California to end sales of gasoline-only cars by 2035

Status
Not open for further replies.
California does make sense to go non ICE soonest because there not really connected to the shale fields and Houston refineries like the rest of the country, so most of their oil is foreign and comes by ship. So if there is a energy shortage due to wars, etc - California will loose their supply while the rest of the country will not. Second reason is they are in one of the most ideal locations in the world to generate both solar and wind electricity, but they will need to figure out grid storage, etc because those only work in the day.

Having said that, I wonder if all these CEO's and politicians talking about something 13 years from now know full well it isn't going to happen, but they optics work well for them and they will either be retired or in a different position anyway. I digress.

Canberra is to go all electric by 2035 also.
Interesting, If I bought a Kona to drive to my Mum's (Canberra), I would make it...then have 32 hours of recharging from a power point before returning, or not have range to get home.
A loose Stat is that half of the superchargers in Oz are out of service at any time, some requiring a technician to drive a few hundred ks to check and reset.

Interesting, If I bought a Kona to drive to my Mum's (Canberra), I would make it...then have 32 hours of recharging from a power point before returning, or not have range to get home.
A loose Stat is that half of the superchargers in Oz are out of service at any time, some requiring a technician to drive a few hundred ks to check and reset.
That's why Tesla is ahead of the pack; the car shows you locations, how many chargers, how many in use and how many down.
Of course I am not aware of how much informations other EVs show; maybe there's similar information.

Exactly this. The EV "revolution" isn't the kind of revolution people think it'll be. Never mind the cost of vehicle purchase - the electricity to power the car will be so exorbitantly expensive that ordinary middle-income households will be bankrupted if they dare try to run it.
Just what happening in EU, electricity 6x more expensive than it was last year. Now just wait for the winter, will it be 20x more expensive

Every single car maker pivoted already seeing how much money exists in becoming EV mfgs. Industry careers who were in involved in ICE development are moving onto retirement, repurposing their talent into other sectors like heavy industry, or maintaining existing service and parts.

This whole CARB deciding for us is hilarious, more optics than anything.

I'm already paying 40-50 cents a kilowatt hr between transmission and generation with Edison and thats with 50% renewable energy. Does anyone realistically expect that to go down? When the cost to charge an electric vehicle starts approaching $40-50, it's comparable to 3 dollar gas and and a hybrid.

CARB should be dismantled, they had some shill on TV saying vehicles is the number one green house gas emitter. What about John Kerry's jet fuel or the coal plants in Indian and China?

These vehicles aren't 0 emissions. Why don't they list how much carbon/emissions was produced in the production, mining, and fabrication of the battery pack right on the EPA window themselves. Compare 1 for 1 vs an ICE. Then people can decide for themself.

This screws over someone like myself, I drive 5k a year. So I'm supposed to put 50k on the car after 10 years only to have its capacity wane due to time? A toyota would just be broken in.

Sure CA has the ability to set emissions due to federal waiver but this isnt the 70s. So what they are setting the emissions level to 0? This will be challenged in court if it ever gets implemented as it affects the ability to conduct interstate commerce. These people are nuts. Hopefully I don't live here by then.

Last edited:
That's why Tesla is ahead of the pack; the car shows you locations, how many chargers, how many in use and how many down.
Of course I am not aware of how much informations other EVs show; maybe there's similar information.

That would save a trip for Shannow then since half the chargers are out of service.

I’ll bet those chargers attract wasps. They love electrical stuff. It would be adventurous trying to charge your car though.

That would save a trip for Shannow then since half the chargers are out of service.

Just downloaded an app...one of the chargers (paired) in town has been down for 4 months...

Looking at the trip, had I an EV, fast charge is 60c/KWh - 16c/MJ...diesel is 5.6c/MJ, but obviously used less efifently...$40 in the Kona versus $75 in my (Current) ute... $65 in my next...My ute can carry stuff, and fill in a few minutes.

If I got the soon to be released LDV Electric Ute, I couldn't make the trip in the first instance, would spend an hour and a half waiting for a fast charge, at one of the two chargers near the range limit should they be working, and not charging one of the 30 cars per cord that they can charge a day...would be $65 (plus coffee), and 33% higher up front (for LDV ute).

My fully equipped D-Max, will cost less than the LDV...by a long way.

By 2035 I think the world will be embroiled in much more serious issues than EV or ICE. I'm talking worldwide economic distress, actual life threatening pandemics, ever larger military engagements, trade conflicts, social issues; you name it.

Scott
See post #5 - note the defense option, lol.

I can afford to build a larger solar system, cobble in some LFP batteries and inverter, to charge an EV. (although every capable EV is out of my reach). What this gets me is relatively trouble free local travel. Unfortunately, I'm not that guy. I'm on the move constantly, powered by a steady diet of hydrocarbons. I'm the guy who gets things done. Come to think of it, the men who feed the world, construct the world, power the world and transport the world (yes, it's 98% men) need hydrocarbon power to make all of that happen, lots of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back