Coworker thinks 10w30 is obsolete

Since most here know I’m a good person and I believe in paying it forward; gave my co worker with a beat to heck F-150 truck 2 5quart jugs of Providence 10w30 motor oil.

Then he says “ain’t 10w30 like obsolete?” I just walked away, and said “it’s free for gripes sake, is it not?”

I’m not using it; waiting on my no VII 5w20 from HPL Lubricants for my Focus

Is 10w30 actually obsolete? I don’t think it is
In a really old car like from the '80s or '90s that was spec'd for a 5:30 or 10:30 I would have no trouble running the 10w30 especially with how much advanced even the premium conventionals are.

Hey, I still have a fax machine, connected to a landline. Actually use it every few months. But it's also a copier and a printer, so no rolls of fax paper for that one.
What were those machines called before they were called fax machines? I thought it was like doohickey or widget or something weird like that. I know we have one at our other house but I think we've only used it to make a copy of another piece of paper or get a bid request on bulk materials.

What were those machines called before they were called fax machines? I thought it was like doohickey or widget or something weird like that. I know we have one at our other house but I think we've only used it to make a copy of another piece of paper or get a bid request on bulk materials.
Your maybe thinking of a telex machine? Even before my time, which is saying something.

My sister who is 10 years older than me got a secretary job in "town", and I remember her describing using it over dinner. Everyone was in awe in its abilities, or so I recall. I was likely around 9.

In a really old car like from the '80s or '90s that was spec'd for a 5:30 or 10:30 I would have no trouble running the 10w30 especially with how much advanced even the premium conventionals are.

In the winter temps we get around here it'd be fine. Not so sure about a place like International Falls, MN.

There is a difference between obsolete and obsolescent.

Obsolete means the use value of somethnig is not high enough to justifiy using it even if given free in perfect condtion.
An example is a WW1 batteleship.
No modern navy would choose to operate it given the high costs for as little combat power as is gained from its existence.
Other examples: A civil war machine gun would not be operated by any military even if given free.

Obsolescent:
If someone were to make this new today it would be made differently, but this device still functions and if given free people would happily use it as its use value is not exclipsed by the many, fueling, maintianing effort for it.
Examples: A perfect condition 1979 Mercedes benz S class, Luger P08 pistol, MP 40 submachine gun, an early mark DDG51 destroyer.

I think it debuted about 70 or so years ago. I ordered a 6 qt jug of Valvoline Maxlife 10/w/30 from Amazon on 12/22/22. My buying history says it’s the 6th time I have ordered it. My Walmart still stocks it but buying from Amazon keeps me out of a Walmart. Could it be safe to say it might be the most popular multi vis oil ever? IDK.

Last edited:
That grade (10w-30) is not "obsolete". As long as there are old cars still in use which were spec'd for it, it will have use.
Obviously, it's not a grade that has any common application in typical PCMO ICEs today.
It has become somewhat common in HDEO applications today.

The first ones we got at work still used the heat sensitive roll paper. They were still called Fax machines though. Xerox I think, was the brand.
(edit:) Oh yeah, they still had the audible modem connection over a landline.

Back