Camry vs Accord vs ???

The accord chassis feels tighter to me, and they seem to have more grunt if compared in the I4 forms. Camry 4 seems to oddly have to rev more to make power, though toyota seems to have improved that a good bit lately. I also prefer the accord styling better, but the road noise is a negative for me. I’d be giving a solid look, depending on the years considered, at used Volvos and used Lexus variants. The Lexus ES is a rebadged Camry (Avalon) with better appointments. The GS is similar to a RWD Camry, but uses a different platform and suffers greatly in mpg. I have greatly enjoyed used Volvo ownership, understanding they need a little more care - but they combine best attributes of both accords and Camrys - generally quiet, very comfortable, and can handle if you want them to.

i look after some high mileage Camrys owned by friends, and I’ll say this, they are easy to work on, seem built consistently well, and rack up miles without much drama.

but - when seeking out sedans, having owned an accord and a civic, I have driven instead Volvos and the current Lexus.
They are both fine vehicles. Only owned Hondas. My oldest son owned Nissans and Mazdas when living here at home between 2004 to 2006.
To me that Honda steering / suspension is a lot tigher and has more instant feedba
Seems the preference is ,almost, age related, lol. Younger, I preferred the Accord; Older I prefer my Camry.
Exactly. Wife's very words when we (years ago) test drove both. "I do not want any Toyota Camry!!! None at all because that is a granny car and I aint driving one of them!" LMAO. Well............ "happy wife / happy life" means we have never owned a Toyota Camry. NOW she just turned 65 and she is all about not wasting money so she is starting to lean towards ... "maybe we could use a Camry?" since I explained to her some of the costs etc...
that may end up costing folks with the GDI cars , especially the Hondas.

They are both fine vehicles. Only owned Hondas. My oldest son owned Nissans and Mazdas when living here at home between 2004 to 2006.
To me that Honda steering / suspension is a lot tigher and has more instant feedba

Exactly. Wife's very words when we (years ago) test drove both. "I do not want any Toyota Camry!!! None at all because that is a granny car and I aint driving one of them!" LMAO. Well............ "happy wife / happy life" means we have never owned a Toyota Camry. NOW she just turned 65 and she is all about not wasting money so she is starting to lean towards ... "maybe we could use a Camry?" since I explained to her some of the costs etc...
that may end up costing folks with the GDI cars , especially the Hondas.
It would seem you are already into the Accord, cost wise, so it might be more cost effective to continue to maintain the Accord with frequent oil changes, to offset the fuel dilution issue, and continue driving it, till it drops in another 150,000 miles. .02

If you are going to drive it for a quarter million miles and weigh over 120 lbs get the Honda for the seats.
Drove it over 500,000k and I'm close to 300lbs. Truthfully they are both great, the dealership is part of the equation,price, colour,etc. Having a Honda tattoo I'm kinda biased. They are #1 #2 to me. I like Toyota trucks and Honda cars.

Attachments

• IMG_20221001_173847.jpg
    IMG_20221001_173847.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 15
I think the gold standard bearer is still the Camry. They have really widened the range of the camry, and the hybrid system is seamless. Honda is good but their powertrain is finnicky. Fuel dilution, picky ATF. That being said, the new interior design language rolling out is surely putting Toyota on notice for the next gen.

Drove it over 500,000k and I'm close to 300lbs. Truthfully they are both great, the dealership is part of the equation,price, colour,etc. Having a Honda tattoo I'm kinda biased. They are #1 #2 to me. I like Toyota trucks and Honda cars.
We both actually love the Accords and have been buying and driving them for 25 years now. IMHO (never owning a Toyota) I kind of rate the Accords and the Camrys as very similar vehicles. They almost look like twins. Just from afar it appears to me , plus based on friends words who own Toyota trucks and cars it sounds like Toyota Corp values and treats their loyal customers better. Appears like Honda Motors would prefer to run from them instead of embrasing them like good companies do.

We both actually love the Accords and have been buying and driving them for 25 years now. IMHO (never owning a Toyota) I kind of rate the Accords and the Camrys as very similar vehicles. They almost look like twins. Just from afar it appears to me , plus based on friends words who own Toyota trucks and cars it sounds like Toyota Corp values and treats their loyal customers better. Appears like Honda Motors would prefer to run from them instead of embrasing them like good companies do.
The older Acura and Hondas from like 88 to 2000 and maybe a little beyond we're in my opinion Honda's best years. With all this new electric equipment coming out along with a giant dose of political correctness I just don't think Honda is staying to its roots. I miss the old Honda preludes

If you are going to drive it for a quarter million miles and weigh over 120 lbs get the Honda for the seats.
I'm closer to 200 pounds but I think just about the whole family complained about the seats in our two Hondas. They just weren't comfortable to any of us.

I'm closer to 200 pounds but I think just about the whole family complained about the seats in our two Hondas. They just weren't comfortable to any of us.
Yeah if you don't have at least lumbar support I can see where that's a tangible complaint. My Honda Civic didn't and the seats were less than stellar. This Accord is a little bit more hefty and I do have lumbar support but I wish the other Accord head lumbar in it and it does not.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Why not a a used Lexus ES 350? It's basically an up-fitted V6 Camry. A used 3 yr old can be had for less than a new Camry. Get one with a J VIN and it will go forever.

Ever try to work on a transverse V6?
smirk2.gif

And Toyota's transverse V6 offerings are among the worst!
mad.gif
You'll never have to work on it so no worries there.

Yeah if you don't have at least lumbar support I can see where that's a tangible complaint. My Honda Civic didn't and the seats were less than stellar. This Accord is a little bit more hefty and I do have lumbar support but I wish the other Accord head lumbar in it and it does not.
Well as we have been thru several different models of the Accords over the last twenty or so years we noticed changes (good + bad) much less bad than good. For instance the 2018 we have now is the nicest interior design. The car is actually smaller it seems than the 2009 it is parked in the garage next to. The 2018 drives so much better and handles very well and tight. Gets up to 44-45 mpg on interstates in cruise. All of the Accords we have had are bad with the wind noise. One of those things (just have to live with). There have been recalls for certain things and some excessive breakdowns of certain parts. We have been extremely lucky to never have a component failure other than I replaced the leaking radiator on the 2002 when it hit about 175000. I can say that the 2009 Accord's seats are extremely more comfortable than the driver seat in the 2018. I would be tickled pink if they did not put the diluter motors in them. Now that the shock of that has worn off, we planning to keep and enjoy it and just do whatever predictive / preventive maintenance we can. Also have a boosted warranty on the drive train. I see so many of them on the roads so I have to assume there is no massive a
It would seem you are already into the Accord, cost wise, so it might be more cost effective to continue to maintain the Accord with frequent oil changes, to offset the fuel dilution issue, and continue driving it, till it drops in another 150,000 miles. .02
YUP. Even with the dilution issue , we like everything else about it so we will make it last as long as we can and enjoy it. Honda has boosted their
drive train warranty so it feels a little safer now than when I first learned about what we had purchased.

Never owned a Toyota. All the Hondas we have owned the interior held up really great. Much better than the Chevys we used to own.
I find the factory Honda paints hold up real good too. But we keep our present two cars washed / waxed + garaged as much as possible.
I am sure that makes some difference as well as the manufacturer / paint jobs.
And this guy has never seen worse paint durablilty- 2/3's of the Accord has been resprayed under warranty, dark blue.

Well as we have been thru several different models of the Accords over the last twenty or so years we noticed changes (good + bad) much less bad than good. For instance the 2018 we have now is the nicest interior design. The car is actually smaller it seems than the 2009 it is parked in the garage next to. The 2018 drives so much better and handles very well and tight. Gets up to 44-45 mpg on interstates in cruise. All of the Accords we have had are bad with the wind noise. One of those things (just have to live with). There have been recalls for certain things and some excessive breakdowns of certain parts. We have been extremely lucky to never have a component failure other than I replaced the leaking radiator on the 2002 when it hit about 175000. I can say that the 2009 Accord's seats are extremely more comfortable than the driver seat in the 2018. I would be tickled pink if they did not put the diluter motors in them. Now that the shock of that has worn off, we planning to keep and enjoy it and just do whatever predictive / preventive maintenance we can. Also have a boosted warranty on the drive train. I see so many of them on the roads so I have to assume there is no massive a

YUP. Even with the dilution issue , we like everything else about it so we will make it last as long as we can and enjoy it. Honda has boosted their
drive train warranty so it feels a little safer now than when I first learned about what we had purchased.
Yeah last night I did a dipstick draw and siphoned out almost 4 quarts using an old oil analysis kit and a pump that took me like 30 minutes to drain 4 quarts out. I heard a lot of watery stuff coming out of the dipstick so I knew it was fuel and indeed it did smell like fuel. I have 40% left in my oil life and added new oil but I didn't reset the maintenance meter because it's still intend to go in to have the tires rotated and balanced with nitrogen added and do my CVT transmission fluid replacement from which I will then let them change the oil this time.

Yeah last night I did a dipstick draw and siphoned out almost 4 quarts using an old oil analysis kit and a pump that took me like 30 minutes to drain 4 quarts out. I heard a lot of watery stuff coming out of the dipstick so I knew it was fuel and indeed it did smell like fuel. I have 40% left in my oil life and added new oil but I didn't reset the maintenance meter because it's still intend to go in to have the tires rotated and balanced with nitrogen added and do my CVT transmission fluid replacement from which I will then let them change the oil this time.
Once I caught up on all the things you need to know about these tiny GDI 1.5 turbo Hondas, I instantly went from following the Oil Life Indicator to doing 3300 to 3500 mi oci. At that mileage the indicator still shows 60% to 70% when I change it and I have no idea how Honda has these oil life indicators set up to read and if they are just based on time or??? who knows what. I was using the high priced / extended range oils like I had always done but stopped wasting money on that for this car. I went from the long used Amsoil to off the shelf Castrol Edge 0w20 on the last one. Plan to used Mobile1 or the Castrol and do some testing for my records to keep on file should I ever have engine issues. I am about 2000mi into this oci and just checked the stick. So far so good. I been checking once a week. Like to check it after its been sitting a good while. Right away I notice with the Castrol the car is not throwing off so much heat as before. Even though certain oils brag about how they out perform others and keep the heat down that is hard to believe or make sense to me. I mean all of the cars are engineered to run at certain temperatures and if all is still stock set up and everything functions as normal I dont see how any oil can claim to make the engine run cooler? Certainly no engineer so that claim from Castol confuses me. Going on two years owning it and so far we are enjoying the heck out of the way the car rides and performs etc.... and the great gas mileage is certainly a nice surprised. Wife picked it out over the Acura (same pearl white/almost identical) that I had chosen for her on the same car lot and she still loves it so that is all I can ask for!

And this guy has never seen worse paint durablilty- 2/3's of the Accord has been resprayed under warranty, dark blue.
Mine lasted likely because I have been an auto detailing fanatic for over 30 years and likley wash n wax 100x more than recommended.
Keeping inside / covered or in shade has got be a plus as well. A buddy has a beautiful Toyota Tundra I think color is Forest Green
or Jade? Been kept outside uncovered for the 10 years he has had it since new and the roof and hood paint looks like its been cooked
or burned off. A shame cause its a great truck and other than that it would look factory new. Interior is immaculate.

Consider a Malibu if availability is a concern. I question if you can go to the dealer and find a new Camry or Accord for sale right now.
I would think this must only be someone's dream especially in this economy of today but I read a while back that Chevrolet was actually working on design and trying to get corporate GM approval to create a 2024 Chevrolet Chevelle. Even had several drawings on internet. I just cant see that
happening while they already have the Camaro in production.

The Accord has the 1.5T engine (the other option is a 2.0T). The 1.5T has a well-publicized fuel dilution issue, considerably worse than other TGDI engines. I'd avoid it.
This is not true. As a former Honda tech, the dilution is bad for people who short trip the car. They only drive 3 miles to work and 3 miles home in the extreme cold weather. I have seen 1.5t with 150,000 miles trouble free service. We also recommend 5,000 mile oil change intervals. Also fuel dilution is the nature of direct injected and turbo direct injected engines period. Worse thing you can do in these engines is let them idle unnecessarily. Idling in traffic is unavoidable. every consumer falls under the extreme category and should replace oil at 5,000 miles.

For simplicity, better reliability get the Camry as maintenance is easier. The accord is funner to drive, but is more finicky with maintenance. The Camry rides better also.

Back