Crusty Casserole

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking about BITOGers. I apologize for any confusion.
grin2.gif

I'm still trying to find rice bran oil.

Maybe I should buy macadamia nut oil. That one I don't have to import.

I use mostly grapeseed oil.

Originally Posted By: moribundman

I use mostly grapeseed oil.

That stuff is expensive! All of the boutique oils that are relatively healthy and withstand high heat cost a grip.

I just stick with the old standbys of EVOO and butter. None of the rancid generic "vegetable oil" in my kitchen.

Edit: Looking online I see that grapeseed oil is not that expensive. I guess my local grocery only carries the expensive brand.

I use grapeseed oil because it imparts almost no flavor on the food. I like safflower oil for the same reason.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Grapeseed is cheaper than almost any decent olive oil down here.

Around here you can go to the grocery store and find 37 varieties of olive oil, but maybe only 1 or 2 of grapeseed oil. Grapeseed oil is a very low volume product, most people around here have never heard of it.

Then again, I think that most cooking oils are a low volume product at the large grocery chain stores that most of the public shop at. Why? Garbage convenience foods make up the bulk of most peoples diets. Lean Cuisine, Hungry Man Meals, Pizza, Pop Tarts, etc. Heat and eat, just like fast food. "Cooking" means Hamburger Helper or spaghetti noodles and a jar of Ragu. No cooking oil required for that junk. "Saute? What's that?"

Despite the continued popularity of Food Network, Top Chef, and more amazing restaurants opening than ever, cooking in the USA is a dying art with the general public. Just like reading books. People claim they don't have time, but are generally just too lazy and distracted by stupid diversions like American Idol and a gamut of fictional crime and medical TV shows.

It's sad...

I know single Mums who have nothing to do, and all the time in the world to do it in claim that they have no time to cook, as their reason to put Pizza the Hutt, Red Rooster, McDonalds, KFC, and Dominos on rotation...while soaking up Oprah and Dr Phil and developing new phobias to not work in certain professions.

There's some great stuff out there...cold pressed Australian EVOO in 2 litre casks for $19...will last months and months. A dinner of spag bol and home made garlic bread can be made for 1/2 of the price of Ronald's rubbish for a single night.

Crock pot a stew, corned beef etc, 10 minute prep, 6 hours of Dr Phil...ermmm cooking, and there it is.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Crock pot a stew, corned beef etc, 10 minute prep, 6 hours of Dr Phil...ermmm cooking, and there it is.

They sell frozen ready to go crock pot meals at the store - meat, veg and starch all in one bag. Dump and heat. Plenty of additives but yet so little flavor? Hmmmm.

The sad thing is that I think the average American actually watches on average something like 5 or 6 hours of TV per day. I find that AMAZING. Most of the time my TV only gets watched on Sunday, for sports or a few hours in the evening.

I MUCH prefer to post endlessly on BITOG, or read, or go out on the town. But most people avoid urban downtown areas because the 10 o'clock news told them that it's a scary place full of wandering criminals.

Anyway, this is getting WAY
32.gif

I cook or grill almost all of my meals and have for over 35 years. Love to experiment with food, mix in different types of spices quite frequently.

Just a few:

Ribs (45 people said they were the best they ever had)

Steaks (3 types of rib & steak rubs)

Chicken (hickory rib rub, paprika, etc.)

Pork Chops

Beef roasts with carrots, potatoes, onions and gravy for 4 hours at 300F

Hot dish (casserole)

Freshwater fish (3 types of seasoning)

Salmon (soy sauce & brown sugar)

Carrot cake (with 3 jars of baby food for moistness) with cream cheese frosting

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I cook or grill almost all of my meals and have for over 35 years. Love to experiment with food, mix in different types of spices quite frequently.

Just a few:

Ribs (45 people said they were the best they ever had)

Steaks (3 types of rib & steak rubs)

Chicken (hickory rib rub, paprika, etc.)

Pork Chops

Beef roasts with carrots, potatoes, onions and gravy for 4 hours at 300F

Hot dish (casserole)

Freshwater fish (3 types of seasoning)

Salmon (soy sauce & brown sugar)

Carrot cake (with 3 jars of baby food for moistness) with cream cheese frosting

Hey neighbor, hows it going? If you see a black Acura pulling up in front of your house, that's me! You make the ribs, I'll bring the drinks and a few attractive young ladies!
LOL.gif

Dude, seriously, come over sometime and yes since I am a single guy bring over the ladies!
thumbsup2.gif

If they're really good looking, I'll break out my homemade garlic/dill pickles!
grin2.gif

Also, when it warms up a bit, we'll have a bonfire in my cobblestone paver firepit.

I have used macadamia oil for brushing cake molds. Usually I use hazelnut oil for that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back