Cummins to pay $1.67 billion environmental fine

Whenever I see something like this- the question I ask is who is getting the 1.67 Billion? It is unlikely the 1.67 Billion will be going to the US treasury. That is what should be researched.

For an example, you can refer to the VW settlement. 1.45 billion in that case actually did go directly to the US treasury. An additional 2.7 billion of that settlement went to the individual states to administer grant programs to reduce diesel emissions. An example in MN is it paid for school bus fleets to retire older units with worse emissions and replace them with lower emissions units. Overall VW spent over 20 billion worldwide to settle the issue.

At this point theres an accusation of cheating from a Government that has weaponized itself about a company that has run afoul of them before. After the last few years is anyone seriously willing to believe all of this. The process is the punishment. Follow the money and think more globally

At this point theres an accusation of cheating from a Government that has weaponized itself about a company that has run afoul of them before. After the last few years is anyone seriously willing to believe all of this. The process is the punishment. Follow the money and think more globally
But it doesn't seem wrongful of the government to do so when Cummins is "Fully Cooperating" with the payout. They didn't even plead their innocence at all.

But it doesn't seem wrongful of the government to do so when Cummins is "Fully Cooperating" with the payout. They didn't even plead their innocence at all.
Plead innocent to what? What charges were filed? In what court? Civil or criminal charges?

Have you never paid a fine, parking ticket, late fee, that you were not actually responsible for just too have the problem go away? I have dozens of times.

Last edited:
Pleas innocent to what? What charges were filed? In what court? Civil or criminal charges?

Have you never paid a fine, parking ticket, late fee, that you were not actually responsible for just too have the problem go away? I have dozens of times.

It's all over the news. It's a civil penalty not criminal. The biggest civil penalty ever given to be precise so not just a "Parking ticket" like your examples.

If it was simply an accusation, over a billion dollars would buy plenty of legal representation...
And if I'd have paid dozens of fines, late fees, etc, I'd be asking myself what I'm doing wrong. Nearly 50 years old, and not paid a late fee, fine, or parking ticket I didn't deserve.

It's all over the news. It's a civil penalty not criminal. The biggest civil penalty ever given to be precise so not just a "Parking ticket" like your examples.
A reasonable/impartial person can understand why a global corporation would pay 1.67 billion that they more likely than not would win at trial. The cost of the trial and other related issues could far exceed 1.67 billion.

Whenever I see something like this- the question I ask is who is getting the 1.67 Billion? It is unlikely the 1.67 Billion will be going to the US treasury. That is what should be researched.
This has come up over FCPA fines as well …

Reactions: GON
A reasonable/impartial person can understand why a global corporation would pay 1.67 billion that they more likely than not would win at trial. The cost of the trial and other related issues could far exceed 1.67 billion.
Cummins knows what they did & there are many defenders out there no matter the evidence the government has against them. Some of us just can't grasp the reality of what companies are willing to do to people for the sake of the dollar. Now Cummins is paying out for thier actions one of the highest penalties on record $1.67 b.

Last edited:
Corporations have to protect PEAR - or go pear shaped …
People, Environment, Assets, Reputation …

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
For an example, you can refer to the VW settlement. 1.45 billion in that case actually did go directly to the US treasury. An additional 2.7 billion of that settlement went to the individual states to administer grant programs to reduce diesel emissions. An example in MN is it paid for school bus fleets to retire older units with worse emissions and replace them with lower emissions units. Overall VW spent over 20 billion worldwide to settle the issue.
Wow, I learn things every day. I had no idea Minnesota school buses used VW diesel engines in their school bus powertrains. Glad to learn the Minnesota school bus fleets were made whole by VW for VW selling fraudulent VW diesel engines to the Minnesota school bus fleet.

Wow, I learn things every day. I had no idea Minnesota school buses used VW diesel engines in their school bus powertrains. Glad to learn the Minnesota school bus fleets were made whole by VW for VW selling fraudulent VW diesel engines to the Minnesota school bus fleet.
I'm beginning to think facts don't really matter to you. If you can't see that no one here claimed they had VW engines but you & the fact it was an efficient effective way to minimize emissions by buying these busses then you'll continue to believe that Cummins shares no responsibility either. Twisting the facts about VW.. :unsure:

Last edited:
Cummins knows what they did & there are many defenders out there no matter the evidence the government has against them. Some of us just can't grasp the reality of what companies are willing to do to people for the sake of the dollar. Now Cummins is paying out for thier actions one of the highest penalties on record $1.67 b.

I read a completely different view on this. They apparently tried to work with them for 4 years, in the end they just decided to pay the fine but there is no defeat device. I will try to find the post back.

I read a completely different view on this. They apparently tried to work with them for 4 years, in the end they just decided to pay the fine but there is no defeat device. I will try to find the post back.
I don't understand why there would be a defeat device anyway. I figured if it is even remotely like the VW issue, it must just be tuning. Of course in the case of VW we know that was intentional deception, but we don't really know what happened here.

This seems like its related to alternate tune mode, typical used to protect the engine or after-treatment system, that the vehicle can go into for one reason or another. My guess is Cummins disclosed it to the EPA but maybe its activating more then it should be/disclosed. The other possible option could be related to OBD diagnostic system, and it isn't able to detect a failure mode of the SCR it is required to. But my guess would be its the first option.

I don't understand why there would be a defeat device anyway. I figured if it is even remotely like the VW issue, it must just be tuning. Of course in the case of VW we know that was intentional deception, but we don't really know what happened here.

Exactly, there is a difference between intentionally deceiving the agency, vs trying to work within the bounds and maybe getting it wrong or there being some miscommunication somewhere. At this point I don't think we have any evidence of the former, Cummins did not actually admit to doing anything wrong they're simply paying the fine to move on.

I have a hard time believing that any diesel company would take a chance on a defeat device/software after VW and Eco Diesel, but of course anything is possible.

Back