Coworker thinks 10w30 is obsolete

Also a good example of how a relatively low pour point doesn’t always result in a superior winter rating. It still would not be desirable for starting below 0F.
Yep. The CCS always seems to be the W grade's limiting factor. Often it looks like the boarder line pumping would pass at least a grade lower.
A little head room and extra layer of protection is always a good thing. If the engine starts, the oil better pump.

Also a good example of how a relatively low pour point doesn’t always result in a superior winter rating. It still would not be desirable for starting below 0F.

True.

Though it can work down to -13 F. Which coincidentally is about the coldest temp I have ever seen here in southeast Va. January 1985. Got down to -12F on that Monday am after the Super Boel between the 49ers and Dolphins.

Of course pils are allowed to slip a W grade while in service. So obviously a 10w can slip to a 15w.

Fresh 10w30 would be just fine more or less south of interstate 70 across the US from Baltimore to Denver.

I'd say it's definitely not obsolete but maybe getting outdated now or perhaps long in the tooth.

I don't have a problem at all with it, I've used it in my Civic even during winter and doesn't typically get that cold where I'm at, sometimes it drops into the teens or 20's but rarely ever single digits, a good synthetic is light-years from anything made in the past.

I'd say it's definitely not obsolete but maybe getting outdated now or perhaps long in the tooth.
B3F5C6B8-878C-46B3-B7BF-EE13263C34C1.jpeg

B491DF23-3373-48CA-BC75-A372AE0CB585.jpg

10w30 Havoline Lifelong is still $21 for 6 quarts while 5w30 is almost $30. Tempting to use in my 5w30 vehicles, especially in the South.
Yep, I just ordered 4 boxes of Pro-DS 10W-30 and will use it in my truck that is spec'd for 5W-30. Here in Florida it will do just fine. It's not Dexos approved in that weight but it is SP rated.

In the fleet world, 10W30 has largely replaced 15W40 in semi trucks. The only new diesels we get that still use 15W40 are the spotter trucks equipped with a Cummins B6.7.
at the company I work at everything gets Mobil 10w30 HDEO.

from the chevy shop trucks and vans/cars to the semi trucks and spotter trucks.

Although I have a new jug of Valvoline 10W30 SP / GF-6 rated oil on deck for my Spring fill - some members here now believe with the new SP / GF-6 D1 / Gen 3 5W30 synthetic oils , there is little reason to use a 10W30 synthetic oil anymore ? ... *I chose a 10W30 synthetic to try for the health of my GDI engine (looking for lower NOACK and low added VII's to the oil. That may not be necessary now with improved 5W30 D1 / Gen 3 synthetic oils (especially the new triple action M1 5W30 D1 / Gen 3 rated synthetic oil)

Here in Europe it certainly is, i don't know a single parts store, gas station or anywhere that carries 10w30 in my city, it has never been a mainstream viscosity in Europe.
10w40 Syn Blend oils are still probably the best sellers here in Spain.

Just because CAFE essentially requires thin oils from the manufacturers’ recommendations hardly means that the protection offered by a good 10w30 is obsolete, or unable to be enjoyed in today’s engines.

One can say that 10W-30 was also a "fuel conserving" CAFE oil and is supplanting 15W-40 in the heavy equipment HDEO world in many applications as noted above...

This.

In terms of passenger car applications, I believe FCA was the last to spec 10W-30 for anything....

Yeah, the Chrysler 3.5L HO is probably that last NA engine to recommend it. Prior to that the GM 3800 Series II also did into the early 2000's...

Still spec'd for my lawn mower though... :)

Last edited:
Back