Champion of the Walmart Shelf! SuperTech vs QuakerState vs Valvoline

Kirkland motor oil ships in nicer packaging, as in "more grownup," than the other two and comes with elegant labeling.

It is also priced lower.

Lastly, and somewhat important, Kirkland doesn't have to endure a goofy name like "SuperTech", which sounds like a low-end Taiwanese PC motherboard manufacturer from the mid 90s like "Acorp" or "Super Flower".

Kirkland motor oil ships in nicer packaging, as in "more grownup," than the other two and comes with elegant labeling.

It is also priced lower.

Lastly, and somewhat important, Kirkland doesn't have to endure a goofy name like "SuperTech", which sounds like a low-end Taiwanese PC motherboard manufacturer from the mid 90s like "Acorp" or "Super Flower".
"PC Chips" was the quintessential "cheap of the cheap" garbage from that era, lol.

That’s a hard decision between Quaker State or Valvoline. But I hate that Valvoline took away the easy pour spout so I’d probably guess Quaker State. I don’t like to use store brand oil so I don’t want to pick the SuperTech. I just purchased 6 quarts of the Quaker State 5W20 for my Escape next oil change they are always out of Valvoline and Castrol so I had read good things about that and bought some.
I like Quaker State. With your leaning toward older vehicles it surprises me that you go with 20 wt oil.

I like Quaker State. With your leaning toward older vehicles it surprises me that you go with 20 wt oil.
The Escape specs 5W-20. So in that case I go with 20. I like to run what’s spec for the vehicle. I have ran off spec in a few cars it didn’t hurt anything but I didn’t like doing it.

I need 6 quarts so I go with the havoline pro-ds box. Even with the recent price increase I still come out better with the $30 buck box versus buying a 5qt jug and 1 1qt bottle. And it pours so nicely out of the box it's almost worth it just for that.

Everything sold under the Kirkland name is at least Good to Excellent quality. Costco is very good at making sure of this. They never just throw a label on something and let it in the store. Anything I bought Kirkland I was satisfied with the quality and just started using their shampoo. I fill up at their gas station and a lot of things in my household are Kirkland and I have no issues.

Present these choices to automotive technicians at dealerships, fleets, or decent independent garages.
In my opinion the choice would be Valvoline.

My Walmart has reduced the oil stock so much that there really isn't much more than those three brands even in the store, and where there is the stock is really low. Personally, I run both Valvoline and ST depending on the vehicle, but I have absolutely no problem running the QS if that was all they had. I run the Valvoline in my vehicles that I baby and the ST in my daughter's car because she wants to spend as little as possible on her oil changes I do for her. If either of those are out in the flavor I want, I absolutely jump to the QS. I've tried M1, but to me for the price...meh.

Supertech offers 20k oil. Kirkland does not (yet).
------------------

I can understand AutoMechanic's reasoning sticking to spec oils. Its the mechanic's job to do so, unless the customer request differently. In those cases, it should be noted on the customer receipt..

Here is my last test of SuperTech Advanced 5W30. The other two oils tested were PUP 5W30 and QS 5W40 Euro. Just sent out a sample of SuperTech 5W30 Full Synthetic and have High Mileage in it now. Next oil will be whatever Walmart has when I need it....Valvoline or QSUP.

The QS 5W40 Euro API SP was notably a very robust 5W30 even thought its marked as 5W40. It has higher levels of most everything. I ran it during June/July which were demanding months. I would consider their 5W40 Euro more like a heavier duty 5W30.
View attachment 150761
I heard Blackstone like K&N got checked and it was found to be not accurate!

as a choice over the mentioned, Valvoline EP would be my first choice due to its add. pack,lots of moly and boron ,in 5w-30

Last year was very challenging at the local Walmart. When you went in all the brands you wanted were not there and I dont like buying oil mail-order. However Walmart came out with shelves of blue bottle SuperTech. So I grabbed some and found it actually tested very well on par with Pennzoil. I tested the Advanced version, just sent out a UOA to Blackstone for Full Synthetic and have High Mileage loaded in.

Now it looks like Quaker State has thrown its hat in the ring with Ultimate Protection to rival the Walmart reining champion SuperTech Advanced! Valvoline brought out its dreadknought to battle it out on the shelves too!

I never thought it would get this exciting at Walmart!

Who will be the Walmart shelf champion?

View attachment 150741View attachment 150742View attachment 150743
I’ve used QSUP in my Ecoboost with nice results. Especially with it being cheaper than ST, I’ll stick with it

Back