Champ XL filters

I’m considering using the ChampXL line of filters for my vehicles. RA has the filters for my 3 cars for $3.xx. Just got off the phone with their tech support. I have seen questions about Champ filters come up here before, so I thought I'd post the answers I got.

My first question was where they were made. He sad the “vast majority” are made in their plant in Illinois; but due to “shortages or time crunches,” some could be made in China.

I then asked about the efficiency ratings (they might be on the boxes, but I didn’t see that info on the website or the flyers for the XL line, or their regular line). He gave the XL line as 99% for 20 microns (I repeated this to verify that I heard correctly), and their regular Champ filters at 93% for 20 microns.

Because the regular Champ filter uses ecore, I asked whether the XL still has the steel center tubes. The support person affirmed that this was the case.

My final question was how many miles the XL filter was good for. The answer was 15,000 miles, but he then cautioned that OEM recommendations should be followed, as to OCI length and oil choice, so up to 15,000 miles would be the best way to put it.

Just an FYI.

Last edited:
Take it for what it is worth to you but based on what I have researched about this specific filter this is what I have come to conclude:

1. They are not a full synthetic oil filter like Royal Purple and Amsoil, the media is a blend more comparable to the Fram Tough Guard and standard Wix/Napa Gold.

2. They are not for extended intervals, their cans hold the same amount of particulate matter as the stand Champ filter (approximately 8 grams for most filter offerings) and the main difference between the Champ and Champ XL filters is filtration efficiency with the XL being 98-99% @ 20 microns.

I have been considering a purchase of several of these filters for multiple different vehicles but always end up going with Fram or Wix/Napa. I am sure that they would do just fine on most vehicles for upwards of 7500 miles on a single interval. If I was going to compare Champ made filters to Fram this is how it would go:

Champ = Fram Extra Guard
Champ XL= Fram Tough Guard
Amsoil = Fram Ultra

I would like to see a C&P of these. Thinking about ordering these from RA when I replenish my inventory, but that won't be until fall most likely. I am interested in the 2835XL and/or 400XL, but I really would like to stick to a base plate end bypass since all of my vehicles have filters mounted with the dome end down.

I would like to see a C&P of these. Thinking about ordering these from RA when I replenish my inventory, but that won't be until fall most likely. I am interested in the 2835XL and/or 400XL, but I really would like to stick to a base plate end bypass since all of my vehicles have filters mounted with the dome end down.

I have one on my jeep right now. I'll be changing the oil at 3k so the question is would you like to see it sooner with 3k on the filter or wait a while longer when it has 6k?

Not a bad filter for
I only use full synthetic media and is what I recommend. But, not all owners need the full-synth media expense with their engine/habits/intervals.

As long as you're not foolish with filter 'marketing', I would have no problem using that filter on your car when changed at every normal OCI.

Attachments

• ChampXL_Flyer.pdf
    919.7 KB · Views: 134
Exploded view in the PDF looks like it has a combo ADBV/bypass valve.

Maybe, would have to cut some open to see if its the combo valve or not, or if it is PN specific.

Attachments

• Oil_Flyer.pdf
    6.2 MB · Views: 52
I have one on my jeep right now. I'll be changing the oil at 3k so the question is would you like to see it sooner with 3k on the filter or wait a while longer when it has 6k?
No matter. I'll be watching for it either way. Probably more realistic to do it @ 6k miles, but the suspense is killing me, not gonna lie...😂😂

Just got 2 ea of the 2876XL (6607 equiv.) and 2835XL (MC 910s equiv.) The 2876XL (pic. 3) looks just like the regular PH2876, dome bypass etc., but with silicon ADBV and the synthetic blend media. The 2835XL (pic.1) also has a dome bypass and not the combo valve like the regular PH2835, it's an red/orange button looking thing instead of the blue that is common with certain Champ filters. Also has a slotted steel center tube and not the cage like the standard PH2835. The 2835's have a different base plate than what is pictured on RA and Champs website (pic. 2). It has 13 inlet holes just like the combo valve Champ models. It also does have the thin "pre-base plate" design like the filters with the combo valve so I'm not sure why they changed it from the catalog pic. They are Sept 2020 build dates for the 2835's and 2017 for the 2876's, all of them USA made.
2835xl by pass.png
PH2835XL_P01_BOT.jpg
2876xl.jpg
2835xlside.jpg

[

Last edited:
Back