Is the only difference in Champ XL the silicone ADBV?

pro cras

I've seen comparisons between Super Tech ST and MP filters (which are supposed to be made by Champ) where the only difference is the ADBV. I also found some separate videos of the PH2840 and PH2840XL where the only difference seemed to be the ADBV... and maybe fewer pleats in the XL (which I thought was odd). Recently, there've been posts about people getting black (nitrile) ADBVs in the Champ XL filters, and it seems they're using e-cores too. The 2017 XL marketing flyer doesn't seem reliable. I'm wondering if I should even bother getting the XL version.

I've seen comparisons between Super Tech ST and MP filters (which are supposed to be made by Champ) where the only difference is the ADBV. I also found some separate videos of the PH2840 and PH2840XL where the only difference seemed to be the ADBV... and maybe fewer pleats in the XL (which I thought was odd). Recently, there've been posts about people getting black (nitrile) ADBVs in the Champ XL filters, and it seems they're using e-cores too. The 2017 XL marketing flyer doesn't seem reliable. I'm wondering if I should even bother getting the XL version.
Someone had posted they had gotten some (I think from RockAuto) that advertised the silicone ADBV and the ones they received were nitrile.

I got some XL's about a year ago that had nitrile valves.

I picked up the last of the Supertech MP's at my store because they had the silicon ADBV.

Someone here around Christmas posted a Fram EG that looked internally identical to a regular Champ.

I think if your buying anything First Brands and your looking for something specific you pretty much need to go retail and inspect it before you buy it at this point.

The media should be different between a PH2840 and PH2840XL.

The champ XL line markets "synthetic media" and a supposed 99% efficiency at 30 microns.
Interesting, I guess I made some erroneous assumptions. Upon further review of Whip City Wrencher's videos on the PH2840/XL, the media do look different under 100X magnification, but it's inconsistent with some of his other Champ videos. In each video, he says they're rated 99% at 30 microns. I've seen some posts here about contacting Champ and getting different ratings though.

my recent order of champ XL filters were made in 12/23 and 1/24. Both had silicone adbv. PH2840XL was an E-core and PH2835XL had louvers.
Thanks for the data points.

I have a 2007 Subaru Outback 2.5 with 135k miles, infrequently driven, maybe 5-10 times a month, probably around 500-1000 miles a year. Mostly short trips, some longer trips, mild weather. Not sure how bad it is to do this, but I want to drag out the OCI to every few years. Will be using Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30.

I'm wondering if I should go for the recommended PH2876XL, the larger PH2867XL, or the regular PH2876/PH2867. I was also considering the Protec-New PXL57712 (silicone ADBV, 10K rating, meets bypass valve spec, but scared by posts about tears) or the Wix 57712 (their construction quality seems more inconsistent lately).

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
Imo, any filter that touts itself as XL and "synthetic", here meaning for use with synthetic oil (it's not full synthetic media), should have a silicone adbv. Anecdotes I've seen and read about here, some have had nitrile and some silicone.

Imo, any filter that touts itself as XL and "synthetic", here meaning for use with synthetic oil (it's not full synthetic media), should have a silicone adbv. Anecdotes I've seen and read about here, some have had nitrile and some silicone.
I know - just spray some crap over weak paper - add the little orange flapper - and boom - it’s a great synthetic oil filter LoL …

Back