Cleaned Dishwasher...

The wife sends me a video on how "easy" it is to clean the dishwasher. So I get after it and oh my lord...couldn't believe the gunk in there. Used sprays, toothbrush, scrubbing everything, took about 2 hrs. This is after 4 years and in a busy house but the kids put everything in there despite me telling them otherwise. I can't even be bothered half the time to use it would rather just clean them. Jez it was bad.

For a couple of years, I used the Aldi brand of dishwasher detergent. At least, until I realized that it was awful stuff and had gunked up the pump and screens of my dishwasher. (yes, I use HOT water when I run the dishwasher). Through a similar manual cleaning, and vinegar/baking soda, and the use of reputable name brand detergents, I was able to reverse the damage.

I suspect that the Aldi formula was an early phosphate-free product, that simply didn't work as planned. As often happens when the government has these wonderfully good intentions with their mandates.

Admittedly, we do have hard water here, which very well might have been a contributing factor. But it is a factor that the name brand detergents seem to be able to handle just fine.

I would only resort to brushes and stuff for the last resort. Seems like too much work.

Empty the DW

No need for dry cycles - just use strongest cycles for below

First run citric acid powder (fill dispenser available at beer and wine making and other places, Bezos) and white vinegar pour a couple cups in for 3-4 cycles. The stainless should be very bright at this point.

Then run a couple cycles with baking soda. Run a cycle with just water.

Repeat as necessary, cleaning screen(s) as well. Run double detergent if necessary.

It should be spotless. Loaf or do other chores. Be with your family while the DW runs.

Coopns, does your dishwasher have a stainless steel interior or plastic? Do you use a rinse aid?
Stainless and no rinse aid.

I just feel like by the time you prewash in the sink, then put them in the dishwasher, I could be done with it all and waste of water. My two cents.

Again, 2 adults and 4 kids and 4 years later...I guess.

Two big issues- one- hard water. Hard water is brutal on dishwashers and washing machines. If one has hard water, the dishwasher is going to mechanically suffer (and not clean as well). The other issue is the quality of the dishwasher soap- a soap that properly dissolves, and does so quickly is very important.

But back to number one. If the water is hard, the dishwasher will be subject to additional cleaning issues. And a tip- if one has hard water, glass magic is a great product to use in the dishwasher.

I have hard water(of course its all relative)
between jetdry and cascade platinum there is no build up.

I hose off the worst junk in the sink and load em up.

I clean the drain filter every 3 months with Dawn dish soap and an old toothbrush. Use Cascade Dishwasher cleaner pods once a month besides. Use Cascade powder and Cascade 3 N 1 Dry for washing only. Biggest thing is to wash dishes off first and run the water hot. Bosh Dishwasher bought new 10 years ago and still works flawless -- luv that its super quiet also.

I check the screen monthly and then run a cleaner made by Finish through mine. Keeps it spotless. I sometimes wonder why we even have one, as the wife basically cleans the dishes before they go in the dishwasher.

Back