Taco/Burrito mix

I'm a very good cook, and going to make a suggestion/recipe. I make this or a variation regularly, and devour it over several simple leftover meals. Enjoy.

2 pounds lean ground beef
1 pound of your favorite hot or mild sausage
Onion
Various bell peppers (green, red, orange, yellow)
Proportional hot peppers optional
Mushrooms (optional)
Diced grilled/fried potatoes/hashbrowns (optional carb filler)
Rice (optional carb filler)
2 Tomatoes, fresh or canned
1 can of black beans, kidney, or other beans are okay too.
1-2 cans of green chilies (critical ingredient IMO)
Taco seasoning of choice
Mexican cheese blend.
Salsa of choice.
Optional: Fresh tomatoes and lettuce, onion, etc.
Taco or burrito shells

Steps
Grill up the meat, drain grease.
Add veggies, cook medium heat.
Separately, cook your carbs - rice or potatoes if you want this filler. I usually do.
Add this to the meat/veggie mix.
Add taco seasoning as directed, a little water is helpful if too dry.
Now you have a huge amount of meat, veggies, and filler for probably 15 servings.
Take shell, place cheese on BOTTOM of shell. Then add meat. Top with salsa.

I make variations of this all the time, and it is incredibly delicious, healthy, and filling.

Last edited:
I’m sorry, rice and potatoes have zero business being in taco or burrito fillings.
I disagree. They are both very commonly used in authentic Mexican recipes. I've spent a lot of time in Southern CA and eaten at many hole-in-the-wall Mexican dives and food trucks. Less common than those ingredients is ground beef. Typically it's carne asada, shredded beef or shredded chicken (or carnitas, birria, etc). Now, in highly Americanized Mexican "style" food, rice and potatoes are hardly ever used as fillings.

But the OP did list those ingredients as optional. ;)

I disagree. They are both very commonly used in authentic Mexican recipes. I've spent a lot of time in Southern CA and eaten at many hole-in-the-wall Mexican dives and food trucks. Less common than those ingredients is ground beef. Typically it's carne asada, shredded beef or shredded chicken (or carnitas, birria, etc). Now, in highly Americanized Mexican "style" food, rice and potatoes are hardly ever used as fillings.

But the OP did list those ingredients as optional. ;)
We have an authentic Mexican restaurant near me. No rice in their stuff. Carnitas, Al Pastor, Chirizo. If I want rice and Gringo TeX-Mex food, I head to Taco Bell. But, I don’t and can’t stand Taco-Bell or any place that serves similar food.

Mexican cuisine, either authentic or 'shopping mall', is fine by me as it's all so straightforward and good.
Though I adore the restaurant industry for a number of reasons, the A-10 Warthogs can practice on Taco Bell restaurants for their excessive prices and horribly misleading TV commercials.

Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to see what my grocery store has in the way of, "cans of green chilis".

I’m sorry, rice and potatoes have zero business being in taco or burrito fillings.
And that's why some ingredients are optional.
Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to see what my grocery store has in the way of, "cans of green chilis".
In the midwest it can be a difficult ingredient but I lived in the SW for a short time and learned that green chilis are a staple ingredient. They are really delicious and not hot at all.

Back