Changing oil less often is better for your engine - SAE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Patman
Here's the thing with this study that bothers me. That "aged oil" that supposedly shows lower engine wear, is also going to have contamination in it, especially direct injected applications that are dumping more fuel into it. So why would we want to leave our oil in longer when that's going on? Also, you can't possibly get every last drop of old oil out when you change it, there could be 10-15% of your total capacity left behind no matter how long you leave the drain plug off. I know with my Corvette, the manual says the capacity is 7 quarts, but when I refill it, the dipstick shows full with only 6 quarts added. So a lot is being left behind (I have seen pics of the oil pan and I believe a good half quart gets stuck in there alone) So my thought is that if the old oil helps "reactivate" the new oil, we don't really need to do anything different than we're already doing, as you'll always have that little bit of old oil doing it's job.

Has anyone even done testing of say, used oil & filter @ 25,000 miles (to satisfy your extended OCI cravings) and then simply swap in new oil and pull a sample after say, 10-15 mins of idle, then after 100 miles, 500 miles, 1,000 miles etc to see if wear does indeed increase simply with new oil being the only changed variable? This way the loaded oil filter remains the same to keep filtration identical.

I imagine if the fresh oil additives are indeed stripping the boundary layer, what makes us assume it's causing extra wear vs simply doing an initial clean up, and suspending particles that the old oil left behind, hence the increased "wear" in an analysis we see.
I've been doing 3,000 mile OCIs for years and I don't see any increased wear from all that fresh oil flowing thru the engine. In fact, I bet I don't even allow the oil to actually "age" with such short OCi's and thus, this "issue" isn't even an issue for me.

crackmeup2.gif

This brings up a question... how long does it take for an oil to age to perfection, like a good bottle of wine? 1,000 miles? 5,000 miles? 10? 20? When is it considered ripe and toasty? Seems like complete nonsense to me.

I always idle my hot engine after an OC to allow the new oil to flow thru the block nice and slow and "break-in" so to speak before I proceed to pound on it like I'm REALLY TRYING to shear it out of spec on purpose. LOL.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by xtell
Gentleman,

I don't mean to interrupt your discussion but I have a quick question. Why is motor oil so expensive in Canada. I live in Ohio and motor is is pretty cheep. This is a serious question, What's up with the high oil prices?

xtell.

Our dollar is worth 30% less than USD.

And our retailers think a 200% to 300% markup on oil is acceptable. One just has to wait for Canadian Tire and Walmart to have specials, when we're worthy enough to buy from them.
wink.gif

Thank you all for your reply's to my question about oil prices in Canada. A 200% to 300% markup on oil? Man, that's harsh...

nuff said,

xtell

What seems like complete nonsense Artem is the fact that in this day and age your still doing 3k oci's. Unbelievable! Have you learned nothing in the eight years you've been on Bitog? Breaking in new oil, OK...

Yeah we get hosed up here on a lot of things but most Canadians are thrifty shoppers and price match or stock up on deals has been my experience. Unless you are one of the ones living in massive debt then I guess it's irrelevant because you are paying interest on that "deal" anyway.

Yeah we get hosed up here on a lot of things but most Canadians are thrifty shoppers and price match or stock up on deals has been my experience. Unless you are one of the ones living in massive debt then I guess it's irrelevant because you are paying interest on that "deal" anyway.

From what I observed Canadians are open to shopping other avenues for a deal unlike Americans who in general are stubborn and will only shop retail.

Originally Posted by dave1251

From what I observed Canadians are open to shopping other avenues for a deal unlike Americans who in general are stubborn and will only shop retail.

And those of us that live close to the border don't have a problem crossing over to the US to save money on things. I'm an hour away from the border and I go across about once every 4 weeks and pick up things that we can't get up here and things that cost less over there. (for instance I'll grab a few jugs of milk from Walmart in Niagara Falls, it's only $1.79 there compared to over $5 up here)

Originally Posted by madeej11
What seems like complete nonsense Artem is the fact that in this day and age your still doing 3k oci's. Unbelievable! Have you learned nothing in the eight years you've been on Bitog? Breaking in new oil, OK...

I've done my fair share of extended OCIs with past vehicles I owned. I did 2x the factory interval with a 2011 Toyota Avalon, a 2006 Scion tC, and 2006 Civic EX. Some of my cars just get pampered and spoiled. I purposely chase down $1-$2 synthetic oil deals and then gladly dump it after only 3k of use. The synthetic gets recycled, so there's NO WASTE on my end.

We all have our own preferences. You do whatever you want with your cars. I'll do as I wish with mine.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
So what is the conclusion after 10 pages of heated discussion? None

Just by Amsoil Signature Series and change it every 15k miles. Or buy Supertech and do it every 7500. Unless you have direct injection I guess?

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
So what is the conclusion after 10 pages of heated discussion? None

Just by Amsoil Signature Series and change it every 15k miles. Or buy Supertech and do it every 7500. Unless you have direct injection I guess?

Conclusions ?

There are a lot of people who "want to believe", and having not read the paper think that it supports their pre-conceptions.

BTW, my Colorado goes 15,000km on the OLM on Dexos 2...longer if it's all long trips.

That technically there is an minor increase in wear with an oil change it means nothing in the grand scheme of things for those changing their oil more frequently than they have to.

Also some PM discussions going on with regards to this between BITOG folks... There is no benefit to changing the oil before it is condemned using a quality UOA. If the UOA says the lubricant is still fit for duty in all the areas measured changing it earlier makes no difference to engine longevity and only affects ones wallet.
wink.gif

Last edited:
No proof has been given that any of this makes any sense.

I'd rather have fresh oil "protecting" my engine vs old, used, dirty and contaminated oil supposedly offering better protection.

crackmeup2.gif

That technically there is an minor increase in wear with an oil change it means nothing in the grand scheme of things for those changing their oil more frequently than they have to.

Also some PM discussions going on with regards to this between BITOG folks... There is no benefit to changing the oil before it is condemned using a quality UOA. If the UOA says the lubricant is still fit for duty in all the areas measured changing it earlier makes no difference to engine longevity and only affects ones wallet.
wink.gif

True, but the vast majority of car owners do not get uoa's done.

There is no benefit to changing the oil before it is condemned using a quality UOA. If the UOA says the lubricant is still fit for duty in all the areas measured changing it earlier makes no difference to engine longevity and only affects ones wallet.
wink.gif

Except if you are trying to keep a warranty.....

Originally Posted by Brigadier
There is no benefit to changing the oil before it is condemned using a quality UOA. If the UOA says the lubricant is still fit for duty in all the areas measured changing it earlier makes no difference to engine longevity and only affects ones wallet.
wink.gif

Then the warranty remains in tact. There has to be obvious signs of neglect for a warranty to be denied. Like factory fill used for 30K+.

wink.gif

That's complicated. Here in Canada Yes, other parts of the world I don't know, in the U.S. I think this would be covered under Moss-Magnuson right? They have to prove it was a failure of the lubricant and if you have a UOA as documented proof the lubricant was suitable for continued use and changed before the limit established in the UOA, you should be covered.

Now do most people do this? No because they don't want the headache of possibly fighting a dealer with a warranty denial.

Then there is me, who just doesn't care about the warranty because it will be a struggle to claim an engine anyway and I'm capable of repairing any damage I might need to relatively cheap and my repairs are paid for anyway through work. And engine failure between the period of it being new to the end of a normal life is extremely rare today for most OE's because of excellent machining, design/engineering.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
wink.gif

Then the warranty remains in tact. There has to be obvious signs of neglect for a warranty to be denied. Like factory fill used for 30K+.

Well, if you want to take on the deep pockets of an auto manufacturer because you did it your way, then be my guest. The amount of $$ spent on lawyers and missed work and such will far outweigh the $$ spent following the recommended OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back