How much does oil viscosity really change mpg?

Ironically, so does mine. She works 0.6 miles away, has a big V-8 Infiniti SUV, and idles it every morning for at least 15 minutes. The best part? She considers herself an environmentalist and has a flag in her garden that says, “tree hugger”. I kid you not.

For the OP - statistics apply to groups. CAFE economy gains from oil viscosity changes work for large numbers, statistically significant sample sizes. You, your vehicle, and your driving are unlikely to be able to prove a difference one way or the other.
Thanks. I guess to me it seems like you're really cutting down on engine protection and for nothing. Can't wrap my head around why the push for change in specs. I didn't know if I'd see a real gain in jumping from my current oil to the lighter ones. I didn't want to and don't like the thought of it.

The B58 was still specced with the LL01/LL04 initially. Maybe the grades were in mind but I find it hard to believe, and the only reviews I can find show, that a 0w20 is good at protection as a xw40
I don’t know how the B58 manages oil temperature, but that’s key to the performance of any oil, and particularly to the performance of a 0W20. My Tundra, for example, specifies a 0W20 and has a fairly sophisticated water/oil cooler as part of the filter mount. Didn’t expect that on a regular truck with a V-8, but there it is. All the Volvos have an integral water/oil cooler built into the sump, been that way for decades. Both MB have very capable air/oil coolers. I’m willing to bet that the B58 has a sophisticated oil temperature management system, and in that case, I wouldn’t worry much about a 0W20.

I'm reading all the BMW specs of LL17FE vs LL01 vs LL04. New BMW engines wanting 0w12 down from 0w20 and before that 5w30/5w40s. So my question is with such a hard push to these light oils what is the real mpg gain? People say it's all because of CAFE laws but what kind of MPG difference would I see if I went from a 5w40 to say a 0w20?
Fractions of tenths of an mpg, in most cases, on a sample size of one (your vehicle). Environmental factors (temps, winds, tire pressures, inclined or declined road surfaces, etc) have far more impact than a couple cSt of viscosity or change in HTHS does.

I don’t know how the B58 manages oil temperature, but that’s key to the performance of any oil, and particularly to the performance of a 0W20. My Tundra, for example, specifies a 0W20 and has a fairly sophisticated water/oil cooler as part of the filter mount. Didn’t expect that on a regular truck with a V-8, but there it is. All the Volvos have an integral water/oil cooler built into the sump, been that way for decades. Both MB have very capable air/oil coolers. I’m willing to bet that the B58 has a sophisticated oil temperature management system, and in that case, I wouldn’t worry much about a 0W20.
Depends on equipment.
But even basic B58 has a very complex oil heating/cooling system.
1. All have fluid heat exchangers to warm up oil fast (the one you are referring to in Tundra). Even in old BMWs that do not have heat exchangers, a coolant line passes through the oil filter housing).
2. Thermostat is electronically controlled and has 4 different types of operation that are between HWY driving (high coolant temperature) and track driving, where the thermostat keeps coolant temperature as low as possible (previous engines, since N generation in 2004 had an electric water pump that does the same, like mine).
3. There is then radiator type (or two depending whether it is M Sport or S58 M model) oil cooler(s).
4. It has two cooling systems: one for engine one for intercooler.

BMW reported around 3 percent when moving away from LL01/LL04 to iirc LL01 FE. The push is based on tighter emissions and fuel efficiency standards as all automakers are moving towards lighter oils. Lighter grades do have approvals with a fuel efficiency component.

btw..20 grades were in mind during development of the b-series engine family. Features include IROX coated (polymer) bearings and changes in the flow of oil through the bearings, electronic rather than oil actuated VANOS solenoids.
That is marketing BS. Because LL01 can have an HTHS of 3.5mpas, and LL01FE can have an HTHS of 3.49mpas.
What they did is they compared the lowest possible HTHS in LL01FE and the highest possible HTHS in LL01.
That is like when oil companies say: our synthetic oils clean xxx times better than average mineral oil.

I went from 5W-30 to 5W-40, to 0W-30 and 20W-50 Red Line. The latter is about as viscous as we can get. I didn't notice any difference, in fact the run with Red Line might have been my most economical ever.

So I would say it's all in the noise, just know that the difference is there but we're talking 1-2%....
Well Redline runs on the thick side, it's possible there was better sealing and less blow by. Here is a oil that won't be broken down like your Grp3 oils as much. Probably runs cleaner too. You also have to look at operating temperature and driving style.

Ironically, so does mine. She works 0.6 miles away, has a big V-8 Infiniti SUV, and idles it every morning for at least 15 minutes. The best part? She considers herself an environmentalist and has a flag in her garden that says, “tree hugger”. I kid you not.

For the OP - statistics apply to groups. CAFE economy gains from oil viscosity changes work for large numbers, statistically significant sample sizes. You, your vehicle, and your driving are unlikely to be able to prove a difference one way or the other.
Also I suppose, all things equal including wasteful habits, the cold start and extended idling is the one instance where the differences in oil viscosity has the biggest effect? The oil stays cool 10-20 minutes , and driving the oil pump is must be a large part of the idle load with oil at -10C up to maybe 40C?
I guess if you do mostly cold start short tripping you could see a significant difference in fuel economy with thinner oil.

Also I think the effect of oil viscosity depends on your vehicles cruising rpm. At 60mph my Focus is near 2500 rpm, but the Outback is at 1600 rpm, so I would think the Focus would see more effect of lower viscosity oil than the Outback.
Also I guess it depends on if your vehicle has a variable speed or displacement oil pump. I would assume the electric ones are programmed to maximize efficiency by pumping the least amount they can get away with, given oil temp, engine rpm, and maybe throttle position?
So if you do cold start, short hwy trips an a manual trans car, running 0W16 vs 5W40 might really be noticable?

The B58 was still specced with the LL01/LL04 initially. Maybe the grades were in mind but I find it hard to believe, and the only reviews I can find show, that a 0w20 is good at protection as a xw40
Generally* speaking you have to engineer an engine to use a thinner grade rather than a thicker grade. So while the B-series did initially use LL01/LL04 it doesn't mean that it was engineered to use only LL01/LL04. I hope that makes sense.

Secondly, all markets are different. There are differences in fuel quality (ex, sulphur levels), emissions regulations, and operating environment. For example in the US beginning in 2015 LL01FE became standard fill as N-series engines were slowly replaced by the B-series. When the US moved to ULSG in 2020 BMW still has not moved from LL01FE to a low-saps 30 grade LL12FE+ even though the B-series get the Low-SAPs 20 grade. LL04/LL12FE has been available in parts of the EU for a decade or more.

People really overestimate the performance advantage of a heavier oil vs modern 20 grade in daily-to-day driving. It's the engineering that matters.

All that being said I do follow a BMW engine builder out of Germany and they have commented on chain guide wear with the B-series so maybe the 20 grades aren't that great for the autobahn but we don't know what oil the customer was using anyways.

*There was always a lot of talk about BMW bearings being too tight for 10w60 with regards to the naturally aspirated M-engines. Some owners have good results running 5w-50

Last edited:
You can look at the fuel economy test requirements for different oil grades in various oil standards.

Here are the requirements by grade for the test used for API SP:

ASTM FE Test.jpg

The difference between an xW-20 and xW-30 is 0.7%. This is an average of the FEI1 test with lightly aged oil, where the difference is 1.1%, and the FEI2 test with heavily aged oil, where the difference is 0.3%.

In the VW standards, a 0W-30 requires 0.5% better fuel economy than a 5W-30.

In the MB standards, an xW-30 requires 0.5-1.2% better fuel economy than an xW-40.

The differences would be larger when the oil is cold, or at light engine loads or idle.

I'd depends like anything. During warmup it could be fairly significant 3-5%?.. but once its warmed up reasonably its a very small amount.
you might notice it more in a phev as well because the motor isnt always running.

Somewhere I read an interview with a Toyota Engineer around the time they went from 0W-20 to 0W-16 it was like 2-3%. I wish I saved the interview.

3% is rounding error to an individual - but huge for CAFE on a fleet. Its for them, not for us.

That Toyota engineer is spouting nonsense then. The difference in viscosity between a 0w20 and a 0w16 is miniscule. Just look at the specs of M1 0w20 vs M1 0w16 for instance, the difference is 8.2 cst at 100c vs 7.6 cst at 100c. That's not even going to change your MPG by 0.2% let alone 2-3%.

Without a standardized laboratory test there is no way to come up with a representative value for everyday driving. It’s also highly dependent on the actual HT/HS difference, looking at the grade is pretty vague.
To add, another aspect is the friction modifier add pack. Possible that some oils having the same exact HTHS viscosity can have different friction levels in use. The loss in fuel economy is dependent on both the power put into shearing the oil film between moving parts, and also the rubbing friction between moving parts in the mixed and boundary layer realms of lubrication.

CeraTec by LiquiMoly (a friction modifier) actually did some tests showing a HP increase on the dyno due to the reduction in friction between moving parts. That would also equate to better fuel economy on the road. CeraTec also seems to cure the ticking almost instantly after adding it in the Ford Coyote 5.0L V8 per many people's reports. I've also come to the conclusion that the Coyote tick is sensitive to and caused by the friction level of the oil between moving parts. If the friction level is too high, it kicks off the ticking - most likely the rod big ends moving side-to-side on the crank journals.

Last edited:
Fractions of tenths of an mpg, in most cases, on a sample size of one (your vehicle). Environmental factors (temps, winds, tire pressures, inclined or declined road surfaces, etc) have far more impact than a couple cSt of viscosity or change in HTHS does.
Especially tire air pressure. That, and simply combine one trip once every year and it blows away any viscosity difference.

Generally* speaking you have to engineer an engine to use a thinner grade rather than a thicker grade. So while the B-series did initially use LL01/LL04 it doesn't mean that it was engineered to use only LL01/LL04. I hope that makes sense.

Secondly, all markets are different. There are differences in fuel quality (ex, sulphur levels), emissions regulations, and operating environment. For example in the US beginning in 2015 LL01FE became standard fill as N-series engines were slowly replaced by the B-series. When the US moved to ULSG in 2020 BMW still has not moved from LL01FE to a low-saps 30 grade LL12FE+ even though the B-series get the Low-SAPs 20 grade. LL04/LL12FE has been available in parts of the EU for a decade or more.

People really overestimate the performance advantage of a heavier oil vs modern 20 grade in daily-to-day driving. It's the engineering that matters.

All that being said I do follow a BMW engine builder out of Germany and they have commented on chain guide wear with the B-series so maybe the 20 grades aren't that great for the autobahn but we don't know what oil the customer was using anyways.

*There was always a lot of talk about BMW bearings being too tight for 10w60 with regards to the naturally aspirated M-engines. Some owners have good results running 5w-50
Thank you for the response. I just want to put it out there I’m not here to argue but to learn. For some **** reason I asked one question and it was like lighting a fuse in my brain. I almost wish I went back to knowing nothing and just threw whatever the gas station was selling back in. I guess by trying to understand the industry and why they’re doing what they’re doing I can make better decisions for myself. It’s not that MPG isn’t important to me but more wondering why the drastic change in oil recommendations lately and who they’re recommending them for. I truly find it interesting. Personally I don’t want the govt ever driving the industry. I believe competition breeds excellence. Before this new vehicle I bought I put Shell T6 in everything. But to be honest I knew I wouldn’t keep them forever. This new guy, my grenadier, could very well be my last vehicle. My grandmother, father, and aunt all have had Alzheimer’s at roughly 60 and the odds aren’t good so I bought this thing knowing it could be my last and the aviator in me makes me dig into everything systems related. So once you started responding to a question a while back I found myself debating if I should have gone into petroleum engineering instead lol.

You can look at the fuel economy test requirements for different oil grades in various oil standards.

Here are the requirements by grade for the test used for API SP:

View attachment 198806

The difference between an xW-20 and xW-30 is 0.7%. This is an average of the FEI1 test with lightly aged oil, where the difference is 1.1%, and the FEI2 test with heavily aged oil, where the difference is 0.3%.

In the VW standards, a 0W-30 requires 0.5% better fuel economy than a 5W-30.

In the MB standards, an xW-30 requires 0.5-1.2% better fuel economy than an xW-40.

The differences would be larger when the oil is cold, or at light engine loads or idle.
Thanks! This goes along with my “hand grenade” estimation of fractions of a tenth of an MPG. Great info!! 😉

I'll do one less gear banging session from 0 to 100 per gas tank and keep my 5W-30 vs 5W-20. 😄
Heck, with only 1% savings from going from 15w40 to 10w30, I’ll take the full-size spare from the trunk, toss it on the garage floor, and keep doing exactly what I’m doing. They must really think people are F’ing dumb with some of the crap they choose to make marketing materials (or dictate policy) with.

So what they’re telling you is, give up somewhere around 20% engine protection to save $3.50 (1 gallon) every month if you drive 24k miles per year at 20mpg… and even less if your vehicle’s current efficiency is greater than 20mpg. So for ~$50 per year savings, you can risk a full engine rebuild or trip to the junkyard! Seems like a great trade! 🙄

Back