Camry vs Accord vs ???

This is not true. As a former Honda tech, the dilution is bad for people who short trip the car. They only drive 3 miles to work and 3 miles home in the extreme cold weather. I have seen 1.5t with 150,000 miles trouble free service. We also recommend 5,000 mile oil change intervals. Also fuel dilution is the nature of direct injected and turbo direct injected engines period. Worse thing you can do in these engines is let them idle unnecessarily. Idling in traffic is unavoidable. every consumer falls under the extreme category and should replace oil at 5,000 miles.

And the average driver profile is…?

Picking those two is akin to fighting if French vanilla or vanilla bean ice cream tastes better :)
If unsure which is better, buy one (or hcmaybe two) of each flavor and do a proper taste test. Some chocolate sprinkles or maybe some strawberry sauce on top may help in the decision making process.

Driver profile?

Lots of drivers are in the short-trip, colder weather routine. That shouldn’t matter much with most autos but with the 1.5T it seems the master/servant relationship between driver and auto are reversed.

In any event, there are lots and lots of UOAs here that demonstrate the 1.5T is a prolific diluter, even for a TGDI engine. Of course, maybe it doesn’t matter that much in terms of durability. Guess we’ll know on a few years.

So I have experimented with my personal car. When I worked at Honda I bought a 2018 accord 1.5 touring. I purposely bought the 1.5t due to the CVT and that engine. I installed a catch can when I PDI the car. I left the factory fill in for 2800 miles. During this time I smelled fuel so when I checked the catch can It had a mixture of fuel and oil. I drained the factory fill and installed Mobil 1 EP 0w20. I bought the car in march 2018 so the weather was a little chilly. I do not let this engine idle unnecessarily at all, only to let turbo idle down after driving and the normal stop sign and red light traffic. I would check the catch can every 1000 miles and would have fuel in it. So I decided to send oil to black stone after 5000 miles. They came back and said fuel was at 1.8%. The oil had also thinned out to a low low 20 weight oil almost a 10 weight. I found the owners manual for Europe and read it. They call for 91 octane over there as well as an ACEA C3 rated 0w30 to a 5w40 depending on climate. I decided to try 93 octane and changed the oil with same Mobil 1 0w20 EP. there was not one drop of fuel in the catch can nor oil, and the oil didn’t smell of fuel. I have been running 93 octane since. Sent of oil for another analysis and it was then 0.8% fuel in oil. After 40,000 miles I started using Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 and the engine sounds way better and quieter. I sent the oil to blackstone again and it stayed a thick 30 weight. I now have 100,000 miles in car and never had one issue. I don’t work at Honda anymore as I moved to several manufacturers since. I never seen any 1.5t with issues other than injectors. Had one that they tuned an SI and had coolant going into cylinder. I have maybe replaced 2 CVT trans versus 4 a week at Nissan. I hate when I hear people say Honda isn’t the same company as they were before. Well no company is but Honda and Toyota do still hold that reliability factor. The US government is forcing car manufacturers with the fuel economy, and the direct injection just is more problems than good. They dilute the oil with soot and fuel.

With all the model changes and complexity it is hard to guess but I have never like the feel of Hondas or Subarus when I drive them. Based on that I would buy a Camry, I like Camrys To me Toyotas are the lesser of the Japanese car manufactures evils.

So I have experimented with my personal car. When I worked at Honda I bought a 2018 accord 1.5 touring. I purposely bought the 1.5t due to the CVT and that engine. I installed a catch can when I PDI the car. I left the factory fill in for 2800 miles. During this time I smelled fuel so when I checked the catch can It had a mixture of fuel and oil. I drained the factory fill and installed Mobil 1 EP 0w20. I bought the car in march 2018 so the weather was a little chilly. I do not let this engine idle unnecessarily at all, only to let turbo idle down after driving and the normal stop sign and red light traffic. I would check the catch can every 1000 miles and would have fuel in it. So I decided to send oil to black stone after 5000 miles. They came back and said fuel was at 1.8%. The oil had also thinned out to a low low 20 weight oil almost a 10 weight. I found the owners manual for Europe and read it. They call for 91 octane over there as well as an ACEA C3 rated 0w30 to a 5w40 depending on climate. I decided to try 93 octane and changed the oil with same Mobil 1 0w20 EP. there was not one drop of fuel in the catch can nor oil, and the oil didn’t smell of fuel. I have been running 93 octane since. Sent of oil for another analysis and it was then 0.8% fuel in oil. After 40,000 miles I started using Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 and the engine sounds way better and quieter. I sent the oil to blackstone again and it stayed a thick 30 weight. I now have 100,000 miles in car and never had one issue. I don’t work at Honda anymore as I moved to several manufacturers since. I never seen any 1.5t with issues other than injectors. Had one that they tuned an SI and had coolant going into cylinder. I have maybe replaced 2 CVT trans versus 4 a week at Nissan. I hate when I hear people say Honda isn’t the same company as they were before. Well no company is but Honda and Toyota do still hold that reliability factor. The US government is forcing car manufacturers with the fuel economy, and the direct injection just is more problems than good. They dilute the oil with soot and fuel.
I have never been a fan of 20w oils. Minimal protection headroom.

Betcha the UOA lab was Blackstone? They always underestimate fuel dilution as has been pointed out here many, many times. Try Oil Analyzers next time and insist they use gas chromotography.

Betcha the UOA lab was Blackstone? They always underestimate fuel dilution as has been pointed out here many, many times. Try Oil Analyzers next time and insist they use gas chromotography.
Yes the UOA’s were blackstone. I am aware they don’t have a good method of testing for fuel. It did what I needed to confirm with the premium fuel.

With all the model changes and complexity it is hard to guess but I have never like the feel of Hondas or Subarus when I drive them. Based on that I would buy a Camry, I like Camrys To me Toyotas are the lesser of the Japanese car manufactures evils.

I go back and forth on these brands for autos, having mixed experience but overall great luck with both.

Toyota and sister company Lexus have made it hard on me to get parts after about 15 years. My RX400h's trim work was coming off the car and the best advice multiple dealers could give me was "go to a junkyard. I had just a few other mechanical problems I got fixed promptly.
At the same time Lexus is the only company that replaced a cracked dashboard for me after decade - this was as much my excellent rep as anything. I never had a better service rep than my lexus guy.

Now which company has made a bigger impact in my life on me - few more than Honda.

My XR 75 started it all, on my CR125 I won trophies. Honda gensets powered our camps and houses, I dragged a peg for the first time on a Honda 750 super sport. My first threee wheeler was an ATC 90, and I had odyssey/ pilots. Honda cars got us around, and my honda truck has been fantastic.

Back