Can you even buy a "bad" oil anymore? Even cheap syn is great!

Then again, some dealerships don't change your oil at all, they just make you wait for an hour or two to do your "Express" oil change and send you on your way with your old oil in the sump. How about that?
Is it just dealerships that do this or independents and chains as well? How do they decide which customers/vehicles to do it to or is it everyone? Is it employee incompetence, negligence, a mistake or actually the business model the establishment operates under?

In my opinion no….well, within reason. If it’s an oil that meets the specs for the application then they’re all “good enough”.

In my G35, daughter's Civic, and my wife's Highlander, those boutique oils will provide no discernible benefit to us. If people want to use those, feel free, but don't pretend or insinuate that Supertech is a bad oil.

I didn't insinuate supertech is bad. I insinuated that those oils are not at all equal in performance one way or the other.

Whether you think you need the quality of the oils I mentioned, that's a whole different discussion.

However you guys are claiming "oil is oil" and that is objectively untrue. They're not at all the same products.

I didn't insinuate supertech is bad. I insinuated that those oils are not at all equal in performance one way or the other.

Whether you think you need the quality of the oils I mentioned, that's a whole different discussion.

However you guys are claiming "oil is oil" and that is objectively untrue. They're not at all the same products.
Friends don't let friends use Supertech.

Edit; I can tell what someone looks like by what's in their shopping cart at the grocery store.
Same goes for what their vehicle looks like by the oil.

Last edited:
I don't get the rationale of buying SuperTech, when for the same money you can do better, like Mobil 1 better. And Mobil 1 uses higher quality ingredients compared to SuperTech.
Mobil 1 is a little better based on backyard testing thats all over the net. no idea if you will get longer engine life or not.

You really think an oil that costs $15/5qt is going to equal the performance of something like HPL, Amsoil, Redline and friends? All that increased price is pure profit for the expensive brands?
Most of it is pure profit. Selling boutique oil products is highly profitable. One look at Forrest Lucas's mansion here in Indianapolis (that he doesn't even live in much of the year) tells you that.

I’d like to see actual proof, not you typing it out, that Mobil 1 5w30 has a NOACK of 8% and an HTHS OF 3.7.
10W30 Delvac 1300 Super
40C 80
100C 12.0
HTHS 3.6
API CK-4/SP

ExxonMobil publish blending examples, I don't memorize them. Search formulation guide.

Last edited:
For most regular passenger cars being daily driven on public roads, the only thing you really need to worry about is selecting the correct viscosity and spec for your vehicle.
Keep the oil clean with whatever oil change interval achieves that for your climate and driving conditions and your engine will live a long and healthy life.

They are NOT the same price.

Says who ? Their marketing department ?
mobil1.gif

After reading many UOAs, watching video tests of, and trying the cheapest of oils you can get now, SuperTech (Walmart), Kirkland (Costco), and Amazon Basics, they all seem to be really great performing synthetics. The Kirkland 5w-30 syn at Costco today was $15/5qt jug!

We these being the bargain basement, I was thinking what oils would I actually avoid these days? Other than intentionally using the WRONG oil for an application, it seems you really can't go wrong. In the past there were known oils with waxes that sludged up engines (old Quaker State) or caused seal problems, but today are we living in a golden era of motor oils?
I was just wondering if you could post a pic of your 1967 Chevrolet Camaro.

Back