Canadian spec car switched to US gauge cluster, reading off

When you mention that the speedometer reads the same as your cruise control set point but the digital display is off I get this sense that it’s a simple computer setting somewhere in the system.

Why, most cars have both mph and kph on the speedo.

s-l1600.jpg
Here is my dash:

Attachments

• 27D25BB9-2CED-4E6C-B50E-B2862FC9D00C.jpeg
    27D25BB9-2CED-4E6C-B50E-B2862FC9D00C.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 27
Hopefully it is an easy fix, considering how complicated these things can be. I know on newer GM vehicles, once you switch to metric, everything switches over - including the HVAC settings.

As a Ford dealer in the US, we can do warranty work on vehicles from Canada. However vehicles from other markets would require approval, even Mexico.
Many moons ago, someone I know took his 2002 P72 to FL as a temporary import. Imagine the look on the service writer's face when it showed up at a Ford dealer on a flat bed for the intake manifold recall. He said several techs gathered to "inspect" it scratching their heads; commercial spec designation, dual exhaust with no catalytic converters or oxygen sensors, heavy duty suspension, cooling and charging and cloth Town Car seats with Crown Victoria LX wheels to top it off. They got the green light from Ford and when it was shipped out, the local dealership started scratching their heads when they ran an OASIS and found out the intake manifold was done by a U.S. dealership!

I sure hope so. Does Nissan even warranty cars that were imported from Canada? Importing cars from Canada to the US often voids the warranty.
Not that I’ve heard. The movement of vehicles across the border is governed by the North American free trade agreement. I understand warranties are honoured between Canada and the USA. My warranty on my GM I imported into Canada was honoured. Maybe there is an issue with Mexico.

The movement of vehicles across the border is governed by the North American free trade agreement.
I believe USMCA only applies at the manufacturing level. My wife's Fusion was built in Mexico but on the consumer side, it's all "American", i.e. speedo is in MPH, climate controls are in ºF, etc. Ford didn't pay duties to bring it into the US either. If we packed up and moved to Mexico and the vehicle was still under warranty, Ford de Mexico could say it's not covered.

If you buy something from the US, you'll play VAT to get it into Canada, right ?

I believe USMCA only applies at the manufacturing level. My wife's Fusion was built in Mexico but on the consumer side, it's all "American", i.e. speedo is in MPH, climate controls are in ºF, etc. Ford didn't pay duties to bring it into the US either. If we packed up and moved to Mexico and the vehicle was still under warranty, Ford de Mexico could say it's not covered.

If you buy something from the US, you'll play VAT to get it into Canada, right ?
What you call VAT, in Canada, is the GST, which is 5%. Certain provinces want their sales tax, but a province like Alberta has no sales tax. Other than that there is no duty to be paid if it was manufactured in North America ( which includes Mexico). The USMCA also governs the movement of used vehicles across the border.

The USMCA also governs the movement of used vehicles across the border.
I didn't realize that part, to be honest. I do presume it mainly centers on duties ? Either way, it can't force a company to provide or honor a warranty (as confirmed by bcardinal).

Slightly off-topic, don't Canadian-spec cars have slight variations in lighting (color, etc) vs US-spec ?

I didn't realize that part, to be honest. I do presume it mainly centers on duties ? Either way, it can't force a company to provide or honor a warranty (as confirmed by bcardinal).

Slightly off-topic, don't Canadian-spec cars have slight variations in lighting (color, etc) vs US-spec ?
DRL’s are one thing that are standard on a Canadian spec car. Nowadays most cars have them, but it’s law in Canada.

I noticed a few Quasquai’s for sale as well. They are called Rouge Sport in the US. The CARFAX on those showed they were Canadian imports as well.

The dealer I bought the Rouge from had an XTR F150. That’s a Canadian for FX4.

Before I go to the dealer and request some service, I am curious if anyone else has bought a car that was originally from Canada, and was imported and sold in the US, and is having issues with the speedometer.

I bought a 2019 Nissan Rouge, last Friday, that was originally sold in Toronto. It only has 16k miles, and was imported to the US last January. Car Fax shows the first dealer that had it did the gauge cluster swap. I bought it from the 2nd dealer who took possession of it. It pretty much sat in the garage all weekend until I started driving it yesterday.

When setting the cruise, it tells me I’ve set the speed 3-5mph more than what the gauge is reading. So, the computer thinks the car is going faster than the speedometer says it is. I have verified with a Garmin GPS, and also checked on the highway using mile markers and the trip odometer. The trip odometer changes to .9 just before I reach the 1 mile mark on 3 different tries.

Is this something I have to live with being it was built for km/h measurement, or should I push the dealer to recalibrate it? In this market, car dealers are not very customer service oriented, so I want my ducks in a row before I go in.

Thanks.
Sounds like it's just inaccurate.

getting to 0.9 mile in a mile means it's roughly 10% off give or take.

One mile is about 1.6km
One km is about .62 miles.

Is this more of a inaccurate and perhaps wrong size tires issue?

If this was set for km, I'd expect the odometer to read about 1.6 for every mile traveled. Reading only .9 seems to be more of an accuracy issue, not a conversion issue.

Check the tire sizes on this used beast to see if they are anywhere close to the factory size on the doorjamb.
Of course, none of that explains the reading 3mph at a stop, just the observed odometer difference.

DRL’s are one thing that are standard on a Canadian spec car.
Yeah, DRLs are one I was thinking of for going one direction, i.e. a CA-spec model coming into the US w/DRL, no big deal. Moving a US-spec car w/o DRL into CA, it needs modified. I was thinking there was a spec related to lighting that had to do with color though and it wasn't as simple as changing a light bulb to comply.

Back around 2007ish when the Cdn$ was par with the US$, there were a lot of US vehicles coming into Canada, Toyota Canada for one tried to enforce that the US vehicles would not get warrantied in Canada. There were a lot of New England State Toyotas make there way into Atlantic Canada. Back then this was effecting Canadian vehicle sales, but I have never heard anything said when the the opposite conditions was in play.
The last couple of Covid years the flow of Cdn Vehicles especially trucks into the US has artificially inflated the price / perceived value of the Cdn used market but the sellers aren't complaining this time around.

Here is my dash:

The digital speedo can most likely be switched between mph and kph in both US and Canadian clusters. If there are no instructions how to switch are inteh owners manual, a Nissan forum or YouTube video can show you how to switch :)

Back