Champ XL vs. "new" Fram Ultra?

Bought 4 Fram Titanium's today (FS7317). 3 have holes and one has louvres.
Can you tell by looking through the holes/louvers if the media is wire backed? I knew the Titanium would morph as some point. :rolleyes:

Any idea what the media looks like in the fs7317 with louvers, does it look like it may be similar to the Royal Purple or Fram Synthetic Endurance filters? I know some people have seen ph7317s with ecore and Fram seems to be trying to cut out the 4386 size so maybe they're making all the 7317 filters at Champion Labs factories now?

No idea. Will have to look up some threads and videos tomorrow to compare and get back to you.

@53' Stude has kindly agreed to cut open the filter that's coming off my car so if he's fine with it - will send this one in too.

Can you tell by looking through the holes/louvers if the media is wire backed? I knew the Titanium would morph as some point. :rolleyes:

Thought maybe the wires might be hard to see but in this cut-open thread from 2020 - it's clear as day
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/cut-open-fram-titanium-fs7317-virgin.328260

At least in my eyes with a flashlight, I don't see any wire backed media in any of the 4 filters from today :(.

Getting the old ultra was the whole point of the purchase!

Well, the one on the left there, per @ZeeOSix's inquiry, definitely looks like cellulose (yellow, no screen).

Yep, you're right.

All 4 have yellow media, no screen.

IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

Yep, you're right.

All 4 have yellow media, no screen.

View attachment 149894

View attachment 149895
The Fram Titanium FS7317 I bought last summer was wire backed ... so looks like the Titanium is going the way of the non-wire backed Ultra. :( If you want wire backed media with high efficiency, looks like the Fram Endurance is now that filter.

The Fram Titanium FS7317 I bought last summer was wire backed ... so looks like the Titanium is going the way of the non-wire backed Ultra. :( If you want wire backed media with high efficiency, looks like the Fram Endurance is now that filter.

The fiasco continues.

It doesn't make sense, it's even mentioned on the packaging!

IMG_1473.JPG

Because it's in the midest of the change over. Same thing happened with the Ultra with respect to the box and website info keeping up with the design change.

I personally don't find that to be acceptable. It's false advertising, especially when it's priced at a premium.

Can't do anything about it though. AAP is 60 miles away so they're not getting returned.

I personally don't find that to be acceptable. It's false advertising, especially when it's priced at a premium.

Can't do anything about it though. AAP is 60 miles away so they're not getting returned.
Unfortunately you have to look before you buy-I’ve found a few metal backed Titaniums at slow moving AAPs in older, less affluent areas where people won’t spend $10+ for an oil filter.

Fram Tech Support… Home of the “black” silicone ADBV bull shiitake! They’re as bad as Purolator!

I have 6 of the Champ XL's coming in from rockauto in the next day or two.

Having to prove them wrong about the titanium takes enough energy.

Now we're supposed to start burning black ADBVs to see if my email or The Critic's email about nitrile is the correct one..........?

In the tech dept's defence, it does kind of look like there might be some blurry pixels of metal when you zoom into the second photo of the filter with the louvers in post 44. It doesn't justify saying all 4 filters are fine though. The photo with the holes is as clear as day so will try to have one of each cut so the matter is settled.

Life is too short for these shenanigans.

In the tech dept's defence, it does kind of look like there might be some blurry pixels of metal when you zoom into the second photo of the filter with the louvers in post 44.
If you're saying the Titanium with the louvers looks to be wire backed, it's not. If the wire backing was there, it would be real obvious in that photo.

If you're saying the Titanium with the louvers looks to be wire backed, it's not. If the wire backing was there, it would be real obvious in that photo.

Good to know. I sent the one with the louvers to 53' Stude. Was starting to think I should have sent one of each.

Put 3 Champ PH2867XL's in a rock order this week. They arrived today. Black ADBV otherwise identical to the case I purchased last June with rock. I run them on my Type-R without any issues or concern. 5k-ish OCI, never an issue. I stopped using the Ultra's after the new design came and briefly ran the Royal Purple equivalent. I am happy with the Champ's for the intentionally short-ish intervals I run in that car.

Back