Accord Hybrid vs Crosstrek?

Some might find it odd to compare the two, but having researched lots of vehicles and driven several, I think I've narrowed it down to these two for my daily driver/winter beater.

These would be new, not used.

Here is my list of pros and cons for each:

Accord Hybrid EX-L:
Pros:
- better fuel economy
- nicer interior
- quieter under normal acceleration
- digital dashboard
- stop/start system unobtrusive
- front parking sensors

Cons:
- less practical - less cargo space with seats folded
- no AWD
- less ground clearance
- can't take off as quickly from dead stop
- first model year - teething issues?
- more expensive (by about $4k-$5k)
- exterior is rather bland looking

Crosstrek Limited
Pros:
- less expensive
- more practical - more cargo space with seats folded
- great visibility
- AWD
- more ground clearance
- more rugged for heavy winter use
- Made in Japan

Cons:
- a bit ugly :)

We get a ton of snow each winter, so Crosstrek has some advantage for me being AWD and having more ground clearance, although in years past I did get by with my RWD BMW and winter tires. The Accord being a first model year has me concerned.

If you had to choose between these two, which one would you go with?

Two very good vehicles. Is the Accord using the 2.0L? The Crosstrek has been proven to be a reliable vehicle. I'd lean towards the Subaru in your climate due to the heavy snow. I do like the current Honda 2.0L and in fact would likely get that engine if I were in the market for a Civic/Accord. Lacking power but it's very reliable.

Some might find it odd to compare the two, but having researched lots of vehicles and driven several, I think I've narrowed it down to these two for my daily driver/winter beater.

Accord Hybrid EX-L:
Pros:
- better fuel economy
- nicer interior
- digital dashboard
- front parking sensors

Cons:
- no AWD
- less ground clearance

Crosstrek Limited
Pros:
- less expensive
- great visibility
- AWD
- more ground clearance
- Made in Japan

Cons:

We get a ton of snow each winter, so Crosstrek has some advantage for me being AWD and having more ground clearance, although in years past I did get by with my RWD BMW and winter tires. The Accord being a first model year has me concerned.

I've spent time in an Accord Hybrid EX-L as our local Honda dealer used them as service loaners. Also own a 2022 CR-V Hybrid and 2023 Impreza Base.

Since you mentioned first model year issues with the Accord, the Crosstrek is being updated for 2024. Same engines carry over, but 2024 Crosstrek will use the same 11" touchscreen currently found in the Outback/Legacy. That touchscreen has been controversial with owners (combination of bugs, crashes, and lack of physical buttons). I prefer the small 6.5" screen (and physical buttons) that come with the base 2023 Impreza/Crosstrek. 2023 Limited models will have the 8" screen (and physical buttons)

We love the Subaru. It's perfect for around town use, easy to maneuver and park, but the drivetrain is not as refined as a Honda hybrid.

The Subaru is going to require more frequent maintenance compared to the Honda. Subaru recommends maintenance every 6 months/6,000 miles, whereas the Honda uses Maintenance Minder. Our CR-V Hybrid called for its first oil change around 1 year/9,000 miles.

The Subaru has a CVT. There have been some issues reported, but nothing like Nissan CVTs. The Subaru forums recommend CVT fluid change around 30,000 miles.

We did not purchase extended warranties on either vehicle, but comparing the Honda & Subaru factory extended warranties for the same mileage and distance, the Subaru warranty costs about 1.5x more.

Since you mentioned first model year issues with the Accord, the Crosstrek is being updated for 2024. Same engines carry over, but 2024 Crosstrek will use the same 11" touchscreen currently found in the Outback/Legacy. That touchscreen has been controversial with owners (combination of bugs, crashes, and lack of physical buttons). I prefer the small 6.5" screen (and physical buttons) that come with the base 2023 Impreza/Crosstrek. 2023 Limited models will have the 8" screen (and physical buttons)
Yeah, I know, which is why I'd only want the 2023 Crosstrek.

We love the Subaru. It's perfect for around town use, easy to maneuver and park, but the drivetrain is not as refined as a Honda hybrid.
Your impreza has the 2.0 engine, correct? The Crosstrek I test drove had the 2.5. Yeah, it wasn't the most refined, but it seemed OK - fairly responsive. But I agree, Honda drivetrain felt more refined, except when you floored it and had to wait for the gas engine to wake up and start delivering power.

People complain about Subaru's stop-start system as well, but thankfully permanent defeat devices are relatively inexpensive and easy to install.

Yeah, I know, which is why I'd only want the 2023 Crosstrek.

Your impreza has the 2.0 engine, correct? The Crosstrek I test drove had the 2.5. Yeah, it wasn't the most refined, but it seemed OK - fairly responsive. But I agree, Honda drivetrain felt more refined, except when you floored it and had to wait for the gas engine to wake up and start delivering power.
Yes, our Impreza has the 2.0 engine. Crosstrek Sport & Limited gets the 2.5 engine upgrade.

There are many reports of how "slow" the 2.0 engine is. I think it's adequate, especially for in-town use and relatively easy highway driving. Our regular travel routes also don't involve significant high altitude driving.

The Subaru CVT actually helps "disguise" the lack of power. Fuel economy on the Impreza isn't great (about 22 mpg vs. 33 mpg on the CR-V Hybrid) -- this is with winter driving in the northeast and an 85/15 city/highway mile mix.

If you are looking to purchase the 2023 Crosstrek, act soon. Order banks opened for the 2024 this past Friday and local inventory in my area is starting to drop on the 2023. We found our local Subaru dealer to be much friendlier and flexible with pricing than Honda, especially for hybrid. Hybrid is still subject to significant markups. Our local Subaru dealer honored VIP pricing and completed the entire negotiation process over e-mail.

If you are looking to purchase the 2023 Crosstrek, act soon.
I have a deposit on one, and it's ready to be picked up. But of course I started second guessing myself now that the 2023 Accord is out.

Now Honda is still struggling with some part supply issues. For example, they've started omitting blindspot monitoring (and rear cross traffic alert) on many Accords and CR-Vs as a result. Also, I had a US-made Accord once, some 20+ years ago, and the fit and finish was pretty bad. I know I shouldn't be holding a grudge against Honda for so long, but it still gives me pause.

If you get a lot of snow, then the Subaru is your answer.
Not to mention 1st year of the Honda. Don't buy a 1st year of anything.
I've owned several 1st or 2nd model year of Honda and Acura vehicles over the years., Specifically, 2008 Accord, 2014 MDX, 2017 MDX (mid cycle refresh but introduced ZF9 auto transmission), 2019 Odyssey. All of these vehicles had their quirks or enough TSBs to keep the local dealer busy.

The three vehicles in my signature are last model year of a generation. Hopefully all the quirks have been worked out and they remain reliable for many miles.

Not sure if you've made a decision yet? But if were between only those two, I would probably choose the Crosstrek since I am in the midwest and deal with snow as well. Currently have a 23 Crosstrek Limited 2.5 with 6k miles as a loaner while our Ascent is in for a few things, had it 4 days now. The 2.5 is an absolute must have IMO. I have driven older 2.0's and just wished there was a little more oomph. Not that the 2.5 is a rocket, but it seems like a much better fit. I got 26.6mpg (gauge indicated, didn't hand calculate) at 85mph (speed limit 80mph) on a 90 mile trip with almost no wind and some rolling hills. In town I've been averaging about 26-27mpg with somewhat of a heavy foot and sub 35F temps. I'm actually very impressed with that! I did a 10 mile stint at 75mph and it was hovering around 30-32mpg.

Now something I am not impressed with is no dual zone climate controls (more for the wife), cup holder is pushed pretty far back in the center console and is awkward to get your drink, no power lift gate and lots of road noise but rides nice. For the same amount, you could get a lesser grade Forester or Outback with a far better interior layout, much less road noise and more room. My in-laws have a 2019 Forester Touring and they get pretty good fuel economy, their only complaint is that it's a bit noisy but not as noisy as the Crosstrek when my FIL rode with me. Granted they do have a lighter foot and don't speed much. 75mph might be the max. The Outback is by far the most quiet of the 3 options if that is a factor. The CVT is pretty darn good and nothing I would shy away from. The CVT in the Ascent on the other hand has some annoying quirks.

Another alternative is a RAV4, for about $30k you can get an AWD XLE with cloth seats and a XLE Premium with leather for about $33k irrc.

Personally, I have always been a Toyota person. But when I was a technician I drove and worked on many cars. If you drive a Toyota or Subaru, they are very similar in how the interior controls are placed and functions, even before Toyota had a higher share in Subaru. Honda has always been a bit different in the interior layout and can be difficult to get used to if coming from the other 2 brands. My wife has a coworker that traded in her Honda Pilot because the control placement just never became natural after owning it for 2 years, she went back to Toyota after that. NIssan is an outlier that has always been awkward for me, whether it's driving them or working on them. Nissan just does things different than the other 3 Japanese manufactures.

I recently had head gasket replaced on 2012 Prius v and car died on road three weeks later. It was a rainy and foggy night and not sure if something from another vehicle somehow got underneath car to damage but needed a new vehicle-didn’t want to put more money in the Prius that has original battery and the fancy brake system could also be a problem costing 3000 or more to fix-car had 232 thousand on it.
So I decided to get a new vehicle and was faced with similar choice-the Subaru Crosstrek was the base 2.0 model with a six speed manual transmission and was about 25000 dollars-actually 24000-JenkintownPA Glanzman Subaru sent me an email with quote that was 1000 off the sticker.
When I read up on the car-saw that manual gets worse fuel economy like 25 mpg in mixed driving and was anemic. Nothing worse than slow car with mediocre fuel economy and the upper trims with the better but still not stellar engine are close to thirty thousand and some above that.

I went to a Toyota dealer and they had everything under the sun marked up 5000 dollars. Went to a Honda dealer and they had three Accord hybrids… wanted the ex leather but money is tight and when every model of a vehicle has the same power train-can’t totally justify paying more… although 19 inch tires may look cool but are ridiculous on an accord. I actually wish I forked over the extra money-17 inch tires get 48 mpg as opposed to 44-but made decision already.
Told the sales guy I won’t pay any market adjustment and won’t test drive the car unless can get it for the sticker price. They agreed and they threw in the 6 year tire wheel and windshield chip unlimited mileage warranty after I refused it-the finance guy just added it so he can get commission on it. Feel better with that knowing PA roads can be brutal. Have had car for less than a week-drives well-I do mostly highway about 125 miles a day for work commute… and getting a solid 40 mpg-while I am not gunning the engine am sating with traffic in left lane so going near 80 mph.
While I miss having the wagon space that had in the Prius-the Accord drives well and for the amount of driving I do-felt it made sense. Trunk is spacious and seats go down in the back. The paddle shifters are confusing in that they don’t let you pretend you are shifting the car, but the left minus paddle adjusts the strength of engine braking when going down a hill-which also regenerates the battery. Hitting the right paddle just resets the engine braking to not slow the car down as much and use your brakes.
Have driven it nearly 700 miles this week and the apple car play works well and think it is a solid purchase-although really didn’t want to be in position to have a car payment.
Thought about used vehicles but they are also pricey and felt that getting a car I like with good gas mileage and good acceleration as drive on route 83 highway from york la to Baltimore area that has about four steady and fairly steep inclines-that needed to make sure built momentum with the Prius and the accord does a seamless job and has “perfect” amount of horsepower and torque-especially for a front wheel drive car… hate overpowered front wheel drive cars that elicit torque steer. I did get the sticker price again in Baltimore County Maryland where the market adjustment is rampant at most dealerships. I did only actually go to the Toyota dealership-my brother who lives outside of Philadelphia sent me the crosstrek info and at least according to email they were going to take a 1000 off of the sticker price for the base model with the Sox speed manual transmission… Honda was willing to sell me the accord sport hybrid at sticker price-but when I also inquired about the one hatchback civic which was close to sticker on accord-they weren’t willing to forgo the market adjustment on that car.
I think the Accord hybrid is a better value overall-but an coming from the perspective of having put down 7000 on the car and now having a large monthly car payment-one last thing about the car-I an 6’3” longer torso-hate moonroofs as they do cut head room a bit and Prius Wagon was a lot better as needed to lower the seat to be able to sit straight up without a slight hunching. On the positive side… I have always needed a memory foam pillow to sit on for long daily commute-but accord driver seat is much more comfortable than Prius wagon- and 2011 tdi golf owned before and is more comfortable than my wife’s 2015 accord…

Last edited:
Inherited my MILs 2018 Crosstrek with 2 liter engine. Wife uses it for work 1.3 miles and around town 1 mile, here and there. I took it to our sons house 26 miles away 41 mpg and around town all 1 mile short trips 29 mpg. It is comfortable and great in the snow.

Accord Hybrid EX-L:
Pros:
- better fuel economy
- nicer interior
- digital dashboard
- front parking sensors

Cons:
- no AWD
- less ground clearance

Crosstrek Limited
Pros:
- less expensive
- great visibility
- AWD
- more ground clearance
- Made in Japan

Cons:

So far my parents have been underwhelmed with their 2015 Impreza. The A/C was looked at multiple times isn't very cold. Unless a recent fix I've seen multiple Subarus with head gasket issues or failures under 10 years old.

So far my parents have been underwhelmed with their 2015 Impreza. The A/C was looked at multiple times isn't very cold. Unless a recent fix I've seen multiple Subarus with head gasket issues or failures under 10 years old.
Head gaskets haven't been an issue once they moved away from the EJ series engine. Basically 2010 or 11 on up used either the FB or FA series engines depending on the model. The non WRX model Impreza is Subaru's entry level car, leaves a lot to be desired in many aspects imo. But hard to beat for an AWD car for the price if you just need basic transportation.

I like Subaru's a lot. But I think their more recent cars have been a bit underwhelming for overall quality. We have had some issues with our 21 Ascent that I think are easily avoidable. None of the issues have been serious, just little things that shouldn't be an issue this day and age.

Reactions: hrv
My last new Accord was a dud.
Yes way back in 2013....
As new horrible paint with the primer showing and alloy wheels that peeled in 2 years of meticulous care. Crazy road and wind noise and rattles.
Horrible radio on par with the early eighties Subaru's.
Lousy dealer prep that scratched the infotainment screen amongst other things.

The worst Honda-Acura I have ever owned. I would give Urabus a try....

Accord Hybrid EX-L:
Pros:
- better fuel economy
- nicer interior
- digital dashboard
- front parking sensors

Cons:
- no AWD
- less ground clearance

Crosstrek Limited
Pros:
- less expensive
- great visibility
- AWD
- more ground clearance
- Made in Japan

Cons:

I'm very happy with my HAH, although wife loves her Forester. Subarus do have an exceptional AWD system.
The last time I added up total fuel used from new was last October, around 76K, and the car had gotten 48.9 mpg over that interval.
I also stole the car when I bought it in September '18, which wouldn't happen now.
We've had four Subies and eight Hondas over the years and the Subies always required more attention over the miles.
I'd recommend the HAH.

The Crosstrek is the better long-term value. The Accord powertrain is an incredibly complicated unit and hybrids generally get more expensive repair issues as they age.

Back