Redline Drain Intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red Line does a great job in my 4 vehicles. The used oil from three of the vehicles goes into the forth, a 78 Toyota pickup, and a lawn mower.

I also trim around 300+ potted plants in a half acre with a 2-stroke weed wacker and use Red Line 2-stroke oil mixed at 50:1. This weed wacker is 5 years old and eats up about 2 gallons of pre-mix a month. That's a lot of use and it works great with no signs of aging. It's only on it's third spark plug, so I guess the oil is doing a good job, considering I go through 3 to 4 air filters a year.

As much as I just LOVE this oil, all my years with other oils just can't bring me to leave it in as long as they say.

I know of the redline chemistry and it will run in a decent condition engine out to 15K with normal top off 20K is do able but most lab tests here on UOA's do not show TBN which at 15-20K would still be above 1.0
bruce
flame on

I just ran my truck on the as-purchased LC20-in-dino for a about 6m, then an LC cylinder/crankcase flush, then the first ARX cleanout (with DELVAC 1300 10W-30)and now am on REDLINE 5W-40. Although I could likely run the 10W-30, I do one heck of lot of idling (in Neutral, at 11-1200 rpm with HVAC on MAX-RECIRC) as my health doesn't allow me to stay in the heat.

As this evening, I'll have to go out and will likely idle for 30-45 minutes total, and drive around 65-70 miles (both airports) in 99-101F ambient with humidity higher than normal.

5W-40 was chosen to:

1] stand up to idling;
2] keep any oil consumption down on engine now at 102,000 miles (with leaking intake manifold plenum gasket);
3] the use of LC20 at 3-ozs per 750-800 miles.

Initial plan is to go to 10,000 miles with BALDWIN B2-HPG. Although it is first run with RL (known skew of numbers) and intake hasn't been repaired yet, it'll be informative to see what a UOA tells us. Thus far no apparent oil consumption at about 3m miles into run.

Of course, FP60 in all fuel.

Hopefully will be able to get repairs done in 2005(can't do it myself anymore) and will include new timing chain/water pump. Then, a second ARX run.

So, no point -- it seems -- in waiting to do UOA for second or third OCI.

I too respect redlines modest OCI reccomendations.

I don't want to step on anyones feelings but if I was buying a used vehicle and the owner told me they used Amsoil with 20,000 mile OCI's I would run in the other direction and wouldn't look back...
You could go 9,000 mile OCI's on Amsoil and it would be competitive with some $2 per quart petroleum products on a 3k OCI on a cost basis and you have the advantage of a superior oil protecting your motor so why push it to 25k to save oil change money ?

I'm more interested in using a synthetic for it's extra margin of safety and it's ability to offer better protection than using it so I can push OCI's to the risky limit.

Is Amsoil good oil ? Yes, but I wouldn't run any oil for 20,000 miles...My brother ran 25,000 mile OCI's with Amsoil with the rec. filter change interval in his tahoe and the engine sounded horrible at 40,000 miles.

I go to a motocross message board where we recently had a guy disgusted with the poor quality of his new 05' YZ250 (2 stroke MX bike) when his engine siezed and destroyed the motor...He was piping mad at Yamaha because he was even using a good oil like Amsoil 2 stroke oil at 100:1 (Yamaha's owners manual says to use a 32:1 ratio). Needless to say the guy got lectured on the oil ratio by some of the experts on the website (one works with Eric Gorr whos a well respected engine builder in MX circles).

I think amsoil is a great oil, but not 100:1 great or 25,000 mile great.

[ July 13, 2005, 05:24 AM: Message edited by: sands ]

quote:

Red Line stands alone in the ability to provide extended drain intervals and lower friction and wear. Red Line Synthetic oils have been shown to last 25,000 miles in field tests;

Hype knob turned way down?? Two lies in two lines.....whatever....
rolleyes.gif

I have nothing against Redline oil other than it's overpriced just as the S2K/S3K is. Redline has not proven itself much beyond 10-15K so really their statement is as much toilet paper as is Amsoil's. Please show us Amsoil's, Buster.

quote:

Much better?
What's the basis of that opinion?

In all honesty, the only basis I have to go by is what I've seen on here. Several RL UOA's have had TBN's of 0. However, RL could be just as capable possibly but I really am not qualified to say whether it is or isn't.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:

quote:

Red Line stands alone in the ability to provide extended drain intervals and lower friction and wear. Red Line Synthetic oils have been shown to last 25,000 miles in field tests;

Hype knob turned way down?? Two lies in two lines.....whatever....
rolleyes.gif

I have nothing against Redline oil other than it's overpriced just as the S2K/S3K is. Redline has not proven itself much beyond 10-15K so really their statement is as much toilet paper as is Amsoil's. Please show us Amsoil's, Buster.

This thread is a joke. For all the verbal hype around here about extended intervals, few around here actually do them, as evidenced in the UOA section.

quote:

Please show us Amsoil's, Buster

Huh? Amsoil, IMO, is a much better extended drain oil then Redline. This post was from over a year ago. Opinions change in day's around here so consider the date.
wink.gif

Buster - what I was asking you to do is post both sides of Amsoil's extended OCI chart. I see lots of words here, some good some bad, comparing R vs. A - but you only have posted a statement from Redline.

I have used RL in my 99 Acura SLX (aka Trooper)I found that the standard 7500 OCI works well and is safe under extreme conditions. Occasionally, I take the OCI to 10k. Long hot four wheel drive runs in desert heat are easier on RL than short trip and cold starts.
The factory says 10-30 dino at 7500 with a filter change at 15k. This works but I don't like to run dino that long or skip filter changes.
I like to run RL 10-30 for 8 or 9K and then change oil & filter (K&N). I will run higher viscosity in extreme heat at times. Mojave etc.
One problem with long OCI's is that TBN depletion is not linear. You might want to search for the UOA. I use a half quart every 3500 mi and has abut 101K miles.

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
Would 1k doses of LC support the TBN?

I hope so.... I am doing 1oz/1000 mile doses with their 5-20. My previous 2 runs of 10-30 looked like they would have been good for about 10k miles without LC Fortunately I had none of the much talked about "cleaning phase" which is characterized by TBN depletion and elevated metals.

-Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back