Cleaned Dishwasher...

Probably has a lot to do with water quality. My well water is softened and my dishwasher (stainless inside) always looks spotless. I do use a drying agent as well, but it looked good even before we started using it when we first moved in.

Now, the drain screens, yea they get a little nasty every once in a while.

Reactions: GON
Stainless and no rinse aid.

I just feel like by the time you prewash in the sink, then put them in the dishwasher, I could be done with it all and waste of water. My two cents.

Again, 2 adults and 4 kids and 4 years later...I guess.

Does your washer actively dry with a heater coil?

If not your drying performance will be greatly improved with rinse aid.
The euro style SS units condense the water against the walls of the unit to dry.
If you dont want to spend the money you can use a low acid white vinegar as substitute or water down higher acid vinegar.

On rinsing I haven't done that in 30 years.

Just scrape whats left into the trash and load er up.

Long time ago when I was knee high to a grasshopper, we used Tang the orange drink in our dishwasher to clean it. Seemed to work but then I wasn't but 8yrs old at the time.

Long time ago when I was knee high to a grasshopper, we used Tang the orange drink in our dishwasher to clean it. Seemed to work but then I wasn't but 8yrs old at the time.
I went to an appliance store and talked to the guy in parts dept . Told him I was getting a dark buildup on the walls of the dishwasher . He held up a bag of " Citric Acid " . He said I could sell you this or you could go to the grocery store and buy jar of Tang . It's the same thing and a lot cheaper . The Tang worked .

I’ll start with..I’ve had a DW for 50 years(not the same one😆). I could never go back to washing dishes in a steaming pool of sink water. I’ve had success with rinse aid, top tier dishwashing liquid, and a occasional vinegar solution. And always purchase a high end machine with a stainless steel tub. Mine is 15 years old and is my best friend. Demands nothing, delivers flawlessly.

Attachments

• 1A6E1AB1-132A-4A30-A65D-9964B0370913.jpeg
    1A6E1AB1-132A-4A30-A65D-9964B0370913.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 19
The wife sends me a video on how "easy" it is to clean the dishwasher. So I get after it and oh my lord...couldn't believe the gunk in there. Used sprays, toothbrush, scrubbing everything, took about 2 hrs. This is after 4 years and in a busy house but the kids put everything in there despite me telling them otherwise. I can't even be bothered half the time to use it would rather just clean them. Jez it was bad.
Let me get this straight. Your wife found info on cleaning a dishwasher, but somehow you are the one that ended up spending 2 hours cleaning it? :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:. Sounds like she had a plan!

I haven't tried the citric acid method that Pablo and Lubener suggest. But I do on occasion run an empty cycle with vinegar. It does a great job at cleaning the stainless steel. Afterwards, I'll shine up the stainless with Sprayway stainless cleaner.

Other than cleaning the door seals on occasion, the only other maintenance I do is cleaning the food trap filter two or three times a year.

Affresh makes both a washer cleaner and dish washer cleaner tablets. I have used the washer ones and they work great. Will have to try the DW ones.

This. People didn't respond when I mentioned it above. Works really awesome, IMHO.
Or vinegar or this stuff

If you have to “clean” the dishwasher the inside that you can’t clean will be worse.

If you use it a lot
a monthly empty cycle with vinegar, citric acid Or dishwasher cleaner should prevent you from needing a mechanical cleaning

I use this once a month. I just throw it in the back of the dishwasher with A load of dishes. I used two discs in an empty dishwasher the first time

I used Cascade powder for many years in my SS DW. I thought everything was hunky-dunky but over time the inside lost it's shine. I tried vinegar and it helped but the build-up came right back. I read about using Lemi-Shine (pretty sure it's just citric acid), but again the scum returned.

I switched to Finish pods and my DW sparkles again & dishes come out truly clean & shiny. I try to keep the Jet Dry dispenser filled but often forget--it doesn't seem to make any improvement since switching to the pods.

The Lemi-Shine has found new life getting my reloading brass extra shiny.

I went to an appliance store and talked to the guy in parts dept . Told him I was getting a dark buildup on the walls of the dishwasher . He held up a bag of " Citric Acid " . He said I could sell you this or you could go to the grocery store and buy jar of Tang . It's the same thing and a lot cheaper . The Tang worked .
And to think we drank that stuff every morning before school. lol

I used Cascade powder for many years in my SS DW. I thought everything was hunky-dunky but over time the inside lost it's shine. I tried vinegar and it helped but the build-up came right back. I read about using Lemi-Shine (pretty sure it's just citric acid), but again the scum returned.

I switched to Finish pods and my DW sparkles again & dishes come out truly clean & shiny. I try to keep the Jet Dry dispenser filled but often forget--it doesn't seem to make any improvement since switching to the pods.

The Lemi-Shine has found new life getting my reloading brass extra shiny.

Lemi shine is great - it's basically citric acid.
Like "oxyclean" is sodium percarbonate.

Is it safe to assume the sugar and dye (assuming orange) in TANG have no affect on the dishwasher?

Back