Castrol EDGE EP 0W-20 vs. Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 - Which one is the best?

• Thread starter Deleted member 89374
  • Start date
Is there a PDS for it? Castrol's data sheets are a disaster. It's a very good oil.

I made the switch to Castrol Edge EP 0W-20.

It's very smooth and quiet, extremely yummy motor oil :love:

I guess this thread can be closed now.
Really enjoyed the "yummy" description.......
Actually went out to my 3 nearest sources for oil, Advance, Auto Zone and Wallyworld, only Wally's carried the Edge EP, no stock in 0W-20, just an empty shelf. Inquiry yielded a "yeah, we have that sometimes" so obviously not going to be a reliable source, and they only have the jugs. None carry the Fram Ultra filters. I really prefer quarts as my CRV takes 3.7 and its easier to take 4 quarts and a filter to my mechanic and leave me the spare quart to accumulate until I get 4 for another change. Advance has a 5 quart bundle (jug or individual quarts) of M1 0W-20 EP and the M1 filters for $38. Auto Zone has the same bundle for $43 (and a snotty attitude about price matching thrown in at no extra charge) Given that the M1 EP probably won't make my Honda puke it's bearings and is comparable to the Edge EP, I'll probably go with it rather than go on a scavenger hunt every time it's ready for a change. I'd like to build a stash, but, living in a townhouse isn't conducive to that. I did ask both Advance and AZ why they didn't carry the Edge EP, said they used to, but it didn't sell, also the Fram Ultra, apparently a corporate decision in favor of the Titanium. AZ locally is all into STP Oil & Filters. Oil/filter shopping is interesting yet frustrating. At least the Mobil1 bundle is consistent, so many of the chains combo a decent oil and a "meh" filter then upcharge you for a decent one. PPP is unobtainium locally, PEP Boys is closing (no tears shed) and O'Reilly has no stores within 100 miles.

Really enjoyed the "yummy" description.......
Actually went out to my 3 nearest sources for oil, Advance, Auto Zone and Wallyworld, only Wally's carried the Edge EP, no stock in 0W-20, just an empty shelf.
Why not order it online?

Why not order it online?
Went to Wally's website, the Edge EP was tagged "limited availability" Seriously, I've done enough online buying in the last year to last a lifetime, I really prefer to keep my dollars local. I really doubt I'll ever notice a difference with either the M1 EP or the Edge EP, bought 2 bundles for $38 - $15 rebates, $23 ain't too bad.

I'm sure both are great oils but I would never go 20K on either. I would probably choose the Mobil1 EP based on better cold weather
performance due to PAO....

Is there any benefit in using regular Mobil 1 or regular Castrol Edge (black bottle) over the EP versions if you are changing it at 5K?....I can't see why you would need to.....in fact I'd be fine with Supertech syn. if I was changing it that often....

Is there any benefit in using regular Mobil 1 or regular Castrol Edge (black bottle) over the EP versions if you are changing it at 5K?....I can't see why you would need to.....in fact I'd be fine with Supertech syn. if I was changing it that often....
There is not.

My choice for this situation would still be the M1 and 3k mile OCI. It is indeed noisier, but cheap and readily available at Walmart. XOM's testing gives me confidence. I feel like telling Castrol to stuff it, but I won't.

*Not to get off topic - but I have always wondered if both the M1 & Castrol EP oils sacrifice engine wear additives for longer OCI additives ? In other words , do the Extended Performance oils from both M1 & Castrol sacrifice less engine wear capability for the longer OCI capability ?

*Not to get off topic - but I have always wondered if both the M1 & Castrol EP oils sacrifice engine wear additives for longer OCI additives ? In other words , do the Extended Performance oils from both M1 & Castrol sacrifice less engine wear capability for the longer OCI capability ?

we dont know exactly, but according to mobil1 website it offers outstanding level of protection in general, not just for long OCI:

“Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils are designed to provide outstanding levels of engine protection, even during longer oil change intervals.”

they also say that its «boosted». Which probably means it contains more anti-wear additives. You can also be sure it works good because its meeting a lot of same specs as the regular mobil1.

Back