Rental Rogue Review

This was a 2023 Rogue SV, non AWD. I drove it about 750 miles from NJ to MI in one day.

All in all, it was a decent drive.

Pros:
- Clean, well laid out interior with ample passenger and cargo space
- Well designed dashboard with high quality graphics
- Comfortable, well contoured front seats and lots of legroom in the back seat
- The 1.5 turbo engine was a bit sluggish off the line, but surprisingly peppy at speed. It felt notably quicker than a 1.5T Taos I test drove a while back. Engine noise was also well muted.
- Auto Stop/Start system was well implemented / non-intrusive - one of the best I've experienced.

Cons:
- steering seemed vague - not much on-center feel
- Android Auto was a bit buggy - my phone would randomly disconnect at times and I'd lose navigation
- some of the nanny features (lane assist/lane departure) are overly aggressive/annoying, but can be disabled

According to the on-board computer, I averaged around 32 MPG, most of it hwy driving at around 75-80 MPH.

Overall, it seemed like a well put together vehicle. I think the FWD SV trim stickers for around $30K, which sounds reasonable for what you get.

Last edited:
Nice review Pete...and great post levi..lol
The last Rogue I rode in was a Platinum with brown leather and yes it was white. This was my first Uber experience..

The lady was in her 50s and she kept acting like I was interested in her. In no way did I give any impression I was and wasn't.
Every sentence started with my husband..my husband...
Geez...enough already..
But I did tell her that her Rogue was too nice to use for Uber.

Last edited:
My wife had an AWD model when the ‘Yoda’s bumper was being replaced. She really liked it.

Ugly little car, but definitely seemed well made and a good bargain.

I haven't considered anything Nissan since their marriage to Renault. I do like the Altima but the CVT scares me.
I'm also not a fan of the small turbo engines in larger vehicle whether it's Chevy's Equinox, Ford's Escape or any of the Japanese. I would buy a small turbo 1.5 in a Fiesta ST or even a VW Jetta but not in an CUV.... just me.

I wonder how much better the MPG's of the Rogue 1.5T are over their 2.5 NA? It doesn't sound like it's that much if your averaging 32 MPG highway.

I haven't considered anything Nissan since their marriage to Renault. I do like the Altima but the CVT scares me.
I'm also not a fan of the small turbo engines in larger vehicle whether it's Chevy's Equinox, Ford's Escape or any of the Japanese. I would buy a small turbo 1.5 in a Fiesta ST or even a VW Jetta but not in an CUV.... just me.

I wonder how much better the MPG's of the Rogue 1.5T are over their 2.5 NA? It doesn't sound like it's that much if your averaging 32 MPG highway.
My 16 Rogue FWD with the 2.5 NA recently achieved 28mpg on a 600 mile mostly interstate run.

????

Jatco CVT, famous for failure!
Question-how many years have they been making this model with that transmission? Have there been any improvements in the transmission and has the failure rate declined?

BTW-it's the third best selling vehicle in it's class.

I'm waiting for answers to my two-only two questions.

Friend of mine has a 2018 Rogue, I'm 6'1, 280 lbs driver's side does not have ample legroom, or hip room. Where my 13 Ford Edge, has ample hip room, and ample legroom.

Question-how many years have they been making this model with that transmission? Have there been any improvements in the transmission and has the failure rate declined?

BTW-it's the third best selling vehicle in it's class.

I'm waiting for answers to my two-only two questions.

When Jatco came out with their CVT-8 it solved a lot of the problems that were happening with earlier models. This was after Carlos Ghosn gave Jatco the ultimatum to improve or be cast aside for another manufacturer.

Can't speak to its longevity, but the CVT in this Rogue behaved really well. It operated like a traditional automatic - you couldn't tell it was a CVT, and there was never any lugging, unlike in an Altima I drove 10 years ago. That was another positive I should have mentioned.

When Jatco came out with their CVT-8 it solved a lot of the problems that were happening with earlier models. This was after Carlos Ghosn gave Jatco the ultimatum to improve or be cast aside for another manufacturer.
Thank you. The issue on here is unwilling to be objective and give things a second look. OR-being an "Internet Parrot" and just repaeting what others have said. "When they first came out they were bad. They must still be bad". I used Goodyear tires twenty years ago and they were bad. They must still be lousy" (Even after how many NEW GENERATIONS of tires?)
Give me a freakin break!

If they would of had a new Rogue on the lot I’d have bought one instead of my ‘19, as the cost difference was minimal at the time. My 19 is good, but the new Rogues seem to be very nice.

We have a newer Escape at work I use a lot. It’s a good car, but climbing back into my Rogue is day and night for comfort. Plus the Rogue looks nicer inside.

Nissan needs to figure out cell phone connectivity better. It’s much more reliable than Chrysler, but moody, like you experienced.

Back