Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know the fine print here? All the ad says is original owner only, non transferrable.

Who's lifetime? Mine or Chryslers?
crushedcar.gif

No deductible. See dealer for a copy of the limited warranty and details. Non-Transferable. Not available on SRT, Diesel vehicles, Sprinter, Ram Chassis Cab, and certain fleet vehicles. On purchases beginning 7/26/07.

GM has 5/100 powertrain. I think it goes with the car, no matter who the owner is. But I could be worng.

I'm curious, does this warranty cover only the powertrain components (block, crank, pistons, transmission)? As cars age, most of the problems with car driveability are the sensors and other (electrical) ancilliary hardware, not the powertrain itself. Powertrains nowadays are rather bulletproof.

If the coverage is limited to "reciprocating components" then a LOT of parts are ignored, including block, heads, bearings, etc.

Is there a shorter warranty that is transferrable included in the lifetime warranty? Perhaps a shorter 3yr/ 36k or something similar? It seems Chrysler may be hurting the resale value of relatively-new used cars by not offering a warranty.
dunno.gif

The factory 3/36 is transferrable. The powertrain (lifetime) is not.

That's why they sell service contracts.

The last Chrysler product I had required something like 26 fuel pumps (all under warranty). Hard to wear the drive train out when the car won't even run. The FIRST Chrysler product I had came with a slant 6 engine...wonderful engine. I still don't trust them, even though I know it may not be reasonable, for example, the 300 Series gets lots of praise. I hope that Chrysler keeps improving, but, it seems to me that banking on a hyper-hyperbole-hung "hemi" engine isn't going to be enough for many people. It sure isn't enough to make me want to buy one.

For $750, this powertrain warranty is available for purchase by owners of 2006 and 2007 model-year vehicles that are still under the 3 yr./36K basic coverage (and are not eligible like the new vehicle owners). At least this is available for the time being, as the Chrysler website indicates it is available to the rest of us 2006/2007 MY owners for "60 days." The Chrysler rep on phone didn't know this...

I've ordered the application, and info, and will report on details when received in "next 5 to 7 business days."

"Powertrain coverage" is reported to cover the "engine, transmission, and drivetrain," although I don't yet have the details. I'm, of course, interested in whether or not I can still perform DIY oil changes. There is suppose to be a free "inspection" performed by a dealer during some "5-year period," but I don't yet know what that means.

Below is the FAQ from the Chrysler website I've poorly described above:

"Q12: If I purchased my vehicle on July 24 or 25, am I still eligible for the new lifetime limited warranty? A12: No. However, Chrysler Service Contracts offers a Lifetime Powertrain service contract that is similar to the Company’s new powertrain warranty program. For 60 days, this plan will be offered at a great value to you if you own a 2006 MY and 2007 MY Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge vehicle with the 3/36 basic limited warranty coverage."

I'm guessing, but don't know, that these are the parts covered (current Mopar coverage - taken from dealer website):

Covered Engine Components
Cylinder Block and all Internal Parts
Cylinder Head Assemblies
Timing Case, Chain, Gears, Belts and Sprockets
Harmonic Balancer
Oil Pump
Water Pump and Housing
Intake and Exhaust Manifolds
Flywheel with Starter Ring Gear
Core Plugs
Valve Covers
Oil Pan
Turbocharger Housing and all Internal Parts
Turbocharger Wastegate Actuator
Supercharger
Fuel Injection Pump and Injectors (Excluding clogged Injectors)
Seals and Gaskets for Listed Components

Covered Transmission Components
Transmission Case and all Internal Parts
Torque Converter
Flex Plate / Drive Plate
Transmission Range Switch
Transmission Control Module
Bell Housing
Oil Pan
Manual Transmission Clutch Parts are not covered at anytime

Covered Front-Wheel Drive Components
Transaxle Case and all Internal Parts
Axle Shaft Assemblies
Constant Velocity Joints and Boots
Front Wheel Bearings
Differential Cover
Oil Pan
Transaxle Speed Sensor
Transaxle Solenoid Assembly
PRNDL Position Switch
Transaxle Electronic Controller
Torque Converter

Covered Rear-Wheel Drive Components
Rear Axle Housing and all Internal Parts
Axle Shafts
Axle Shaft Bearings
Drive Shaft Assemblies
Drive Shaft Center Bearings
Universal Joints and Yokes

Covered Four-Wheel-Drive/All-Wheel-Drive Components
Transfer Case / Power Transfer Unit and all Internal Parts
Viscous Coupler
Front and Rear Axle Housing Assemblies and all Internal Parts
Rear Driveline Module
Axle Shafts
Axle Shaft Bearings
Constant Velocity Joints and Boots
Drive Shaft Assemblies
Drive Shaft Center Bearings
Universal Joints and Yokes
Disconnect Housing Assembly
Differential Carrier Assembly and all Internal Parts
Output Ball Bearing and Flange
End Cover
Overrunning Clutch
Vacuum Motor
Torque Tube
Pinion Spacer and Shim

This should be enough to have Chrysler back on the auction block before too long given the percentage of warranty repairs at the dealership is already at 85%.

The deal is $750 for the lifetime warranty with a $100 deductable or $900 for the Lifetime with a 0 deductable. All the stuff such as non transfeerable etc. is the same as a new 2007 purchase.The vehicle must be a 2006/2007 and still within the 3/36000 warranty. These prices doesnt include sales tax of your state. You can purchase them at your dealership but since dealers are independant they may vary. You also may purchase it directly from Chrysler for the above prices as I did. It was $954 for the 0 ded. with tax. They have 0 financing for 36 months, on it which translates into around $26 a month. The phone number is 1-800-442-2666, ext.6696. I cant see how you can go wrong or how they can lump all vehicles in one price in my case a 2006 Ram 2500 4x4 with a Hemi, how can they sell that warranty for the same price as one on a PT cruiser. Theyll probably sell a ton of these warranties then go bankrupt and let everyone with a worthless warrranty. I hope not.

no plugs, no a/c, no starter, no alternator. no brakes, no , no computer (pcm).
actually no engine electronics at all except for a pump and injecors.

seems like chrysler covered everything but the parts that wear out most frequently.

It still seems like a incrediable deal to me. All seals, gaskets and for me a 4WD the front hubs alone can be $ 1200.00 to replace and they usually wear out by 100,000. Starters, alternators and sparkplugs are all do it yourself and cheap, internal problems like Transmission and engines is where the real big bucks come into play. Its basically a insurance policy for a catastrofic failure. I dont plan on abusing the truck and plan on changing the fluids religiously but for $950 bucks its a nice piece of mind especially if you hear a clunking sound in your tranny at 85,000 miles.

"...it only requires a free inspection once a year to keep it in force if you have records for min required service?"

From their website:

"Are there specific provisions to the new warranty? In
order to maintain the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, you must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge dealer once every 5 years. This inspection, performed at no charge, must be made within 60 days of each 5-year anniversary of the warranty start date of the vehicle. It is your responsibility to perform preventative maintenance on your vehicle. You're strongly encouraged to follow the instructions contained in the Scheduled Maintenance Service guidelines in your Owner's Manual."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back