Castrol EDGE EP 0W-20 vs. Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 - Which one is the best?

• Thread starter Deleted member 89374
  • Start date
I made the switch to Castrol Edge EP 0W-20.

It's very smooth and quiet, extremely yummy motor oil :love:

I guess this thread can be closed now.
"Better" would be a tad more HTHS as below 2.9 mPa.s is marginal. So substituting a litre of similar/same line oil in the next heavier grade would accomplish that.
ex: I sourced and ran VW 508/509 Porsche C20 approved 0W20 in my Jetta turbo. The engine was clattery and wouldn't make power.
Oil was burning off at a alarming rate. I added a litre of M1 0W40 FS then, surprisingly, all was well for the next 6000+ miles until I turned the lease in. You want a "good" oil, but you need the appropriate viscosity for the engine. The specific build clearances and design of your sample engine will dictate the viscosity required.
If your engine runs well with your oil choice, then no further adjustment is warranted.
- Ken

Last edited:
"Better" would be a tad more HTHS as below 2.9 mPa.s is marginal. So substituting a litre of similar/same line oil in the next heavier grade would accomplish that.
ex: I sourced and ran VW 508/509 Porsche C20 approved 0W20 in my Jetta turbo. The engine was clattery and wouldn't make power.
Oil was burning off at a alarming rate. I added a litre of M1 0W40 FS then, surprisingly, all was well for the next 6000+ miles until I turned the lease in. You want a "good" oil, but you need the appropriate viscosity for the engine. The specific build clearances and design of your sample engine will dictate the viscosity required.
If your engine runs well with your oil choice, then no further adjustment is warranted.
- Ken
It runs really well on it, and while the owner's manual allows for up to 10W-30, 0W-20 is the recommended viscosity.

we dont know exactly, but according to mobil1 website it offers outstanding level of protection in general, not just for long OCI:

“Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils are designed to provide outstanding levels of engine protection, even during longer oil change intervals.”

they also say that its «boosted». Which probably means it contains more anti-wear additives. You can also be sure it works good because its meeting a lot of same specs as the regular mobil1.
Fair enough - at least M1 answers the question .

Last oil change I just switched from Mobil 1 AFE to Castrol Edge EP.
Ford's Motorcraft oils are engineered and produced in collaboration with Castrol.

Maybe I go against some people but I choose to use OW-20 at all times even though Ford says 5W-20 spec

Last oil change I just switched from Mobil 1 AFE to Castrol Edge EP.
Ford's Motorcraft oils are engineered and produced in collaboration with Castrol.

Maybe I go against some people but I choose to use OW-20 at all times even though Ford says 5W-20 spec
Both are 20-grade oils, the winter rating is irrelevant except as it relates to the expected starting temperatures. Unless you are starting at temperatures of -35 then it makes zero difference in that regard.

Back