CAFE has Little to do with Motor Oil Viscosity Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: AEHaas

Oil flow. More flow directly relates to better lubrication and this is particularly true during the first 20 - 30 minutes of engine oil warm-up. Most wear occurs in this initial time period while almost none occurs during normal, fully warmed up, operation just driving down the highway.

Aehaas,

You keep saying it as long as I remember. Are you aware of any papers that show that start up wear is related to oil flow (or lack thereof) rather than problems with fuel/water cylinder wash and corrosion?

Facts? He don't need no stinking facts...............

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Nice religious thread on this placid Sunday, gentlemen. Global warming, anybody?

IMO, the thin oil movement is an offshoot of the wacko environmentalist/global warming cult, being born of the CAFE requirements..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Okay, so I'm guessing other factors like being more aerodynamic has nothing to do with gas milage?

There's one of those straw man (s) again...what on Earth does improved aerodynamics have to do with whether lighter oils were chosen for economy ?

Lubes and Grease article, they stated that they chose 0W-20 for economy and carbon emissions...not that they painted them Enzo Yellow so that the air knew how to get out of the way.

It's a package deal when you include CAFE...looking for whatever gives you the edge, I guess.

Sad part is the difference is is minimal anyways until they can think of some better engine design changes....

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: Shannow

Note, Ford, in the ecoboost engines are increasing bearing projected areas, and reducing clearances to allow the 20s to "better protect"...they aren't suggesting that failure would be immediate, but not as far off as they would like with the power density of that engine.

5W-30 oils are recommended for the 2011 & 2012 F-150 EcoBoost...

Actually the 5w20 does work, the 5w30 just gives them a cushion to work with....
And don't you think it would be 5W-20 if not for the turbocharging?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back