CAFE has Little to do with Motor Oil Viscosity Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford sells more light duty trucks & SUV's than any other auto maker. I'm sure that is a large part of the reason for their move over to 5w20 for most of their vehicles. Otherwise they'd probably be paying a billion dollars or more.

Unfortunately, as others have eluded, what is best for high performance automobiles, doesn't necessarily support CAFE legislation.

Case in point, many contemporary Australian Ford V8/V6 cars seem to be using, 15w40, 15w50, or 20w50, as opposed to the lighter oils recommended in America.

http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/which-oil-do-you-use-t83719.html

I believe large corporations are always going to do what's best for them, as opposed to what is best for the people who buy their products.

The fact the Boss 302 & Shelby are spec'd for 5-50W tells me that weight oil is the best call for performance driving (track night) if you have a 2011+ Mustang GT, despite the fact the owners manual states 5w20.

I would not compare anything that Australian's use to compare with any other country in regards to motor oil viscosity. I am surprised that some of the posters on here are able to find a 30 grade oil is Australia. I have been able to find many motor oils in my travels have you seen 25W-60? I have. But I have not seen 25W-70 which is common enough Australian's can buy it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`d actually thought about using RP mono 40 during the winter and RP mono 50 during the summer at one time. But at $10 per quart and no more Synerlec,my RP days are over :^(

I noticed that bit about the flashpoint of 50 versus 20w-50, too.

As for Synerlec, it would not surprise me if the straight grades still had it. They have not updated their specifications and are still SJ, so they don't have to worry about any of the phosphorus or sulfur limits under the latest API and ILSAC specifications.

@Shannow: That's some experiment! I can imagine it didn't like it much.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
I believe large corporations are always going to do what's best for them, as opposed to what is best for the people who buy their products.

The fact the Boss 302 & Shelby are spec'd for 5-50W tells me that weight oil is the best call for performance driving (track night) if you have a 2011+ Mustang GT, despite the fact the owners manual states 5w20.

Bingo!!!!

Originally Posted By: Brigadier

Bingo!!!!

Faulty reasoning. Those cars have different internals and make MUCH more power compared with a regular GT.

I'm not a fan of 5w-50's, especially Motorcraft's. There was a thread here a few weeks back where a bunch of UOA's of MC 5w50 were posted by Shelby Club members. They sheared by an average of 30% and became 40-weights, and a couple even sheared to 30. Also the MC 5w50 is low-zddp, so it won't necessarily give good wear protection. Find a good shear-resistant 10w40, and you'll have better protection than MC 5w50.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...371#Post2611371

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Bingo!!!!

Faulty reasoning. Those cars have different internals and make MUCH more power compared with a regular GT.

I know the Shelby has a supercharger & a different motor, but I thought the Boss 302 was basically a GT that has a different intake, oil cooler, better suspension etc. Are you saying the Boss 302 has forged internals? If not, there isn't much different from a GT, except that it was designed for the track.

The Boss 302 has upgraded intake system, forged rotating assembly, CNC ported heads, revised camshafts and a high flow "runners in the box" intake taken from the 302R racecar.[10] It produces 444 horsepower – a 32 hp (24 kW) over the standard GT’s 412 hp (307 kW). The engine loses about 10 lb·ft (14 N·m). of torque at peak when compared to the standard GT. It is rated at 380 lb·ft (515 N·m). and comes with a six-speed MT-82 manual transmission.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
The Boss 302 has upgraded intake system, forged rotating assembly, CNC ported heads, revised camshafts and a high flow "runners in the box" intake taken from the 302R racecar.[10] It produces 444 horsepower – a 32 hp (24 kW) over the standard GT’s 412 hp (307 kW). The engine loses about 10 lb·ft (14 N·m). of torque at peak when compared to the standard GT. It is rated at 380 lb·ft (515 N·m). and comes with a six-speed MT-82 manual transmission.

The standard GT makes 420HP now. I have a hard time believing that 24HP is a significant enough difference by itself to warrant a viscosity jump of THREE oil grades.

It is intended application here that is the difference. Ford expects the BOSS 302 to be tracked. They expect most of the regular GT's to probably be street driven or drag raced.

Cars that are tracked for long periods of time often use heavier grades to account for fuel dilution which will thin the oil out. A 15w50 may be a 5w30 or lower by the end of a race.

Bingo!!!!

NO, his reasoning makes perfect sense. Riddle me this. Why does the regular GT get speced for 5w 20w when the exact same car with the track pack specifies 5w 50w oil? The internals are exactly the same with only suspension, rear end, and tire changes ect.. The track pack has zero to do with the engine.

This is an admission by Ford that they know that a thicker weight oil is better under abuse.

Originally Posted By: nomochevys

Bingo!!!!

NO, his reasoning makes perfect sense. Riddle me this. Why does the regular GT get speced for 5w 20w when the exact same car with the track pack specifies 5w 50w oil? The internals are exactly the same with only suspension, rear end, and tire changes ect.. The track pack has zero to do with the engine.

This is an admission by Ford that they know that a thicker weight oil is better under abuse.

The fact that ford back speced the 5w20 on many vehicles proves that said engine was NOT designed to only use 5w20. The fact that the exact motor with exact specs/tolerances calls for 5w30 or higher in other areas-even with similar climates-are also valid reasons pointing 5w20 was called for EPA and CAFE reasons.

Last edited:

A winner is you!

Bingo!!!!

And by "abuse" you mean the posibility higher oil temperatures.
Now does that really come as a surprise?

Originally Posted By: dave1251

A winner is you!

Not necessarily.

http://www.redlineoil.com/motorsports_detail.aspx?id=136&mid=12

Quote:
Mark relies on Red Line's 5W30 motor oil, staying with that factory viscosity to eliminate windage issues associated with high-revving LS engines.

As I said earlier, I read an article that said higher viscosity oils are used in cases where a lot of fuel is getting into the oil. Long endurance type racing.

If you look at Mobil's latest racing oil line, they are all 0w20/30 and one 0w50. The HT/HS #'s are not always that high either. There are other things to consider.

I keep seeing alot of 90`s era 4.6 V8 Mustangs and Crown Vic/Marquis that smoke (blue smoke),as well as my friend`s old 96 GT he had years ago. Why is this? Engine wear from being constantly raced with a thin oil,allowing for the oil to escape into the cumbustion process getting burned? Just a hunch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I keep seeing alot of 90`s era 4.6 V8 Mustangs and Crown Vic/Marquis that smoke (blue smoke),as well as my friend`s 96 GT. Why is this? Engine wear from being constantly raced with a thin oil,allowing for the oil to escape into the cumbustion process getting burned? Just a hunch.

The early modular engines were prone to developing bad valve seals resulting in this condition. It isn't wear-related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back