What causes a running vehicle to shut down in extremely cold weather?

It’s a federal regulation to have at lease 5% ethanol in gasoline in Canada. Also there are plenty of stations that have 10% especially in premium. I believe this was further discussed in other threads are there is no longer any ethanol free gas sold at pumps in Canada.

5EF35812-A8EF-4EDA-8163-3137C6543A99.png

Back in high school on a -40 deg morning my friend's Mom gave us a ride to school in their 390 engined Ford pickup. The coolant had froze and the engine overheated so badly that it started knocking and then quit. We had to walk the remaining couple of blocks to school, while she knocked on someone's door to phone for help (this was a long time ago).
I was surprised in that bitter cold that an engine could overheat so badly. I found out later that it had to be rebuilt.

If you go watch any of the siberian videos / road of bones - its why they literally never turn anything off.

I assume Alaska and the Yukon are similar.

It is cavalier relationship with old cars. Cheap battery, cheap tires, cheap brakes etc.

Add to that potential workarounds when it comes to electric installation maintenance. All that works in milid weather. However, deep freeze is actual test of how good those components are. One might start the car in garage, but charging can’t keep up in those conditions with heating seats, lights, heating steering wheel etc. Add to that potentially short commute, and there you go.
Also, what @Astro14 said, poor quality of coolant or old coolant.

I have seen:

- carburetor icing
- water in fuel line/filter freezing
- moisture in intercooler freezing
- moisture on air filter planar panel freezing

The ice blocks either the air or fuel and causes shut-down. Naturally, carb icing isn't happening on anything modern and intercooler icing isn't happening on anything non-turbo but there are quite a few vehicles on the roads that have these issues. Every European car that I've owned has sold air filters that have pre-filters for extreme cold environments specifically to prevent the filter blockage.
Always thought that was funny how the carburetor on my mower is 60 degrees in 110 degree weather.

Always thought that was funny how the carburetor on my mower is 60 degrees in 110 degree weather.
Related to the same phenomenon - I blew my oldest daughter's mind when I drained my air compressor at 150psi through the drain valve in the middle of the Virginia summer and made ice on the concrete floor of my garage. She couldn't believe it.

This is a very interesting post. When you see a car at the side of the road that has broken down, there is really no telling what happened, and I would say there is no hard and fast rule for what makes cars break down in very cold weather. Just pulling this apart a little more, I would point out that -40 degrees, whether Centigrade or Fahrenheit, is a very, very cold temperature. Most of those reading and responding will never experience it. It's just rare in the lower 48. Secondly, you point out your perception is that it is older cars. Some posters have pointed out that newer cars might be more resistant to this type of breakdown. I agree that frozen coolant, belts, carbs, fuel lines and hoses could be issues. Running out of gas, jammed fuel filters also a concern. Frozen oil even could be a concern.

To prevent this, here are my suggestions:

1. At -40, once the car is started, let it run. Let the heater run. There is a general idea out there that it is better to start driving and let the car warm up normally so as to not waste fuel. That idea is maybe appropriate for the temperate suburbs, but is wanker talk when the thermometer goes so low.
2. In cold weather, the basics are more important. New, properly protective coolant, fresh oil, brake fluid, hoses, belts, tires, leak-free unclogged radiators, new batteries, tested alternators and even spark plugs are your prime locations for failure. Maintenance at low temperatures include gas-line antifreeze, and a topped-off gas tank. And while I love a great thin/thick argument, the deep cold is no place for 20W50 oils.

I have seen:

- carburetor icing
- water in fuel line/filter freezing
- moisture in intercooler freezing
- moisture on air filter planar panel freezing

The ice blocks either the air or fuel and causes shut-down. Naturally, carb icing isn't happening on anything modern and intercooler icing isn't happening on anything non-turbo but there are quite a few vehicles on the roads that have these issues. Every European car that I've owned has sold air filters that have pre-filters for extreme cold environments specifically to prevent the filter blockage.

Moisture in intercooler is a solid thought!

This is a very interesting post. When you see a car at the side of the road that has broken down, there is really no telling what happened, and I would say there is no hard and fast rule for what makes cars break down in very cold weather. Just pulling this apart a little more, I would point out that -40 degrees, whether Centigrade or Fahrenheit, is a very, very cold temperature. Most of those reading and responding will never experience it. It's just rare in the lower 48. Secondly, you point out your perception is that it is older cars. Some posters have pointed out that newer cars might be more resistant to this type of breakdown. I agree that frozen coolant, belts, carbs, fuel lines and hoses could be issues. Running out of gas, jammed fuel filters also a concern. Frozen oil even could be a concern.

To prevent this, here are my suggestions:

1. At -40, once the car is started, let it run. Let the heater run. There is a general idea out there that it is better to start driving and let the car warm up normally so as to not waste fuel. That idea is maybe appropriate for the temperate suburbs, but is wanker talk when the thermometer goes so low.
2. In cold weather, the basics are more important. New, properly protective coolant, fresh oil, brake fluid, hoses, belts, tires, leak-free unclogged radiators, new batteries, tested alternators and even spark plugs are your prime locations for failure. Maintenance at low temperatures include gas-line antifreeze, and a topped-off gas tank. And while I love a great thin/thick argument, the deep cold is no place for 20W50 oils.
Except newer cars won't idle. The constant starting and stopping may be problematic in artic weather. Ive seen pics of every car in a donut shops parking lot idling in Alaska

Except newer cars won't idle. The constant starting and stopping may be problematic in artic weather. Ive seen pics of every car in a donut shops parking lot idling in Alaska
If you are talking about automatic start/stop (which I would love to disappear), it does not operate in the extreme cold, but if it did, it should be disabled. In my experience, newer cars idle better than ever, with modern carbs doing better than ancient carbs, fuel injection better than any carbs, and modern computers and DI even better than that.

I wonder if thermostats get "sticky" when cold, to the ultimate end of firmly sticking closed. Assuming properly liquid coolant, this could still cause a flow issue. Anecdotally, I have noticed marginal thermostats causing gauge swings when they finally pop open, watching the old non-computerized, non-deadened gauges.

A serpentine belt could have issues, particularly if it's required to spin a PS pump and its thicker fluid. I've only seen -25'F but at -15 and below PS systems groan (cavitate) and sound particularly unhappy until they warm up.

Environment Canada forecast for tomorrow night is -47 C. Historical cold record here is -49.4 C. I think it would be interesting to go drive around and see all the broken down vehicles, but then I might become one of those myself. Probably best to just hide under the covers and come out for Groundhog Day.

I've got my block heater and trickle charger plugged in.

The coldest I drove is -25F and my mum was pretty mad when I home for college break.

There was a 24” snow dump at a ski area called Mad River Glen and at that temp snow is so dry and champagne powder for skiing.

I actually had 20W50 in my 1988 Jetta GLI and it managers to start but sounded horrible. Touching the steering stalled car out. I also had to hold clutch because letting out stalled it . Once engine warmed I gently let clutch out and could hear the gears spinning in neutral.

Skiing was incredible and got sunny with balmy -15f :). The enamel on my teeth cracked a bit as dentist noticed when I was panting.

Back