DOJ and EPA Targeting eBay for Selling Defeat Devices

In federal court in Brooklyn, the US. Department of Justice, on behalf of the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), filed a complaint against eBay Inc. for unlawfully selling, offering for sale, causing the sale of, and distributing hundreds of thousands of products in violation of the Clean Air Act (CAA).........

The Clean Air Act prohibits selling, offering for sale, or causing the sale or offer of aftermarket parts that defeat motor vehicle emission controls (commonly known as “aftermarket defeat devices”). The complaint alleges that eBay sold, offered for sale, or caused the sale of more than 343,000 such parts.

Next, DOJ and NHTSA need to go after eBay and Amazon for selling illegal, non-compliant LED headlight bulbs.

Tesla driver assist software nag requires hands on the steering wheel. The was a "fatigue" steering wheel gripper that defeated the nanny.
I thought this was horrible! Stupid!
Tesla modified the nag to have you jiggle the steering wheel...

Tesla driver assist software nag requires hands on the steering wheel. The was a "fatigue" steering wheel gripper that defeated the nanny.
I think there's a weight you can buy to defeat that.

I think there's a weight you can buy to defeat that.
That's what I was referring to. The Tesla fix was the jiggle nag. If the vehicle suspects your hands are not on the steering wheel, it asks you to slightly jiggle the wheel.
Then they used an interior camera to check for unattentive drivers, or even sleeping, drivers. This caused a big privacy brouhaha.

I remember as a kid people refusing to wear seat belts because it rumpled their clothes. Plus they had the steering wheel and dash to protect them.

Next, DOJ and NHTSA need to go after eBay and Amazon for selling illegal, non-compliant LED headlight bulbs.

I saw a van with a set of those LED replacement bulbs for sealed beams (the kind you can get on Amazon $50 for a pair of two). The plastic was turning yellow. Wow, what an upgrade.

Plus they had the steering wheel and dash to protect them.
And I remember the steering wheel centers of many 50s-era cars had pointed "bullet" designs aimed right at the driver's chest. Below is an example from a 55-56 Chevy.

55chev.jpg

Last edited:
I hate that crap - flashing a red steering wheel and beeping if I elect to drive with one hand …

Isn't that pretty obvious during the emissions inspection?

It must work out otherwise we wouldn't sell so many, right? I'm wondering if they put it in, drive the car, wait for the monitors to set, then remove it and drive to the smog shop right away before the code sets again. Would that even work? Not sure. Or just lots of lazy/incompetent smog shops, who knows...

It must work out otherwise we wouldn't sell so many, right? I'm wondering if they put it in, drive the car, wait for the monitors to set, then remove it and drive to the smog shop right away before the code sets again. Would that even work? Not sure. Or just lots of lazy/incompetent smog shops, who knows...

I guess that would work. Here in Virginia you're allowed to have uncompleted monitors, the number of which depends on model year, since the catalyst monitor takes the longest to complete, you could drive it till all the others are complete and then take it in.

But if the vehicle fails the test due to a catalyst efficiency code, THAT monitor MUST be complete for the re-test.

IDK? Some of the emission testing stations might not even look at the cat and O2 sensor{s}
But IDK I am just guessing.

They're supposed to do a visual inspection here for emissions, and even for the safety inspection they're still supposed to make sure that a cat is installed. (Only the northern VA area has emissions, the whole state has a safety inspection).

Back