Can flooring a cold car engine cause cold seizure?

Remember the old carbureted outboards, that would scuff pistons if you went full throttle on a cold engine on a cold day? The piston would expand faster then the cylinder could expand and scuff the pistons. Is the same thing possible on a car engine?

Pistons still expand faster than the block. Thankfully, engineers that design engines figured that out and buid engines with clearances that take that into account.
On some piston designs, Teflon pads are embedded in the piston skirts for this reason.
The downside to this is if the skirts wear too much, you end up with piston slap until the engine is warm.

Can flooring a cold car engine cause cold seizure?​

maybe, if the planets are all in alignment.

People who live on the main road here start their car and are going 50+ less than a minute later. I don't think it will severely damage anything.

Maybe the lower power per liter of a car engine means it'll warm up slower even at WOT.

I remember someone posting some place that is pretty much how GM was breaking in new engines at the factory. :oops:

On traditional engines with an oil pump driven off the distributor the possibilities are, accelerated wear on timing chain/gears, distributor/cam gears, and twisted and/or broken oil pump shaft.

I woke up on a freezing morning and had 4 minutes to get to work 7 miles away, so no. It was Sunday morning at 4:56am didn't see anyone else on the road.

Back