Can you even buy a "bad" oil anymore? Even cheap syn is great!

All you really need are the API cert and donut with reasonable OCI's and yer good. Beyond that it is just personal feels.

Anything marketed as non synthetic at this point. Even my classic vehicles get synthetic.
Just did an OC at the dealer on my Ford. they used some unknown, bulk non-synthetic. Supposed to be Motorcraft. I have not yet verified the bulk tank.
Engine has never run better. Better then Valvoline Advanced FS 5W20 , better than QS FS 5W30, and WAYYYYYY better than a horrid batch of Castrol Edge 5w20 - where the engine sounded like it was taking itself apart constantly.

p.s.: I bet a UOA for any of these oils would not provide evidence of anything awry - but I might also bet the Edge would look the worst of the acceptable :)

So, on the original topic, what's a bad oil anyone would actually avoid? Where can you buy it?

IMO there really aren't any bad oils that would cause any harm, but there are some oils out there that some people think are boutique oils and they pay a premium for those oils but I don't think they are all that special. For me that oil has always been Royal Purple. And I have no evidence to support my next two choices but I also believe Liqui Moly and Motul are overhyped and overpriced oils.

IMO there really aren't any bad oils that would cause any harm, but there are some oils out there that some people think are boutique oils and they pay a premium for those oils but I don't think they are all that special. For me that oil has always been Royal Purple. And I have no evidence to support my next two choices but I also believe Liqui Moly and Motul are overhyped and overpriced oils.
For some reason Motul is the be all and end all engine oil in motorcycle shops.
VOAs have been posted over the years and I can't see anything to get all excited about.
Instead of looking for the best oil, I'll settle for second or third best.
I'm an early changer ("How dare you."), so a boutique would be a waste on me.
Plus I drain hot, let it drip for an hour and the horror......perform early oil changes on new vehicles and pre-fill the filters.
VOAs don't show dirt in the oil, so I'm not worried about "unfiltered oil" going into the engine.

Last edited:
For some reason Motul is the be all and end all engine oil in motorcycle shops.
VOAs have been posted over the years and I can't see anything to get all excited about.
Instead of looking for the best oil, I'll settle for second or third best.
I'm an early changer ("How dare you."), so a boutique would be a waste on me.
I like the "sleeper oils" that can be found in Walmart, Canadian Tire etc, but don't cost a fortune. Oils like the original green GC 0w30, M1 ESP, Pennzoil Euro L, QSUP etc. It feels good to buy oils in the stores that have a lot of really good approvals but yet don't cost a bundle. That's not to say that there isn't a place for the more expensive boutique oils, but I just prefer a good bargain myself :p

I like the "sleeper oils" that can be found in Walmart, Canadian Tire etc, but don't cost a fortune. Oils like the original green GC 0w30, M1 ESP, Pennzoil Euro L, QSUP etc. It feels good to buy oils in the stores that have a lot of really good approvals but yet don't cost a bundle. That's not to say that there isn't a place for the more expensive boutique oils, but I just prefer a good bargain myself :p
Yeah, I remember you driving all over the GTA for 0w30 "German" Castrol for your Firebird. I think it was blended in Belgium.
Last summer I bought 5 pails of T5 15w40 for $60 each by stacking savings and Canadian Tire money, followed by 6 jugs of M1 0w40 API SP and 5 jugs of 10W40 GTX API SP. (I boycotted BP products for 5 years after the Gulf blow-out) When Diesel fuel hit almost $2.00 a liter, I could almost burn engine oil for the same price.

This right here. And if you don’t care about the SAPS level any Euro 0W-40 on the shelf is another great option.

Yeah, I remember you driving all over the GTA for 0w30 "German" Castrol for your Firebird. I think it was blended in Belgium.
The original green formula was actually made in Germany, it was labeled as Formula SLX over there at the time. IIRC, when the formula changed away from that version, that’s when production switched to Belgium. Others will correct me if I’m wrong. I do recall for sure that the Castrol 0w40 that I was running in my ex wife’s BMW was made in Belgium though.

This right here. And if you don’t care about the SAPS level any Euro 0W-40 on the shelf is another great option.

How do you see brands like Amsoil and HPL fitting into this? Do they have a role/use case or is it all a waste of money?

And also those question applied to brands like PP vs PUP which carry the same certs but are clearly marketed as "different products"?

Same here. Where I live Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 with MB 229.5 seems to be Castrol's default 5W30 that you can find everywhere and is often on sale at a decent price. Right now one of the auto stores has a half price sale on it. I don't need low SAPS, so I don't over think it, and often just grab that oil.

Back