CAFE and 5W-20 - The Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we are too lazy to do a decent search...

5w-20 was backwards specified in many ford models in an effort to ensure that enough 5w-20 was supplied and actually used by the consumer for Ford to claim the CAFE credits. The concern of the agency responsible for CAFE compliance (EPA?) was concerned that users would continue to use what ever grade they liked regardless of the manufacturers specification if the oil was not readily availible and widely specified.

The backwards specifications opened a larger market for the 5w-20 oils and helped Ford in their case that enough vehicles could use the product so that manufacturers would actually make it. As a result, they got to claim their CAFE credits. The actual letters are available in this forum, way back when, if you care to search for them.

36.gif
23.gif

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
Two days ago.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1365998

The subject of that thread is not how CAFE figures might influence oil recommendation.

The common theme in the first one I found using the search function and yours and the hundreds and hundreds prior is the connection between CAFE and 5W20. Nothing new.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
How about spending some time browsing the site/threads?

The search sucks but a little effort is worth it.

Information is not instant. Too many want it right now.

Bill

PS: 5w-20 is a excellent oil and protects well. I'd use it in a sec if I had a vehicle that required it. My Dad's Honda powered Vue has ONLY used 5w-20 and is clean as it was when new, gets excellent MPG and runs like new @ 80k.

Bill, with all due respect, I have read a lot of material on this site. If the matter has been discussed often then how come it isn't the direct subject of several posts? If it is buried as a sideline within other posts well that isn't the same thing. Almost every subject on this website is contained within another thread somewhere. Other than a UOA how unique is anything. I'm not even asking what the quality of 5W-20 is.

Show me a thread that has my subject as its subject.

Originally Posted By: Mustang_Cougar
I'm outta here...

goofit8.jpg

Nooooooooo, don't do it man! You'll miss the next 5W20 CAFE/revelation or M1 bash or the always fascinating Pennzoil causes sludge conversation overheard at Autozone.

Bill

PS: 5w-20 is a excellent oil and protects well. I'd use it in a sec if I had a vehicle that required it. My Dad's Honda powered Vue has ONLY used 5w-20 and is clean as it was when new, gets excellent MPG and runs like new @ 80k.

Bill, with all due respect, I have read a lot of material on this site. If the matter has been discussed often then how come it isn't the direct subject of several posts? If it is buried as a sideline within other posts well that isn't the same thing. Almost every subject on this website is contained within another thread somewhere. Other than a UOA how unique is anything. I'm not even asking what the quality of 5W-20 is.

I'm trying to figure out what you're looking for here, Art. Every thicker or thinner thread goes into this topic all the time. Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but from my slobovian view you appear to require some distinct rhyme and meter to the thread for the information to be valid.

I sorta go through this on the various ministry related boards and councils that I belong to. The "finer details and distinctions" seem to carry so much weight in the "propriety" of a dicussion. Meanwhile I'm rolling my eyes chomping at the bit for some dragon to slay (as in "Can we please get to the discussion instead of tying it up in committee?")

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Bill

I'm trying to figure out what you're looking for here, Art. Every thicker or thinner thread goes into this topic all the time. Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but from my slobovian view you appear to require some distinct rhyme and meter to the thread for the information to be valid.

I sorta go through this on the various ministry related boards and councils that I belong to. The "finer details and distinctions" seem to carry so much weight in the "propriety" of a dicussion. Meanwhile I'm rolling my eyes chomping at the bit for some dragon to slay (as in "Can we please get to the discussion instead of tying it up in committee?")

Gary,

All I asked was, "is it reasonable to believe CAFE numbers motivated the spec of 5W-20 in US vehicles."

Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
...Pennzoil causes sludge conversation overheard at Autozone.

arnoldst3.jpg

Last edited:
Gary,

All I asked was, "is it reasonable to believe CAFE numbers motivated the spec of 5W-20 in US vehicles."

[/quote]

I think it is reasonable to beleive CAFE did in fact motivate the 5w20 spec.
I'm not buying into it for my vehicles. My 07 tundra spec'd for 20w will be seeing a 30w from now on, and SSO is a recomended oil for it thru Amsoil. I notice NO mpg loss whatsoever with a 5w30 i have in it now. The motor is noticeably quieter as well.

My 08 corolla is back spec'd for a 20w which is the current fill. I am experiencing consumption, noisier engine, and start up noise when cold. None of these issues was experienced with the last fill of 5w30. Oh, and no mpg increase vs. 30w whatsoever.

All U.S.CAFE B.S. IMO.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Bill

Gary,

Under that limited confine ...YES. I would not conclude anything beyond that ..because of it.

Well....I got better wear numbers using Synpower 5w30 vs PP 5w20 in a Ford that spec's 5w20, so that's conclusive proof that 5w30 is better than 5w20....or is it that Synpower is better than PP?...or one sample was taken from summer driving, one from winter?....or that I really don't care all that much and run any quality synthetic 5w20 or 5w30 that happens to be on sale at the best price! :)

PP 5W-20 and Valvoline 5W-30, but the thicker oil returned a better UOA. It's probably still on page one of the UOA section. I'll look for it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back