Cleaned Dishwasher...

I'd think one of several different acids would be cheaper per use than Tang, including lemon juice or vinegar if you just want to use something already in the house.

At the same time, I do pre-rinse, even scrub if cheese is involved, and have never had to clean the dishwasher. My water is fairly hard, so I do use a rinse agent but not heated drying.

I'd think one of several different acids would be cheaper per use than Tang, including lemon juice or vinegar if you just want to use something already in the house.
I'm just looking at different options, because vinegar didn't last long at keeping odours at bay for long. What really works is rinsing the screens before each load and the smell is gone. I wouldn't even know where to buy citric acid.

Last edited:
I'm just looking at different options, because vinegar didn't last long at keeping odours at bay for long. What really works is rinsing the screens before each load and the smell is gone. I wouldn't even know where to buy citric acid.
you're a great candidate for a lone bottle of lemi shine at a grocery store.

Citric acid is also the king at making cloudy drinkware like new -it's absolutely unvbeleiveable if you haven't seen it work.

I highly recommend buying some Citric Acid on Amazon and running the longest and hottest cycle you can with a detergent dispenser full of it. You can do the same in your clothes washer by running 1 cup citric acid on the clean washer cycle. I have never seen anything remove more gunk or hard water residue.
One other thing I recommend is looking into Sodium Tripolyphosphate (STPP) if you have hard water. It isn't legal for residential use anymore, though ;). Adding just 1 tsp along with detergent is insane.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
My DW broke so I had to take it apart and replace the pump. I also cleaned it and it was really gunked up after 17 years of never cleaning it.

I use dollar tree dish powder detergent and have never had a problem. My well water is a stand-in for Poland Spring though. :p

Back