Camry vs Accord vs ???

A family member of mine is in the market for a new car because of an accident where previous car was totaled.

Person has a preference for Japanese cars that are reliable, long lasting and somewhat fuel efficient and is not enough of a car enthusiast to differentiate between a boring Toyota or something more fun to drive.

I was asked for an opinion regarding the pros and cons of Accord and Camry. If it was me, l would pick the Accord, but l want to provide objective advice. The concerns l have about the Accord are that they are turbo equipped nowadays and am not sure if they will hold up as well over the long term. Same for CVT vs the 8 speed auto in the Camry.

This family member has taken cars to 250k miles in the past before the days of CVT, turbos, DI, VVT and other new things in new cars that might make them less reliable for the long term.

I'm interested in hearing others opinions regarding the pros and cons of each primarily from a reliability and longevity perspective. The fun to drive factor and styling are secondary. Are there any other cars out there better equipped to hit 200k miles and last 10 years plus?

then go with the boring Toyota. The Honda is a little more of a "driver's car"; but perhaps not quite as reliable. Of course, the Honda fans will disagree.
both of them are winners. top of their class.

Last edited:
Camry any day, go with the 2.5 4 banger.

Edit: I see someone mentioned Mazda, if you state the car operates in uses salt scratch that one, they rust like crazy on the rear quarters.

Last edited:
So, this person ONLY cares about longevity?

I'd recommend they buy a three year-old, base-model vehicle at the lowest possible price they can find and carry on with their life.

The Accord has the 1.5T engine (the other option is a 2.0T). The 1.5T has a well-publicized fuel dilution issue, considerably worse than other TGDI engines. I'd avoid it.

Couple points on the Accord.

The Hybrid isn't turbo.

The 2.0T's have a 10 speed auto.

If it was me I'd pick the accord too, but I think this really comes down to which one the person likes better...

Originally Posted by philipp10
Have her buy a boring Chevy sedan. Plenty of them available I hear.

Right or wrong, this person would never consider a domestic brand and is completely brainwashed into believing that Japanese cars are superior.

Easy. Get the Camry
smile.gif

The Camry by a slim margin. Another point to consider, which local dealer has the best attitude towards customer service? If said named buyer does not do any of their own maintenance/repairs, competency of the servicing dealers service department is going to be pretty important.

I'm not a fan of the accord styling compared to my 2015, but the Camry looks so plastic and wannabe boy racer. It's lines could be better if not for that.

Ive heard that the Camry suspension has tightened up, but any one I've ever driven has a driving feel like an old couch.

I kind of have my doubts that longevity of the 1.5T is really going to be a concern. Fuel,dilution yes, but oil chemistries are improving to address that, and generally the path to a 150-200k trade in is to minimize other failures like alternators, radiators, transmissions, window regulators, etc. There's no evidence that they have fared for the worse.

Being scared of turbos is unfounded, IMO. At least I would never shy away from a turbo on the basis that it was one.

But the simplest car is likely the one with the least chance of issues (and possibly one that the owner will dislike due to lack of comforts). If a 2.5L Camry is available and removes many lingering wild cards, then that's likely the best bet for the specific person in question.

All are scared of a CVT but I put 222,222 miles on one with 25k fluid swap. I cringe on a 10 spd auto. Wait till the fluid needs changed. That cant be cheap. I have faith in Honda cvt,just using a better fluid and changing q 2-3 oci. Love my Honda dealer. Get a free loaner always and can call GM even on weekends. I like Toyota too,but tuned and wrenched on Honda only so you know where my bias is at.

I love Accords and Camrys, but the new ones look pretty bad.
I wanted to like the new Accord, but just can't do it.
But I hear they drive really well.

You could do a nice used 2017 Accord Sport Special Edition; it was a great package with the leather seats.

If all they are concerned about is reliability, go for the Camry. If driving is of any importance, go for the Accord. It is the better car all things considered.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Why not a a used Lexus ES 350? It's basically an up-fitted V6 Camry. A used 3 yr old can be had for less than a new Camry. Get one with a J VIN and it will go forever.

Ever try to work on a transverse V6?
smirk2.gif

And Toyota's transverse V6 offerings are among the worst!
mad.gif

Back