Camry vs Accord vs ???

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Why not a a used Lexus ES 350? It's basically an up-fitted V6 Camry. A used 3 yr old can be had for less than a new Camry. Get one with a J VIN and it will go forever.

Ever try to work on a transverse V6?
smirk2.gif

And Toyota's transverse V6 offerings are among the worst!
mad.gif

I have, not a lot of fun, but then again the 3.5 V6's in the Lexus ES350 and Camry are pretty bulletproof. Tough to change the rear plugs and gaskets, but how often are you doing that?

I'd just go with the Camry and call it a day...like the Accord much better but I do think the Camry will be more reliable. I guess I'm one of the few that actually likes the Accord's new styling...Honda sure doesn't mind taking chances and don't seem to care what people think. Just yesterday a newer Civic came in to the shop and that thing had some very aggressive styling.

Originally Posted by Joe1
.......The concerns l have about the Accord are that they are turbo equipped nowadays and am not sure if they will hold up as well over the long term. Same for CVT vs the 8 speed auto in the Camry.

We went through much the same when we selected the Camry over the Accord last year. The Accord was a very nice car, and still is. However the Camry's non turbo 203 H.P. 4-cylinder, coupled to the more conventional 8-speed automatic transmission over the Accord's CVT, won us over hands down.

I think Honda did itself no favors at all by cancelling the V-6 engine option in the Accord. And replacing it with a lesser performing 4-cylinder turbo, that gets no better fuel economy than the V-6 Camry does. While delivering 50 less horsepower. (Over 300 in the V-6 Camry, to only 250 in the 4-cylinder turbo Accord). In fact, the turbo Accord costs over $1,700.00 more than the XSE trimmed V-6 Camry.

And to top it off, the extra cost turbo Accord has less than 50 H.P. more than the standard, normally aspirated 203 H.P. 4-cylinder that's standard equipment in the Camry. And can be had for over $10K less.

The Accord will sell well in spite of all of this. Because there are a legion of turbo fans out there, that will buy it regardless of it's lesser performance, higher cost, all coupled with no better fuel economy. Because they just love anything with a turbo in it.

Joe1, since you stated the fun to drive factor and styling are secondary, I would recommend your family member to pick the Camry.
We don't all have the same desires and needs when it comes to a vehicle. I'd pick an Accord Sport 2.0 with a 6 speed manual myself,
but what is good for me might not be right for someone else.

Camry has TERRIBLE transmission programming.

Great car other than the transmission. This is after a 600 mile and 2 week rental in city and highway driving. The Accord is very ugly.

Mazda 6 Sport with manual transmission is my choice.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Couple points on the Accord.

The Hybrid isn't turbo.

The 2.0T's have a 10 speed auto.

If it was me I'd pick the accord too, but I think this really comes down to which one the person likes better...

The Accord Hybrid doesn't even have a transmission, so no need to be concerned about what sort it has.
I've seen an average to date of a hair over 42 mpg in mixed daily driver use from the onset of cold weather the week after we bought it to now, after a little over 9K miles.

Test drive them both and buy what is preffered. The new Camrys have been said to have much better driving dynamics than ever before.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
Get the Honda and don't buy the turbo version. I have owned many Honda's and have had great luck and zero major problems.

Which would mean you're recommending the Accord hybrid. Since all other Accord models come with either the 1.5 liter turbo or the 2 liter turbo.

Get the Honda and don't buy the turbo version. I have owned many Honda's and have had great luck and zero major problems.

Not possible. Choices are 1.5T or 2.0T.

Since you say vs ???

Perhaps you or the buyer already realize this, but both Accord and Camry have become fairly large cars, if the previous car was say 10 or more years old the Civic and Corolla may actually be closer in size to the prior vehicle.

LX and Sport models of the Civic are non turbo and are also available with manual transmissions if that sort of thing appeals.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Great car other than the transmission. This is after a 600 mile and 2 week rental in city and highway driving. The Accord is very ugly.

I've been fighting with my Camry transmission lately. It loves to stay in high gear and lug at 1400 rpm all the time. Wish there was some way to change the programming to a sport mode.

Maybe Mazda has changed but you couldn't get all the bells and whistles and a manual tranny unless they've changed things.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by Mr Nice

I've been fighting with my Camry transmission lately. It loves to stay in high gear and lug at 1400 rpm all the time. Wish there was some way to change the programming to a sport mode.

Maybe Mazda has changed but you couldn't get all the bells and whistles and a manual tranny unless they've changed things.

Generally, the manual transmission is only available with the lowest trim but that is model specific. Finding one is the bigger chore. Of course you can use the automatic in manual mode but for some that is a sacrilege.

I purchased a 2018 Accord hybrid. The price differential between the standard "gas" Accord vs. the hybrid was much narrower the same comparison of the Camry hybrids. Gas mileage is a tad higher in the Camry, but not worth the price differential.

A very strong consideration for me, at the time of purchase, was that Apple Car Play was not available in the Camry. I use the Apple feature all the time with my WAZE application. Basically, a great gps displayed on my center console for free.

It is my understanding that the Apple Car Play is now available in the 2019 Camry, but the Android version is still not. Go figure.....

Originally Posted by SJUMBA
I purchased a 2018 Accord hybrid. The price differential between the standard "gas" Accord vs. the hybrid was much narrower the same comparison of the Camry hybrids. Gas mileage is a tad higher in the Camry, but not worth the price differential.

A very strong consideration for me, at the time of purchase, was that Apple Car Play was not available in the Camry. I use the Apple feature all the time with my WAZE application. Basically, a great gps displayed on my center console for free.

It is my understanding that the Apple Car Play is now available in the 2019 Camry, but the Android version is still not. Go figure.....

That's correct. Only Apple Car play on the 2019 Camry. I'd love to have WAZE on my center console.

ALL Accords are turbo now
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Charger

If I had to choose I would get a Honda. This would be my choice, though. I just don't get the bias of Chrysler, though.

"Because Consumer Reports said so." If I was a gambling man I'd place money on them rating similar cars, like the Grand Cherokee and Durango, or 300 and Charger differently even though they use the same parts on the same exact chassis.
smirk2.gif

Camry gets my vote though. Perfect appliance like vehicle.

Back