Can I check the odometer without starting the car on a new Mazda?

My 2013 CX-5 works this way, but with the clutch pedal. If you press in the clutch, the car starts when you push the button. If you don't press the clutch, first push gets you ACC, second gets you IGN (without starting) and third push shuts it all off again. Exactly like the brake in the automatic transmission.

Yes. I was able to see the odo when I pressed start without having my foot on the brake....I thank those who pointed this out to me. I have since found a section in the OM that mentioned 'Acc' by doing that but as I alluded to earlier...many of today's OM's are like reading 'War and Peace'....
PBM, Have you driven this car? I was thinking of having my wife test drive one since she hates her new outback. She wants a car with
Knobs for the HVAC. Plus the engine is no good on this one. Curious of your impressions. And leave that oil in for at least 1500-2500!
Mazda filters are pure awesomeness - if they are still Tokyo Roki.

Reactions: pbm
Yes. I was able to see the odo when I pressed start without having my foot on the brake....I thank those who pointed this out to me. I have since found a section in the OM that mentioned 'Acc' by doing that but as I alluded to earlier...many of today's OM's are like reading 'War and Peace'....

The owners manuals are bigger for sure. There is a lot to write about new cars these days.

Does Mazda have a car app for smart phones? If yes, maybe she can set you up as a second driver where you could access the odometer reading via your phone.

Knobs for the HVAC. Plus the engine is no good on this one. Curious of your impressions. And leave that oil in for at least 1500-2500!

The knobs are for temperature control. Everything else is controlled by buttons.

The filters are indeed Roki but the value filter may be a Denso made out of Mexico.

The knobs are for temperature control. Everything else is controlled by buttons.

The filters are indeed Roki but the value filter may be a Denso made out of Mexico.
Thanks. Pim, are you aware if anybody c&p the Mexican denso? After my terrible history with thai denso 15 years ago, I am a bit hesitant. But would trust North America materials sourcing over China - everyday. And I am no flag waver, just what I have experienced over the years.

Thanks. Pim, are you aware if anybody c&p the Mexican denso? After my terrible history with thai denso 15 years ago, I am a bit hesitant. But would trust North America materials sourcing over China - everyday. And I am no flag waver, just what I have experienced over the years.

I don’t recall seeing one here yet. The Roki filters come out of Thailand too and as far as I can see they are excellent build quality. I don’t have the means to cut one.

It would be interesting to see a value filter cut open.

@ARCOgraphite

I just remembered this thread.

@ARCOgraphite

I just remembered this thread.

Thanks. Not particularly impressed with either filter. But if the engine runs well and quiet then I wont overthink it! That's all I want. No bizarre and unforeseen noise issues after doing an OC. I do prefer a P-gasket on the base (or captured o-ring style gaskets) like the Denso has; I have NEVER had them leak - EVER. - Ken

Thanks. Not particularly impressed with either filter. But if the engine runs well and quiet then I wont overthink it! That's all I want. No bizarre and unforeseen noise issues after doing an OC. I do prefer a P-gasket on the base (or captured o-ring style gaskets) like the Denso has; I have NEVER had them leak - EVER. - Ken

Totally agree on the P gasket.

Does Mazda have a car app for smart phones? If yes, maybe she can set you up as a second driver where you could access the odometer reading via your phone.
Yes it does....I do like the fact that she can check her tire pressures via her "smartphone"....otherwise I doubt they'd ever be checked except by me. I probably won't download the app. `as I'm thinking of going back to a flip phone..(tired of butt dialing people and the size of my 'Android' phone is best suited for somebody with a pocketbook or 'manpurse'....something I won't ever have.)

PBM, Have you driven this car? I was thinking of having my wife test drive one since she hates her new outback. She wants a car with
Yes, I've driven it...it's very sporty for a CUV (or whatever they call it these days.) I pushed her toward the Mazda over the Hyundai Kona/Kia Steltos because of their ongoing issues with their engines (and we like Hyundai's). My S-I-L has a 2015 Mazda CX-5 (bought new) with the same 2.5 engine as the CX-30 and she has nearly 170K without a ton of maintenance (probably averages on OC every 7 or 8K...sometimes longer.) I think this engine is capable of 300K+ if well maintained.

It's a very nice vehicle to drive. She currently has 900 miles on it and is leaving for N. Carolina in 8 days....a few more trips to work in NYC should get her over 1200 miles (hopefully a little more)*** and I'll change it then because it may be months until it's serviced again. I'll probably use Idemitsu 0w20 which was FF but may go with M1 or Castrol Magnatec or Edge.....decisions, decisions....

What are your thoughts on adding some Liquimoly (that I already have) to the OC to mimic the high moly FF?

***I was always an early first oil change guy but now realize that changing FF at 1000 miles (like I used to) isn't necessary for long engine life. (I'm sure my S-I-L went over 5K....maybe 7K on her 167K CX-5's FF). Ideally, I'd change this car's FF at 2500 or 3000 miles but the car won't be here...hence the early OC.

Last edited:
Yes, I've driven it...it's very sporty for a CUV (or whatever they call it these days.) I pushed her toward the Mazda over the Hyundai Kona/Kia Steltos because of their ongoing issues with their engines (and we like Hyundai's). My S-I-L has a 2015 Mazda CX-5 (bought new) with the same 2.5 engine as the CX-30 and she has nearly 170K without a ton of maintenance (probably averages on OC every 7 or 8K...sometimes longer.) I think this engine is capable of 300K+ if well maintained.

It's a very nice vehicle to drive. She currently has 900 miles on it and is leaving for N. Carolina in 8 days....a few more trips to work in NYC should get her over 1200 miles (hopefully a little more) and I'll change it then because it may be months until it's serviced again. I'll probably use Idemitsu 0w20 which was FF but may go with M1 or Castrol Magnatec or Edge.....decisions, decisions....

What are your thoughts on adding some Liquimoly (that I already have) to the OC to mimic the high moly FF?
The Liqui Moly oil or oil additive?

I wouldn't mess with additives. If it were my car I would go 5w30 euro (has at least 3.5 HTHS)
I'm gonna stick with 0w20 for now....maybe 5w20 syn. in summer (to lower my stash). Maybe when she's over 100K I'll go with 5w30.

I know that Idemitsu makes the high moly 0w20 (Zepro) that is reported to be the same as Mazda's OE 0w20...Does anybody know if their regular SN version (that AZ cleared a while back) has moly?

Pimtac: I'd take your suggestion and buy Valvoline but I'm trying to use up what I have.....I do have some 0w20 QSUD which is reputed to have a lot of moly....

Last edited:
Back