Hose Gripping Ring-Nose Pliers ?

Is a ring-nose plier set a usefull tool set for the DIY mechanic, for removal of vacuum hoses and small diameter coolant hoses?
Seems that having only one length and one ring angle would be a big limitation.

Gearwrench has a double pivot ring-nose plier set for $69, but the latest production run is getting poor reviews at Amazon.

This is a different style of hose removal tool, for smaller hoses, but it looks very usefull. I think I will order one.

These can also be used to push down the locking clips on push to lock connectors in places too tight for hands. Life savers for getting GM heater hoses loose up against the firewall. Got mine at Harbor Freight for $15. If I never use them again it was worth every penny.

Last edited:
The Mayhew tool is for removing hose clamps. I am asking about pliers to grip the hose.

Is a ring-nose plier set a usefull tool set for the DIY mechanic, for removal of vacuum hoses and small diameter coolant hoses?
I have the last one on the list and find it useful for many occasions. Never considered the ring-nose but the guy on South Main said they are useful and at the price of the first one, I may jump. Needing a $15 item on AMZ and this will bump it to free shipping.

Gearwrench has a double pivot ring-nose plier set for $69, but the latest production run is getting poor reviews at Amazon.

This is a different style of hose removal tool, for smaller hoses, but it looks very usefull. I think I will order one.

Those types of pliers are very useful, check these out. I have been using a little since I got them, they are great for small and big hose in places you can use them. Just another tool not the only one.

I’d look at the gearwrench x pliers. The problem with my hose pliers is that opening the gripping end sometimes requires you to open wide the handle side a lot, and if you’re trying To remove something further away, you can’t get the handles opened wide enough because other hoses and things are in the way.

Back