Loosening up a tight pair of pliers.

Flush the WD-40 out of there with a bit more liquid wrench. WD-40 will gum up over time and make this much worse.

I think you’ve done all that you can. Lubricate them and continue to open/close to break in the parts. I think the penetrating oil, like Liquid Wrench, is a better choice, because it will coat all the moving parts internally, and still allow them to wear a bit (which is what break in really is).

Flush the WD-40 out of there with a bit more liquid wrench. WD-40 will gum up over time and make this much worse.

I think you’ve done all that you can. Lubricate them and continue to open/close to break in the parts. I think the penetrating oil, like Liquid Wrench, is a better choice, because it will coat all the moving parts internally, and still allow them to wear a bit (which is what break in really is).
I'll keep trying, if not, I'll take them back. I like it when my pliers pretty much fall open.

Id make some ed's red and soak them at the pivot for a while. Move it every so often...

Beyond that if theyre tight, you need to break them in a bit by using them.

I use contact cleaner on the pivot of my lineman pliers and work them.

Have never had a use for wire strippers.

Thats why i buy Klein they always have that nice broken in feel.

Can you wobble the handles back and forth? More than likely its not a lubrication issue its the flush rivet from machining.

I have that same set of Craftsman and they work very well. After your post, I went to the local Lowes and tried a few of them. Some were tight, some were loose, and some were just right. Apparently quality control is less than stellar. That's too bad because these pliers are very functional.

Back