New Doyle Wire Strippers / Long Nose Pliers at HF

This is for all those who say HF is junk. Stopped by today to look around, and since I work in HVAC , I'm always on the lookout for something I can use. The new combination tools are a real boon to those of us who have to carry tools. I use the combo wire stripper/ long nose pliers A LOT, and now have several pair of them. Some from Southwire, Klein, Milwaukee, and now HF's own Doyle brand.They all seem to have their pros and cons, but here's a look at the ones I use the most, which is Milwaukee version 2 pliers. they're a bit smaller than most and have spring action. The Doyle pliers have a crimper and no spring, so I like the tradeoff. The Doyle are lifetime guaranteed and the clerk pointed out to me when I checked out that it was a "no questions asked" over the counter replacement. Both sets have nice insulated handles and strip wire accurately. The Doyle have larger handles, and slimmer jaws, although I can't imagine any place that one would work and the other wouldn't, so that is subjective. I like the fact that Milwaukee redesigned these pliers and improved the minor faults of the version 1 stripper/pliers, and also, I love their new hand tools, really well designed and fantastic handles. So, for me to go with Doyle, even for a test ride in my tool bag, is a real testament to their quality/design. I have taken the newest forged Klein combos out of my toolbag yet, but we'll see.

The Doyle pliers are $3 cheaper than the Milwaukee.If I am understanding Milwaukee's website correctly, their pliers are not made in the USA and neither are the Doyle.
I'll be using the Doyle pliers daily for a while, and see howt they do, but they sure feel really top quality.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

None taken,
But, I've got Klein forged stripper/crimpers in my service bags now and I must say I like them more, but they're a slightly different design. The Klein multipurpose long nose pliers would more closely compare to the Milwaukee and Doyle, and on that front, there's not much real difference. I used the Klein multipurpose pliers for a long time, and swapped them out for the Milwaukee and won't be going back to them. But hey, that's why they make different brands.

HF highest quality lines of tools have gotten up there in price. Not like SNAP-ON but in comparison to Husky, Kobalt, Craftsman.

They have a OBDII scanner for over $1000. I see its $999 now. But software updates are $499 after year one. Its bi-directional.

I would compare that to the Auto Enginuity which runs on a PC. And if you only want one or two manufacturers (like Ford) then the Auto Enginuity is cheaper.

While requiring a PC does require a PC, if you drop if you have not lost the Auto Enguity license. Just the physical electronics.

I started buying SK Tools. High quality, but not Snap On etc.....SK isn't cheap. If aforementioned pliers work, well that's why there is strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate. Each to their own.

Trav certainly knows his tools! Happy Holidays!

Check out Engineer brand from Japan, very useful specialty pliers and well made. Also sold under the Vampire brand in the US, the only difference is the grip color red vs green and the price.
The SK are very well made and US made and not really high priced.

I'd like to have a combination of a wide nose pliers like a lineman's pliers for twisting, wire cutters like a lineman's pliers, and a wire stripper. I'm not sure how a needle nose stripper would be twisting wires. I like the wider head, that's why I twist with a lineman's pliers.

Originally Posted by Onetor
I started buying SK Tools. High quality, but not Snap On etc.....SK isn't cheap. If aforementioned pliers work, well that's why there is strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate. Each to their own.

Trav certainly knows his tools! Happy Holidays!

SK is my go to as well!

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
I'd like to have a combination of a wide nose pliers like a lineman's pliers for twisting, wire cutters like a lineman's pliers, and a wire stripper. I'm not sure how a needle nose stripper would be twisting wires. I like the wider head, that's why I twist with a lineman's pliers.

You mean like these Kleins?

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I have the same set of pliers and they are pretty darn nice IMO.

People seem to revere Milwaukee tools as some kind of gold standard. IMO for the price Milwaukee charges, they should be USA made, not China or Vietnam.

Last edited:
No offense but you are comparing cheap homeowner crap to cheap homeowner crap. Compare it to Knipex, Klein, Snap on, Hazet, etc and neither are looking very good.
So you're calling Milwaukee tools cheap homeowner crap? I see people in construction, electricians, plumbers use Milwaukee on the job, what should they be using?

So you're calling Milwaukee tools cheap homeowner crap? I see people in construction, electricians, plumbers use Milwaukee on the job, what should they be using?
I'd guess Hilti followed by Metabo then Makita ;)

Back