Cars you just don't see all that often, new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Volkswagen Phaeton
Honda Ridgeline
Acura SLX *older
Honda Element
Honda Civic CRX or CRZ
Hyundai Scoupe *older
Ford Taurus X
Ford Freestyle

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Volkswagen Phaeton
Honda Ridgeline
Acura SLX *older
Honda Element
Honda Civic CRX or CRZ
Hyundai Scoupe *older
Ford Taurus X
Ford Freestyle

How could you be in NJ and not see Ridgelines? They're fairly popular (everything being relative) in PA, NJ, NY, and CT. I see at least 4/week.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I just don't see that many Porsche cars running around :p

But Dodge Nitro's are rare, as are the new Fiats. I have never seen the VW minivan running around either.

That must be because we're keeping a lot of the Porsches here in Jersey. I've seen Fiat 500's and the VW minivan however I can't tell you the last time I saw a Nitro, I'm certain it wasn't in NJ, either PA or upstate NY.

-Ford Freestyle
-Mitsubishi Raider P/U(don't think anyone sees a lot of these)
-Kia Forte

Just a few, quite a good mix of vehicles in this area. Lots of pickups, lots of Toyotas and Hondas. I know the Nissan Titan doesn't sell much these days, but there are lots around here. One thing I've noticed is that they have paint that doesn't fair too well in the AZ sun.

Pontiac G8s. Without looking in my garage
wink.gif
I average seeing maybe one every two weeks or so.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Nissan Murano convertible.

I actually saw one of these on the road Monday.
What a silly idea!
Around here, I used to see very few Smarts or Fiat 500s, but I now see tham almost every day.
Newer Mitsus and Suzukis are rare.
That's probably the reason that Suzuki gave up on this market and Mistsubishi will likely follow suit.
Weak dealer networks combined with too many other choices equals failure in the market.
OTOH, Subaru wasn't exactly setting the world on fire with sales a decade ago and look where the brand is now, although the Forester is arguably their only really strong model.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Suzuki Kisashi.
lol.gif

Oddly their econoboxes and/or the daewoo-zook are on the roads here quite a bit despite low manufacturing/ importing numbers compared to the other Japanese brands.

The Nissan van stealthily appears in vinyl wrapped tradesman livery despite a complete lack of advertisement from Nissan USA and the local dealer too. I don't even know what they call it. It's shaped a little like the "mutt cuts" van from "Dumb & Dumber."
lol.gif

The NV200 dustbuster van? A local Nissan dealer has had two sitting on their lot for the past 6 months. Apparently they are not hot sellers.

I have seen exactly 0 NV200s in person. Not a single one. According to Nissan it is better than the Transit Connect, but the Transit Connect seems to sell (probably because Ford can just solicit their existing commercial customers who were buying Rangers, Econolines, Freestars, F-150s, whatever).

I do see the full size Titan-based NVs pretty frequently though. The ratio of Econoline/Express vans to NVs is still probably about 500+:1, but at least the big NVs are selling. I actually kind of like them. They are a throwback to old school full size vans rather than some Eurotrash 20' tall tin van with a tiny engine that can't merge on to a US interstate safely.

EOS; a coworkers mother bought a new one so she had a car she wouldn't have to worry about for 10 years.

Pick ANY thing else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
EOS; a coworkers mother bought a new one so she had a car she wouldn't have to worry about for 10 years.

Pick ANY thing else.

If she keeps this VW parked for the next decade, she won't have to worry about it.
If she drives it, she'll have plenty of worries, especially if she doesn't think that water should leak through the roof gaskets.

Funny.
All of the Eurotrash Sprinters I see seem to have no trouble expediting freight at speeds well beyond the posted limit.
These are vehicles engineered by Mercedes, though, not some Japanese-French company that has never quite made it into the mainstream although it has sold lots of deeply discounted cars in this country.
Plenty of Toyota, Honda and Mazda loyalists.
Not too many for Nissan.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Funny.
All of the Eurotrash Sprinters I see seem to have no trouble expediting freight at speeds well beyond the posted limit.
These are vehicles engineered by Mercedes, though, not some Japanese-French company that has never quite made it into the mainstream although it has sold lots of deeply discounted cars in this country.
Plenty of Toyota, Honda and Mazda loyalists.
Not too many for Nissan.

I haven't seen too many Sprinters doing the speed limit, let alone going well beyond it. Usually they are a traffic nuisance. Maybe the drivers just want to ride the time clock or something. Personally, I'd rather have any Ford or GM van, or even an NV.

I would say I don't see many Tauruses. Ford is doing everything it can to keep them out of rental fleets because they thought that destroyed the reputation of previous cars. Ford tries very hard to sell high trim levels on their cars, so that keeps volume down.

Its a little older than what the OP had in mind, but I would say the Ford Probe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Probe They used to be fairly popular cars and they were made through 1997. Now you never see them. I heard that they had some kind of catastrophic transmission thing that went wrong with almost all of them when they got old, that would take them right off the road. So they disappeared seemingly overnight.

Volkswagen Phaeton

1 client with. I call it the $90,000 Volkswagen. I've actually installed two but the first one went from Phaeton to Cayenne to 5-series to.....wait for it.....Corolla.
shocked.gif
Yes, Corolla. All in about a year and a half or so.
21.gif

Honda Ridgeline
Acura SLX *older
Honda Element
Honda Civic CRX or CRZ
Hyundai Scoupe *older
Ford Taurus X
Ford Freestyle

Have clients with all of the above except the SLX. I have a couple of clients with Troopers...I guess that kinda' counts.

Had a client with a Freestyle. She worked as a pilot car accompanying oversize load semis. Don't know how many miles it had because she would not get an oil change because she was embarrassed about having a breathalyzer and the OLM was indicating a change was due. 2 years as a pilot car with no oil changes. My Duratec can't go 2 years without losing an ignition coil, this one goes 2 years with zero maintenance.
33.gif

Funny.

All the Sprinters I see are badged as Freightliners I don't see the Mercedes Benz or Dodge versions
21.gif

How long until Dodge is selling rebadged Iveco Eurotrash vans?
lol.gif

Toyota Corollas around me. I don't see that many newer ones, yet spot plenty of older ones. I see lots of Civics and Cruze LS's, though. The local Toyota dealers don't advertise near as much as the local Chevy and Honda dealers do, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

OTOH, Subaru wasn't exactly setting the world on fire with sales a decade ago and look where the brand is now, although the Forester is arguably their only really strong model.

If you're speaking of the Forester as a "strong model" in terms of sales, I'm pretty sure Subaru sells more Outbacks.

Originally Posted By: glock19

If you're speaking of the Forester as a "strong model" in terms of sales, I'm pretty sure Subaru sells more Outbacks.

Around here thats probably around 50/50. The amount of each you see.
I think the Forester is a stronger model as well, but that is from a model preference, not sales.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Pick ANY thing else.

lol.gif

A guy I work with has one. He claims VW makes the best cars ever, and are the most reliable. Funny how he seems to get a new one every 2-3 years.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back