Car recommends 5W-30 outside US and Canada vs 0W-20. Run 5W-30 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, if we want to talk about oil, OK, but the posts bashing Americans, People in Florida, the Third World, or any other geographic area have been deleted. Bickering about countries and stereotyping people from particular countries is way off topic and causing contention.

Stick to the viscosity discussion, please, or we will lock the thread.

If you read carefully Toyota or Honda owner's manual, it uses words "Recommended viscosity", it does not say "required" or "specified" viscosity. For some other fluids, such as ATF, you will find different language: Required/Specified". This gives you an idea that this is a not a hard requirement set by manufacture, not for Toyota/Honda, perhaps german cars is a different story.

The 1st vehicle I had with a VDP was a 2013 - they are not new. Everything since then - and all in signature now had/have them …
I have made numerous runs down the same sleepy road with oil pressure on the dash to learn how they react to my driving. They basically behave like a two stage - high throttle demand (ECM) brings on the higher oil volume stage and resultant residual pressure increases …

On all but the new one - I have used a grade higher viscosity oil with no codes - no change in engine or pump behavior …

BTW: most recently changed viscosity in the Pentastar - it has a digital readout … Same as before

Last edited:
What makes some of this just really truly goofy is that viscosity is completely dependent upon temperature. And some of these viscosity differences we’re discussing here are truly small at normal operating temperature. I guarantee you that many vehicles here in the upper Midwest never reach normal operating temperature during a typical short trip operation. They certainly aren’t at the normal operating temperature during start and neither is any other vehicle anywhere else. So all of those millions of vehicles in this area will either trip a code or be damaged if this mythical ECU monitoring was in effect.

I just don’t understand where people come up with these baseless constructs about the oil pump nor do I understand why they do so. Are we just trying to scare everybody to death for some agenda that you have?

No they woukd not trip a code.

Again,

These pumps are pcm-controlled and do indeed operate based upon feedback from rpm / speed sensors and oil pressure sensors as well as oil temperature or engine coolant temperature and intake air temperature sensors in order to determine the pumping displacement.

The algorithm used assumes the viscosity that was specified for the vehicle.

The question that came up in this thread was something like... "if that was true then how could this oil pump handle oil at subarctic temperatures and in South Florida type temperatures"

As above the PCM receives multiple sensor inputs and varies it's displacement based upon them but it does assume and its algorithm is programmed for the oil that the engineers specced for the vehicle.

And if you talk to modern day Toyota, Alfa Romeo, general motors technicians who have experience with these pumps they will tell you that they have seen cars come into the shop with oil related codes and a simple oil change cleared them because yes some are that sensitive.

No it doesn't mean anyone's engine is "blowing up". Yes it means the lubrication system is not functioning as intended

Again there are people with years of experience with your particular vehicle in your particular climate and in your particular region who have the knowledge of what viscosity will work best in the vehicle and I would strongly recommend relying on those individuals as random Joe's on the internet to include myself

One more data point. Lexus ES 350 2007-2012, came out with 5W-30 in owners manual. 2013 ES350, same engine model number, owner manual changed to 0W-20. 5 or so years down the road Toyota releases internal memo to dealerships that 5W-30/0W-20 can be used in 2007-2012 for oil change. Make your own conclusions from this data.

If you read carefully Toyota or Honda owner's manual, it uses words "Recommended viscosity", it does not say "required" or "specified" viscosity. For some other fluids, such as ATF, you will find different language: Required/Specified". This gives you an idea that this is a not a hard requirement set by manufacture, not for Toyota/Honda, perhaps german cars is a different story.
Where folks get hung up is that sure, this is all fine/good and I agree, but at a dealership level, you very well may run into drama. And while we can all go to court, chase things up the management chain, etc. using what is recommended with records to back it more or less guarantees a smooth warranty process IF that were to ever be an issue. For many people, that trumps messing with running different (thicker) oils than are recommended even if they will cause no harm or issues and can't for any foreseeable reason ever be the reason for a lubrication-related failure to bring you into the dealer for warranty work in the first place. This stuff is about risk tolerance and everyone's is different w/r to warranty and the money they have into a new(er) vehicle. Go to a Toyota dealer service dept. and ask the service advisor if you can run 5W40 in that Camry calling for 0W20 and how it will impact your warranty, do it at 5 dealers, the answers you get will give you an idea of what I am talking about and the potential headaches in store for you if you ever had an issue.

The algorithm used assumes the viscosity that was specified for the vehicle.
You have no idea if that is true nor do you have any evidence that it is. As I noted that the problem is there is no specific viscosity specified for the vehicle. An oil grade is recommended, but there is ample opportunity for the oil to never be at a specific viscosity.

Reactions: 4WD
Where folks get hung up is that sure, this is all fine/good and I agree, but at a dealership level, you very well may run into drama. And while we can all go to court, chase things up the management chain, etc. using what is recommended with records to back it more or less guarantees a smooth warranty process IF that were to ever be an issue. For many people, that trumps messing with running different (thicker) oils than are recommended even if they will cause no harm or issues and can't for any foreseeable reason ever be the reason for a lubrication-related failure to bring you into the dealer for warranty work in the first place. This stuff is about risk tolerance and everyone's is different w/r to warranty and the money they have into a new(er) vehicle. Go to a Toyota dealer service dept. and ask the service advisor if you can run 5W40 in that Camry calling for 0W20 and how it will impact your warranty, do it at 5 dealers, the answers you get will give you an idea of what I am talking about.
Yes this is one of the often cited fears that is invoked when the technical argument has failed.

Yes this is the often cited fear that is invoked when the technical argument has failed.
It's a real concern for many folks regardless of the technical data that backs it. I get it even though I personally am not a warranty person/concerned too much with these issues b/c I'm confident I could deal with it if that issue arose. Many are not and just want a no-drama ownership experience that includes the perceived value of a cost-free ownership period while under warranty. I still can't imagine IF you ever had an issue that the dealer required paperwork/records on service/oil changes saying after flipping through the receipts "Wait a minute....5W30...this car takes 0W20! DENIED" but sillier things have happened at dealerships.

No they woukd not trip a code.

And if you talk to modern day Toyota, Alfa Romeo, general motors technicians who have experience with these pumps they will tell you that they have seen cars come into the shop with oil related codes and a simple oil change cleared them because yes some are that sensitive.
Which is it?

Wait a minute....5W30...this car takes 0W20! DENIED" but sillier things have happened at dealerships.

What you describe is theoretically possible, but the probability of it happening is extremely low for many reasons:
1. Receipts can be falsified to show different viscosity, its very easy to do so in this day and age.
2. They still have to prove that engine failed due to lubrication issues.
3. The odds of engine failure are extremely low while its under warranty.

Sure, there is a slight chance, but when its 0.000001%, do you really care?

What you describe is theoretically possible, but the probability of it happening is extremely low for many reasons:
1. Receipts can be falsified to show different viscosity, its very easy to do so in this day and age.
2. They still have to prove that engine failed due to lubrication issues.
3. The odds of engine failure are extremely low while its under warranty.

Sure, there is a slight chance, but when its 0.000001%, do you really care?
Of course it is but you don't get to spend other people's money here or set their risk tolerance was the point of the comment. The whole "prove" is the sticking point and many do not want to deal with that may entail. Me? I don't really care about this stuff - I hosed the warranty on my Golf a few mos. after buying it with ECU tunes, larger turbos, etc. b/c I buy cars to enjoy/do what I want. Many others I know? No way they are doing anything that could impact a warranty claim even at that tiny percentage of a chance and their concern is not unfounded. I've recommended that if someone really is uncomfortable with the thinner oils being recommended and wants to run something thicker to just buy/return an oil change of the recommended viscosity so you have a record...unsavory yes but so is denying warranty claims/hassling someone for using an oil that is a grade higher than what is called for. I have no skin in the game in this discussion anyway...look at my sig...mostly Euro cars with xW40 oils recommended. I do run 5W20 in my Focus and have for the last 10 years/125K with zero issues of course but have toyed with running 5W30 just to make it easier for buying the same oil for both the Lexus and Focus and of course there is no issue running a 30W in it but then again, I'm sure the 20W has served the Focus well based on my own experience with it.

Of course it is but you don't get to spend other people's money here or set their risk tolerance was the point of the comment. The whole "prove" is the sticking point and many do not want to deal with that may entail. Me? I don't really care about this stuff - I hosed the warranty on my Golf a few mos. after buying it with ECU tunes, larger turbos, etc. b/c I buy cars to enjoy/do what I want. Many others I know? No way they are doing anything that could impact a warranty claim even at that tiny percentage of a chance and their concern is not unfounded. I've recommended that if someone really is uncomfortable with the thinner oils being recommended and wants to run something thicker to just buy/return an oil change of the recommended viscosity so you have a record...unsavory yes but so is denying warranty claims/hassling someone for using an oil that is a grade higher than what is called for.
Does anyone have any personal experience with having their warranty denied because of oil grade? I can say that my personal experience is that my VW dealership was completely unconcerned about it. They did use an oil with a VW approval but not the one listed in the owner’s manual.

what I saw they did with ES350 (back porting older cars to use thinner oils) makes it very obvious what is happening in the industry.

Engines using 0w-16, 0w-20 or 5w-20 etc will certainly last the lifetime of the car. (150k-200k) as defined by manufacturers.

Although these thinner oils provide "acceptable" protection for the lifetime of the car, they do not provide the best possible protection for a Maximum possible engine life.

I personally use the recommendation in the manual as a viscosity floor and go up from there.

Use what makes you sleep well.

Are we really back on this Toyota oil pump thing again?

Folks, there is no tangible evidence to support using a different viscosity than recommended is going to harm the engine other than ambiguous wording in the Toyota manual and car care nut’s say so. The science and commonsense do not support the claims. The engine cannot be that sensitive to oil viscosity. Even if you subscribe to the ECU programming based on region hypothesis how do you reconcile the extreme temperature difference between North Montana and South Florida? Same country but vastly different weather conditions. Heck in Texas over the last year, I have seen below 0F and over 100F. Either my Toyota engine, pump, and ECU can either handle viscosity fluctuations or it can’t. And it most certainly has.

The ECU/Pump theory doesn’t hold up if one is being intellectually honest or uses commonsense.

If the second is happening, it will lead to the first happening as well.

It can lead to damage for sure and it is why enough deviance will trigger a cel.

What are the long term effects of having an engine lubrication system running just outside it's programmed efficiency range without triggering codes for...say...100k miles?

I have no idea. No such study has likely been done.

The reality is there are very few people that ignore their owners manuals and even fewer who would think that they know more than the recommendations in it. Probably .001 percent of the population so I dunt think manufacturers would be to worried about this as they wouldn't have to cover any lubrication related failure anyways in a car maintained outside of recommendations

Variable displacement pumps are programmed to make the specified pressure given the rpm of the engine, the temperature of coolant, temp of oil, intake air temp and of course what expectation of viscosity is in the car.
Why does it have to "expect" anything, if it has this complex ability to sense it? This makes no sense. If it can, and in fact does all of that, then what's the issue?

It should be able to tackle this monumental "problem" of supplying proper oil pressure for a higher viscosity oil, like child's play.

Why would they make something more complicated, sophisticated, not to mention expensive...... Then not have it work as well? That's not an improvement on anything. But rather going backwards. And to achieve what purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back