California to end sales of gasoline-only cars by 2035

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will force a lot of low income people out of personally owned transportation.
To a point maybe, but in reality how many of these folks are buying new cars in the first place? They will continue to hit the used market whether to be ICE or EV...likely ICE in the lower price brackets.

WellI drive a 2001 so in 2035, I should have a 2010 car by that time. I won’t be out of the game for a while.

Not to be political but this can just as easily get reversed by the next guy that wants a headline.

If I could afford a Tesla Model S Plaid or Porsche EV I’d definitely buy one.
Go for it Dave! Can't take that splash cash with ya when ya go, right?
And let me take it for a spin!

The beauty of our chump change Model 3 is, I let lotsa people drive it. That would be really hard to do with a Taycan, for me or the driver.
Now I did see a gorgeous dark gray Taycan earlier today... When they 1st came out, we saw one parked in downtown Palo Alto; Sue cooed, "Ooh, is this ours?"

Yes.

I think the cows will come home we’ll before people realize it’s about control as opposed to saving the planet.

You will own nothing and be happy...private car ownership, and recreational transport are the enemy...

If you go back in the archives, my prediction was that self driving EVs with resource expensive batteries are incredibly wasteful sitting 22 hours a day....ultimately, as you step out your door for your commute, your user self driver will turn up, and you'll subscribe to the service.

Manufacturers selling you a car won't be the model by 2035...12-18 month wait on a hilux here...I couldn't even test drive one for 8 weeks...in which time I was 8 weeks into the wait for a D-Max

I can afford to build a larger solar system, cobble in some LFP batteries and inverter, to charge an EV. (although every capable EV is out of my reach). What this gets me is relatively trouble free local travel. Unfortunately, I'm not that guy. I'm on the move constantly, powered by a steady diet of hydrocarbons. I'm the guy who gets things done. Come to think of it, the men who feed the world, construct the world, power the world and transport the world (yes, it's 98% men) need hydrocarbon power to make all of that happen, lots of it.
Hearing you...

I make sure that the EVs are charged in the morning after a windless dark night...

In a bit of a personal energy crisis here, as well as the two week market intervention back in July, after wholesale prices breached retail by a huge margin.

Had to upgrade the gas heater start of lockdown, and post loss of family, as the old heater failed, and working from home with a 12C house didn't work...gas in now 4c per MJ, but that's equivalent to $1 44 a litre for diesel, which was the price then.

Put in recently a small wood fire in the back of the house, as it's electricity and gas free, heats an unheatable area, and I like it.

6.6kW of solar panels producing 20KWh in winter, and 45 in summer...grid power is now 30c, and my feed in has dropped from 12c to 7c...and the electricity market needs that price to be negative at times....so looking at heat pumps to part replace gas, and cool, which I've never done before, but if my energy is worthless, then why not.

Expensive, but a battery to charge an EV battery is another level...

Last edited:
It's all possible just not in the time frame set forth.
It can be achieved but ALL must be involved and that will not likely happen.
Why does my country feel the need to sacrifice "everything" in order to be the so called leader.
I'm OK with the Status Quo. Everyone with half a brain knows you can not rush change.
Yet we let the ignorant control what the majority disapproves of.
Crash test dummies at least know what they signed up for.
May God Bless America.

You will own nothing and be happy...private car ownership, and recreational transport are the enemy...

If you go back in the archives, my prediction was that self driving EVs with resource expensive batteries are incredibly wasteful sitting 22 hours a day....ultimately, as you step out your door for your commute, your user self driver will turn up, and you'll subscribe to the service.

Manufacturers selling you a car won't be the model by 2035...12-18 month wait on a hilux here...I couldn't even test drive one for 8 weeks...in which time I was 8 weeks into the wait for a D-Max
We’ve been told here there’s nothing to worry about.

Nice to here from you by the way. I hope all is well.

Well, there are lots of people you do basically own nothing and live quite well! This is most easily done in a big city where some good planning can make a car unnecessary in your normal life. In Europe you can live in a pretty small town and still not need a car, rent a nice apartment, and go skiing every weekend in the winter, go hiking and biking different places all summer, etc... Your major assets could be your bikes and skis!
Parts of north America have European population densities, but we don't have the tradition of using public transportation, and so we don't have a good system and so for most people a car is a requirement for them.

It sure will be a boost in business for auto repair facilities as more people will be keeping their gas powered vehicles on the road much longer.

Australia banks are going to stop lending money for ICE vehicles, another state back east MA I think it was also banning the sale around 2030.

How long till they stop the sale of gas/diesel to the public and keep it for government operations only?

Wife and i are looking at buying a new vehicle here next year, starting to wonder if it's a bad idea. we do a lot of back woods traveling. an EV would not work for us.
maybe its coming time to get a mule and name it brandon.

Last edited:
1661616636257.jpg

These states that are going to ban new ICE sales will become a madhouse a few years before it kicks in because people will be clamoring to buy a new ICE before it's too late. Watch dealer ADM go through the roof. This will probably also kill physical dealerships when all they have to sell is new EVs ... that will probably make the car companies just go on-line purchase of EVs similar to how Tesla does it.

Do you know how much gas costs here? People can buy used cars, by the way.
Hybrids will still be allowed. It's only 100% ICE vehicles that are planned to be discontinued.

..... California’s rule has some exceptions. Older gas-powered cars could still operate
and be sold on the used-vehicle market. In addition, some hybrids that are powered
by gas and electricity will also be allowed.

These states that are going to ban new ICE sales will become a madhouse a few years before it kicks in because people will be clamoring to buy a new ICE before it's too late. Watch dealer ADM go through the roof. This will probably also kill physical dealerships when all they have to sell is new EVs ... that will probably make the car companies just go on-line purchase of EVs similar to how Tesla does it.
They'll have lots of carve-outs exempting state and local govt employees/officials......'essential' workers (health care/police/teachers)...friends and family of the governor, etc. Then all those folks will be able to open up lucrative 2nd-jobs/businesses flipping their ICE vehicles into the private vehicle markets for $$$!

Hybrids will still be allowed. It's only 100% ICE vehicles that are planned to be discontinued.

..... California’s rule has some exceptions. Older gas-powered cars could still operate
and be sold on the used-vehicle market. In addition, some hybrids that are powered
by gas and electricity will also be allowed.

Toyota will benefit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back