Coffee - Your Current Brew

Mayorga coffee, a roaster in Rockville, Maryland:

IMG_7194.jpeg
IMG_7195.jpeg
IMG_7196.jpeg

I used a Mr Coffee for a week in HI. It worked just fine, even the first time when I was just estimating coffee/H2O ratios.

The coffee was GREAT.

My pushing 200 IQ wife nails it again: "Pablo - seems like the variable is the coffee at that level. Use good coffee and the brewing methods could be many"
I agree. Using my inexpensive Mr. Coffee is sort of like running a Bentley through Jiffy Lube. But the results are coming out good. I carefully weigh in just the right amount of coffee and have the perfect cup.

Mayorga coffee, a roaster in Rockville, Maryland:

I've never had Mayorga Coffee (though, years ago I got a few bags for free but they were whole bean. My parents ended up using it.) but I used to smoke their cigars all the time. The coffee was free with a few box purchases I made. Costco has it now but I still haven't tried it.

I've never had Mayorga Coffee (though, years ago I got a few bags for free but they were whole bean. My parents ended up using it.) but I used to smoke their cigars all the time. The coffee was free with a few box purchases I made. Costco has it now but I still haven't tried it.
I get it in 2 or 2.5 lb. bags at Costco...whole bean. It's very good.

I agree. Using my inexpensive Mr. Coffee is sort of like running a Bentley through Jiffy Lube. But the results are coming out good. I carefully weigh in just the right amount of coffee and have the perfect cup.
The biggest factor is, as you mentioned, the beans.

2nd biggest is your grinder.

Then probably the water you’re using.

Then, the brewer.

Look what The Lady Friend purchased for me for Valentine's Day. Tried it out this morning. Very good first try results. Probably needed a bit more coffee. Very smooth. So far no fines but I know they are down there. Used Tim Horton's Red Bag ground as course as possible.

20240218_115357.jpg

Last edited:
My monthly subscription arrived today. I rarely know what I'm going to get. Today it's Mount Elgon Uganda Organic.
This batch is from a smallholder lot, so there's not much of it around. It has notes of honey and melon and offers a lingering cocoa finish.

peets.jpg

We drank a 80-count box of Peete's Columbian last year. It was sent in mistake of being San Francisco Bay Breakfast Blend pods.

Currently trying Cameron's Breakfast Blend. It's a Light Roast that's as smooth as anything we've had in recent memory.
We both like it and will probably re-order it. Our lives have changed as we began rolling closer to our mid-70s. No more strong, robust, dark-roast-type coffees for us. Those times are now in our rear window forever.

I'm going to say it. I don't know what it is that comes out of those K -cups and Keurig machines...but it's not coffee. Nor is that Nespresso liquid espresso.

I'm going to say it. I don't know what it is that comes out of those K -cups and Keurig machines...but it's not coffee. Nor is that Nespresso liquid espresso.
At the office, Keurig is night and day better than a whole pot that sits 3 hours. It's definitely coffee though.

Back