Costco Gas - Very much worth the membership cost.

Never thought I would see more consumers challenged to fill a vehicle fuel tank than Costco members in California. Observing them in the line gives one a sense they are super educated...... and deeply lack critical thinking. Like every time they open the fuel door .... is like they never did it before. Every single step from pulling up to the pump to getting a fuel purchase receipt and all steps in between... seems to be quite the challenge for so many California Costco members purchasing their fuel at Costco.... but we all know they only buy their fuel at Costco so they can get the one percent rebate or whatever it is.....

Well, I am wrong. Sam's Club consumers in Columbia, SC area are even more challenged in putting fuel in their vehicle. For a very different reason than California Costco members. In Columbia, Sam's Club members struggle to understand the one way in, one way out of the fuel station. They also seem to want to cut the line..... easier leaving a parking lot at the end of a fireworks show than getting fuel at a Sam's Club in Columbia, SC in a orderly/ timely manner.

Still worth the nuttiness' of buying premium fuel at such a good discount at Costco and Sam's Club....

Maybe a nice dissertation doctorate subject for a psychology major on why California Costco members and South Carolina Sam's Club members are so wacky purchasing fuel....... :unsure:
It's all over! People get out of car, go to the pump, look thru their purse for their card, have trouble getting their card read(now they all have touch and go card readers), open their gas cap, wrestle with the nozzle, take their time putting the nozzle back and closing up their gas cap, getting back in their car, getting settled and starting the car. Before the new card readers, every time I went to Costco gas station there was someone who couldn't get the pump to read their card and had to get the attendant. These days I profile people in a line before I get in.

It's all over! People get out of car, go to the pump, look thru their purse for their card, have trouble getting their card read(now they all have touch and go card readers), open their gas cap, wrestle with the nozzle, take their time putting the nozzle back and closing up their gas cap, getting back in their car, getting settled and starting the car. Before the new card readers, every time I went to Costco gas station there was someone who couldn't get the pump to read their card and had to get the attendant. These days I profile people in a line before I get in.
They are the reason I quit Costco all together … always backed up in the road blocking traffic … almost had a wreck … Adios Costco clowns …

Been very happy with Costco's price for Top Tier gas. Least expensive in the area. The wait is minimal at my Costco and the others I sometimes use.

I use the CitiBank Costco Visa, so no need to use the Costco membership card at the pump to initiate a purchase, plus I get a 4% rebate on gas at the end of the year.

All-in-all, a good deal.

seinfeld tuna.jpg
seinfeld costco trunk.jpg

Costco is the closest (1.2 miles) grocery store from my home. Winco is the next closest at 5.0 miles, I shop almost exclusively at Costco. Yes, I have to buy a humongous packages for just two oldies but we got enough storage spaces.

With Costco/Citi visa card (Executive member - $120/yr fee), we get 4% rebate (from Citi) for gas, 2% for anything we buy at Costco, 1% for everything else. Then Executive members get 2% rebate from Costco (including gas) for anything we buy from Costco. Typically we get two checks a year, totaling $500 a year, more than enough to offset the membership fee not to mention the huge savings we enjoy for a lot of groceries and gas.

Last edited:
On average I think Costco is about 5-6 cents a gallon cheaper than my local station with their points system and using a cash back credit card, so the basic membership wouldn't pay for us just on gas anyways. The local indian reserve is on average 40-45 cents gallon cheaper than Costco but its 10 miles away so I don't go there unless its on the way. Its free for all capitalism on the reserve, with 4 gas stations, and over a dozen marijuana and smoke shops, and a population of a 1000. They are doing quite well for themselves.

Fortunately, we have a Costco fairly close by. I will admit that it is typically all I run in the Hybrid. However, I also hate the stereotypical Costco member. Clueless, slow, cheap, and typically self-absorbed. Though, I love the place, especially for gas. Top Tier that is usually 30 cents cheaper per gallon, AND 2% cash back at the end of the year? Sign me up! Oh..wait.

Sam’s Club near me is usually from 25 cents to 35 cents cheaper than other gas stations.

93 is $3.15 at the 'co..... nearly $4 everywhere else. V. Worth it. Plus my right side tanks on my VW are a key to no wait b/c so many don't know you can fill from either side.

20210730_195418.jpg

Never thought I would see more consumers challenged to fill a vehicle fuel tank than Costco members in California. Observing them in the line gives one a sense they are super educated...... and deeply lack critical thinking. Like every time they open the fuel door .... is like they never did it before. Every single step from pulling up to the pump to getting a fuel purchase receipt and all steps in between... seems to be quite the challenge for so many California Costco members purchasing their fuel at Costco.... but we all know they only buy their fuel at Costco so they can get the one percent rebate or whatever it is.....

Well, I am wrong. Sam's Club consumers in Columbia, SC area are even more challenged in putting fuel in their vehicle. For a very different reason than California Costco members. In Columbia, Sam's Club members struggle to understand the one way in, one way out of the fuel station. They also seem to want to cut the line..... easier leaving a parking lot at the end of a fireworks show than getting fuel at a Sam's Club in Columbia, SC in a orderly/ timely manner.

Still worth the nuttiness' of buying premium fuel at such a good discount at Costco and Sam's Club....

Maybe a nice dissertation doctorate subject for a psychology major on why California Costco members and South Carolina Sam's Club members are so wacky purchasing fuel....... :unsure:
Not sure which sams you’re going to but I know the one at Sandhills is stupid when you try to get gas there. Not only is it small, but you add in the idiots like you mentioned and it gets real dumb, real quick. I drive by the Costco every day and get gas there. Much better. I’ve only had to wait like one time in the year I’ve been going there.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but using the Citi Costco Visa gives another 4% saving.

Back