New fuel economy standards for 2016 = +30%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: "loopholes"
One might think the government would use a single set of ratings for both CAFE and vehicle window stickers. But the well-known EPA mileage ratings are not used to calculate CAFE, and the difference can be significant. For example, a vehicle that scores an EPA combined rating of 29 miles per gallon actually contributes 39 MPG to its manufacturer's CAFE average. There are 29 car models and 36 truck models that already achieve the new standard, and about a third of the cars and half of the trucks are produced by a domestic automaker.

Edmunds.com Director of Vehicle Testing Dan Edmunds explained, "CAFE miles per gallon ratings and EPA window sticker MPG ratings were originally generated simultaneously through government lab testing. Window sticker ratings have been downrated twice in the last 25 years to make them more realistic for consumers, while CAFE mpg methods remained the same. So, with each EPA revision, EPA window sticker MPG and CAFE MPG drifted further apart."

If I read between the lines correctly, I remember that CAFE highway mileage was measured at 55 mph, and city cycle mileage was measured using a specific regimen of stop and go driving conditions. This probably hasn't changed in over three decades.

The latest round of EPA highway mileage numbers was lowered a few years ago to reflect that most highway driving is now done in urban settings where people often hit the brakes to trim their speed for congested conditions.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Originally Posted By: jsharp
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

It's a free country and you can drive what you want. I'm sure in 2016 when gas is $5/gallon, there will be plenty of unsold SUVs for people to drive while I drive my 46 mpg car. Either way, it's going to force people to drive fuel efficient vehicles. The sale numbers for SUVs will go so low that the automakers will drop the SUV models. Probably..

Being able to drive want you want only works in a market where companies are free to build what the consumer wants...

That died with the Obama admin

That's ridiculous. If GM and Chrysler had been able to run their companies adequately, they wouldn't be in the mess they are in. Remember, these clowns came to Washington begging for money. Bush or Obama didn't seek them out. When you beg for money, the person who gives it gets to tell you what to do.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
The key to better mileage is lighter-weight cars—in which people die more often in traffic accidents. Since CAFÉ passed in 1975, smaller cars have killed almost 50,000 more people than otherwise would have died on the roads, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported in 2002. CAFE kills up to 3,900 extra people each year, a study by Harvard and the Brookings Institition states. It finds that for every 100 pounds less that an auto weighs, up to 780 more people die in traffic accidents in a year.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/30850102

Yeah ..thinning the herd. So? If you have the economic clout to plow through others, it should be your right, right? Don't be a little person if you don't want to be a statistic.

What's wrong with rewarding success?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back