Combination wire stripper and crimper

Combination wire stripper and crimper Just picked up this channel lock brand combination wire stripper and crimper to swap into my mobile kit. I realize I have a stripper but no crimper… I’ve been using a harbor freight unit for a long time and it works fine, although at home I use a nicer ratcheting crimper. Wondering if these channel locks are worth it or if I should just bite the bullet and get some Kliens or if there’s a similar wera or wish model I should be looking at?

883E0000-C286-4CCB-8BB2-544D88BB8196.jpeg

Those really aren't crimpers. They'll strip wire and cut small bolts nicely... but that's not much of a way to climp much of anything.

If your a professional electrician, I'd say buy the best tools you can get your hands on. If your just a home guy who will use the tool once a year, go to Harbor Freight. I have at least 3 of those tools that I use 1 every other blue moon. So paying alot for them is wasting money on something you could use for something else.,,,

That style is OK, but a lot depends on the quality; play between the two pieces. If you are a serious hobbyist or more, or work on boats or anything critical, buy a good crimper and stripper set; Wiha, Knipex, Klein, etc.

I keep a pair of those in each old vehicle as a roadside tool, but have the good stuff at home.

If you prefer that style, Knipex make one of the best.

I've never been very happy with that style of wire stripper/crimper. The stripper portion does a satisfactory job, but the crimp portion has never given me results that I was satisfied with. So I recently bought one similar to this, but will strip 22-12 AWG stranded / 20-10 AWG solid, and does a little nicer of a job at it. And the crimper gives me good results. I also like the plier nose on the end. It works great at looping solid wire for going on a screw type terminal. And the wire cutter does a nicer job too.

I've used one of those for years, not bad, but there are better ones out there. Like others have said, it takes a lot of strength to crimp much using those. Back when I bought them, I had that hand strength, not so much anymore.
I'll give you a tip though, keep all of your skin on the blue parts of the handle! That back crimping slot is perfect for causing blood blisters!!!

I've used one of those for years, not bad, but there are better ones out there. Like others have said, it takes a lot of strength to crimp much using those. Back when I bought them, I had that hand strength, not so much anymore.
I'll give you a tip though, keep all of your skin on the blue parts of the handle! That back crimping slot is perfect for causing blood blisters!!!
...i've demonstrated that to myself the hard way!

Definitely not a pro but I do a lot of DIY, especially automotive. Plus, when I hit the road for vacation or whatnot (or just a road side assist for the wife) I grab a tool bag go-kit I've put together. Right now its running seperate strippers, crimpers and pliers. I'd like a good quality stripper/crimper for that to reduce the number of tools. Just needs to handle 12awg to 22awg repair crimps. If I am intentionally building something I'll likely have my ratcheting crimpers to use.

I've never been very happy with that style of wire stripper/crimper. The stripper portion does a satisfactory job, but the crimp portion has never given me results that I was satisfied with. So I recently bought one similar to this, but will strip 22-12 AWG stranded / 20-10 AWG solid, and does a little nicer of a job at it. And the crimper gives me good results. I also like the plier nose on the end. It works great at looping solid wire for going on a screw type terminal. And the wire cutter does a nicer job too.

You nailed it. There are several companies, including Klein, who have that same stripper/crimper. My guess is they're all made in the same factory and only the name is changed. As with most of the "combo" tools, (not all), it does nothing well, but is passable.

As others have mentioned... How often do you need this tool? The item you selected will do fine. I have a bunch of these and they work well for my needs.

If anything... I'm thinking of getting an automatic stripper just because... This one seems decent and came recommended from a YouTube video - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097SZ1F7...olid=1U8IOZYYBRB9J&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Yes...Not a big name...but really... What isn't made in China these days? High end tools are worth the cost if you're a professional electrician. Otherwise... the Channel Locks are perfect fine.

I have several of those tools that I use for stripping wire. They all do what they're designed to do. And they all work reasonably well. However, for crimping I'm finding I don't possess the hand strength at almost 70, that I did at 40. Regardless of the hand tools I use.

So I purchased one of these. I can't recommend it enough. It produces a far superior crimp, than anything that can be applied by hand. And it comes with a complete set of dies, in a nice hard plastic case for most any wire gauge. With the hydraulic power it produces, I can even crimp soldered on 0 Gauge copper battery terminals.

Combination wire stripper and crimper Just picked up this channel lock brand combination wire stripper and crimper to swap into my mobile kit. I realize I have a stripper but no crimper… I’ve been using a harbor freight unit for a long time and it works fine, although at home I use a nicer ratcheting crimper. Wondering if these channel locks are worth it or if I should just bite the bullet and get some Kliens or if there’s a similar wera or wish model I should be looking at?

View attachment 100620
Those are great. Many hvac and plumbers use that style stripper/crimper. They’re good for crimping “sta-kon” wire connectors. For electrical I use a smaller ergonomic stripper and separate crimper for ground crimps.. in my plumbing bag I have strippers similar to the channellock made by craftsman.
20220525_080418.jpg
20220525_080322.jpg

Last edited:
That online price is about $10 cheaper than my local in store price. I’d recommend these as well. I have the Snap On set that looks identical to these and have loved them. Plenty sturdy enough to crimp the non insulated metal butt connectors I prefer to use(then cover with heat shrink).

I’ve had my set long enough that the Snap On cost me then what the Napa ones do now. Used them daily for a few months due to the LCM recall on the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis. Definitely worth buying.

Back