FYI.......Extended Drain Intervals and Warranties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extended Drain Intervals and Warranties

Q. The GM Factory extended 6/60 warranty I purchased for my Pontiac Grand Am states the following under the "Your Responsibilities" section:

"YOU must properly maintain the covered VEHICLE which includes, but is not limited to, changing the engine oil at a minimum of every 3,000 miles or as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. If requested, proof of required service, including receipts and work orders showing date and mileage of the VEHICLE at the time of service must be presented to US in the event of a FAILURE or CLAIM."

Because of this I fear switching to the AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 synthetic oil and oil filter and leaving it in the engine for the full year or 35,000 miles, thus risking voiding the factory warranty. Is there anything you can do to contact GM and convince them of the fallacy of the 3,000 mile oil change and convince them to use and recommend AMSOIL synthetic oil in their cars? They are convinced enough to use Havoline "extended" drain interval antifreeze, so why won't they see the advantages of AMSOIL synthetic 0W-30 oil?

A. The language in the extended protection plan was written by an insurance company, and it is definitely intended to intimidate you into changing your oil every 3,000 miles. They are doing everything they can to try to limit their liability for claims and create wiggle room.

All of the vehicle OEMs in the U.S. have agreed that a warranty cannot be denied because a customer was using any brand of motor oil at any length drain interval unless an engine failure was directly attributable to the oil or drain interval. For example, if your radio, power steering unit, air conditioner, etc. broke down, they could not void the warranty that covers those items because you were changing your engine oil at extended drain intervals. If it is not an oil related failure, they cannot void the warranty. The law supports this position.

If your engine failed, and the manufacturer denied your warranty for repair due to your using extended drain intervals, then you would submit your claim to the AMSOIL Technical Services Department for handling. (See the AMSOIL Limited Warranty.) Our staff will analyze the oil, and if we are able to provide documentation that proves the source of the problem was something other than the oil, and that in turn allows your claim to be processed under the original warranty, then we will. If no proof can be assembled regarding the source of the problem, our insurance adjustor will be dispatched to resolve the claim. A warranty claim being denied because of the use of extended drain intervals is an extremely rare occurrence. That’s because motor oils do not cause engine failures; dirt, glycol and other mechanical problems do.

Ironically, in Europe the auto manufacturers’ recommended drain intervals are from 12,000-18,000 miles using petroleum products, and they are moving even higher. In the U.S., it has been published that auto manufacturers are also going to be moving toward extended drain intervals of up to 15,000 miles in the not too distant future. Some auto manufacturers include systems in their vehicles that tell you when to change oil based upon a computer program that evaluates driving habits. As these changes develop, so will the language in owner’s manuals and extended warranty policies.

As an AMSOIL customer, you have our warranty coverage to fall back on in the unlikely event of an engine failure that is not covered by your vehicle warranty. I hope you will not be intimidated by the language in your extended warranty policy and will continue to use the highest quality and best performing products that you can, AMSOIL.

That lingo in the question sounds like the double speak "weaselese" of an aftermarket extended warranty, not a genuine GM factory warranty. Beyond that, OCIs by GM's OLM and not a stated number of miles is what GM promotes and recommends. The permissive language in the statement "or as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer" broadens the 3,000 mile OCI to the OEM's requirement, what ever that interval might be.

The questioner wouldn't be the first to be confused into buying an aftermarket warranty thinking he had the real McCoy.

I sure liked the straightforward answer though.

I think if you Purchase a plan, you need to follow the rules of that plan! If it is a Standard OEM warranty, then all rules of the original warranty and Federal warranty and Laws are open to extended lube intervals.

I really think oil can cause engine failure too! Why? because if the lube fails due to being overextended..."yes I know, fuel, air, coolant ruins lubes"...but that's part of what oils do. That's oils job! If a oil fails due to being overextended, the bearings, rings, cams, go bad because oil can't injest any more contaminates.

I would like to see Amsoil,offer a purchased extended warranty that includes UOA kits and if a failure occurs ANY shop of your choice can be used to fix the engine, transmission, or rear/front end...and leave the OEM out of the picture.

And I find it hard to believe that mineral oil can go 18K
shocked.gif

Wonder why people are purchasing an 6/60k warrenty when the GM factory warrenty is 6/100k.
dunno.gif

And that is using the OLM???

I'd love to see an actual *GM* warrenty that states 3k or 3mo.

I doubt it exists... The OLM is been successful for GM since it started back in the 90s.

An NON GM warrenty, I can see them wanting 3k/3months. And *IF* anything goes wrong, you'd better have EVERY oil change covered or You'll find out how good Amsoils warrenty is.
hide.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Bill - The GM warranty on my mom's '03 Malibu was 3 years/36k miles. Maybe that's just for new cars? I think he meant extending an older warranty.

Quote:

I think if you Purchase a plan, you need to follow the rules of that plan! If it is a Standard OEM warranty, then all rules of the original warranty and Federal warranty and Laws are open to extended lube intervals.

That's just it: If you read the fine print on these extended "warranties" they are nothing but insurance policies. As such, you must meet the terms in order to file a successful claim.

Saturnionvue hit the nail on the head, "or as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer". They would also have to prove that the oil caused the problem. Go ahead and run the Amsoil (but I wouldn't spend the money on the series 2000) for the maximum OCI in your owners manual. Keep your receipts and record the date and mileage of each change.

Quote:

Saturnionvue hit the nail on the head, "or as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer". They would also have to prove that the oil caused the problem.

Wrong. If this is an insurance policy they don't have to prove a thing except they that they as the insurer have fulfilled their end of the contract. It would be up to the insured to prove that they have complied with the terms of the policy.

"YOU must properly maintain the covered VEHICLE which includes, but is not limited to, changing the engine oil at a minimum of every 3,000 miles or as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. If requested, proof of required service, including receipts and work orders showing date and mileage of the VEHICLE at the time of service must be presented to US in the event of a FAILURE or CLAIM."

Disclaimer:
I am not a lawyer! This is not legal advise!

In my opinion the above statement gives them the right to deny coverage if you follow the OLM (Oil Life Monitor).

"changing the engine oil at a minimum of every 3,000 mi or as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer" can be determined to mean that if you change it at 3,001 mi the warranty is void. With this wording a court might conclude the manufacturer clause was in case they required a SHORTER oci. Because the minimum standard of service is stated as at least every 3,000 mi."

Just one of the reasons I dont buy items with a 300-400% profit margin like Extended Warranties.

To extend what G-Man said...

A so-called extended warranty is legally NOT a warranty. It does not extend the factory warranty. GM calls theirs a Protection Plan. It is a prepaid service contract. As with any contract, both parties are bound by the wording in the contract. Because it is not a warranty, the Magnuson-Moss federal law does not apply.

"Your Responsibilities...YOU must properly maintain the covered VEHICLE which includes, but is not limited to, changing the engine oil at a minimum of every 3,000 miles or as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. If requested, proof of required service, including receipts and work orders showing date and mileage of the VEHICLE at the time of service must be presented to US in the event of a FAILURE or CLAIM."

That's it. You've got to follow the wording of the contract exactly if you expect the other side to follow the contract. Even the use of non-API licensed Amsoil products might render the extended warranty void.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back