Champ XL Oil Filter Efficiency

I'm not sure where you found that, but the text doesn't match what the actual Champ website states if you go directly to their website. The wording is under the "Champ" heading, and does NOT say "All Champ filters", it says "Champ filters" - the reason that is significant is because below that the XL line has a separate description. Not sure if I'm just not finding what you linked or what?

My eyeball is showing "All" in the text below.

Screenshot 2023-03-08 6.02.14 PM.jpg

Right... Who brags about 98% efficiency? One that can't meet 99% efficiency @ 20?

If they were any better than 98% efficiency wouldn't you think they would like to shout it out for the world to see? Isn't 99%@20 the gold standard? IF they were 99%@20 why in the world would they reference an odd ball 98% efficiency?
I've seen stranger call outs ... nothing is valid (just assumed/speculated) until there's a particle size with the % efficiency ... and a test method used (ie, ISO 4548-12).

I've seen stranger call outs ... nothing is valid (just assumed/speculated) until there's a particle size with the % efficiency ... and a test method used (ie, ISO 4548-12).
You're correct that we don't know the particle numbers so there is another piece to the puzzle. They say All champ filters provide "Up to 98% efficiency". Is it that some meet 99%@20 while other meet at least 98%? Who knows...

My original point is we can't count on 99%@20 with these filters across the board.

This is why the oil companies should be made to show efficiency @20 on each filter to be more transparent.

You're correct that we don't know the particle numbers so there is another piece to the puzzle. They say All champ filters provide "Up to 98% efficiency". Is it that some meet 99%@20 while other meet at least 98%? Who knows...

My original point is we can't count on 99%@20 with these filters across the board.

This is why the oil companies should be made to show efficiency @20 on each filter to be more transparent.
"Up to 98% efficiency" means that some (most likely the smaller sized filters) will have less efficiency. There is a reason some filter makers reference their largest oil filter for the efficiency rating (ie, Purolator is a good example). Fram uses the average of 3 different sized filters ... a better way to benchmark the efficiency across the model lines (ie, XG, TG, PH).

Yes, it would be nice if there was a required car oil filter industry standard to list the efficiency at 20 microns so apples-to-apples comparison would be easy. Fram actually calls out the efficiency more long the guidelines of ISO 4548-12 than most auto filter makers.

Yes my window screen, my socks and my underwear are all up to 98% efficient.

And my screenshot doesn't, you're obviously looking in a different spot than me. Regardless, you're missing the point that it says ALL CHAMP OIL FILTERS - Thtat means the Champ line. The XL Synthetic line is right below it, clearly not the same media in the XL.

View attachment 143981
View attachment 143982
Are you saying that "All champ filters" is misleading on their website? If they are just referencing the Champ line & not the XL line why then would they say "All Champ Filters"?

Are you saying that "All champ filters" is misleading on their website? If they are just referencing the Champ line & not the XL line why then would they say "All Champ Filters"?
Notice on my first screenshot showing the section stating 98% efficiency, right below it is a "download the Champ flyer". The next screenshot shows the XL line, and has a button to download the XL flyer. My point is they put 98% in the Champ section, therefore I read that to only mean the Champ line.

Notice on my first screenshot showing the section stating 98% efficiency, right below it is a "download the Champ flyer". The next screenshot shows the XL line, and has a button to download the XL flyer. My point is they put 98% in the Champ section, therefore I read that to only mean the Champ line.
Even worse Scenario on the XL Line. This means there is no mention of efficiency or particle size on the XL. How do these manufacturer's get away with this?

Even worse Scenario on the XL Line. This means there is no mention of efficiency or particle size on the XL. How do these manufacturer's get away with this?
Because people who are not fully aware of how oil filter efficiency works (xx % efficiency @ y microns) just sees the "98% efficient" blur and automatically thinks it better than one that says "95% efficient".

Probably more likely than not.
I believe most oil filters are. Even Fram says 95% for particles over 20 microns. People don’t seem to read that part

Attachments

• DEAC5D9B-0DC2-4977-ACD6-01502EE8DC0F.jpg
    DEAC5D9B-0DC2-4977-ACD6-01502EE8DC0F.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 4D5CE05F-C54C-4587-9CAD-84D6A8FE2C93.jpg
    4D5CE05F-C54C-4587-9CAD-84D6A8FE2C93.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 718554D5-D727-4801-BC59-83D8B38DB459.jpg
    718554D5-D727-4801-BC59-83D8B38DB459.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 32
I believe most oil filters are. Even Fram says 95% for particles over 20 microns. People don’t seem to read that part
Yeah, I'm not following where you're going with this either... All your screenshots are showing is that they're reported at 20 microns. Fram is very transparent about which 3 filters they averaged to get those numbers.
Ultra says 99%+
TG says 99%
EG says 95%

Back