CAFE and 5W-20 - The Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it better for us or just better for them?

So many people mention that the only reason 5W-20 is spec'd for a U.S. auto is to bump up CAFE figures. The implication being without CAFE the spec would be 5W-30. Apparently the identical engines, outside of the U.S., do not specify 5W-20 and therein lies the speculative support. Is it reasonable to accept this as the truth?

I have one of the cars that Ford back spec'd to 5W-20. That contradicts the CAFE argument, since previously sold vehicles have no bearing on the figures.

It seems the truth is not so easy to come by when you concern yourself with motor oil.

d'oh. Not another 5w20 thread again.

It's very simple.

Use 5w20 during warantee period.

Outside the warantee feel free to use whatever you like. I challenge you to find some literature to support that 5w20 provide inadequate lubrication.

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo

Yup...and why not? We've been rehashing every other silly thread/concept for years now, so why not roll out a classic that seemed to be settled before?

BTW: Yes, 5w20 is part of the "conspiracy." Tinfoil hats, flat earth, staged moon landings and the SAE New World Order. Everything in life is dubious and done to screw you...accept it now and start watching "In Search Of...with Leonard Nemoy."

If it lets me eke out 1/2 a mile per gallon over a tank with no appreciable wear difference over the 15+ year lifetime of my next vehicle, a few free tanks of gas along the way wouldn't hurt.

This is for a daily-driven naturally aspirated vehicle not used for towing. For boosted vehicles or racing, use whatever you want.

Originally Posted By: Mustang_Cougar

Yup...and why not? We've been rehashing every other silly thread/concept for years now, so why not roll out a classic that seemed to be settled before?

BTW: Yes, 5w20 is part of the "conspiracy." Tinfoil hats, flat earth, staged moon landings and the SAE New World Order. Everything in life is dubious and done to screw you...accept it now and start watching "In Search Of...with Leonard Nemoy."

Hey Bro. I don't need you to answer this question. For you to write what you did instead of skipping the post is indicative of a weak minded coward. Getting off treating people that way is more disruptive to the integrity of this website than an oft-repeated subject.

Relax, "Art."

Maybe you should try the "search" function next time you believe you have some ground-breaking commentary to share. Seriously, you just might be surprised to find out that this particular subject has been discussed ad nauseum. Furthermore, just as with the recent rehashing (re-bashing?) of Mobil 1, nothing comes out of it but arguing and conjecture.

BTW: As far as I'm concerned, I really don't care what you think of me, being as you've been here since November and have a handful of posts. Perhaps I should say something to the effect that "your inability to use that basic tool called the "search" function is indicative of a weak minded idiot." However, I'm not doing that...I'm just illustrating that you need to chill out a bit and rest those hurt feelings. Perhaps sarcasm is a concept lost on you; you'd better learn it, as this forum relishes in it (to illustrate, see the 1K Mobil 1 thread).

Buh-bye, Art.

28.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Hmmm, I haven't had a thread locked in a while, not to mention I've been "ban-free" for like five years now (it was Audi Junkie & I that did prison time, if I recall correctly).

Oh well, I don't feel bad for making "tinfoil hat" commentary. This place has gotten way too "heavy"...a little biting humor and sarcasm is sorely lacking.

This is one topic where "The Truth" is not known, and I'd bet my life savings that it will never be known.

Use whatever oil you like, change it before it's done, and enjoy your Ford.

Well, giving him the benefit of the doubt, the search function does suck pretty bad.

Maybe time for a forums overhaul just like how the main page was redone?

Anyway. OP, personally I rely on literature to make decisions... if you come across any substantial reason why NOT to run 5w20, then I'm all ears.

uh... if you are going to attack Art for rehashing a old subject, then you are going to have to knock a lot of posters for doing the same thing...

gee.. How about which is better for my car YB or Quakerstate?

How about the infamous discussed ad nauseam Wal-Mart Supertech oil and filter discussions?

Or Castrol Edge bull-hockey?

Oh I know.. Mobil 1 Does it suck? Is there a big conspiracy out there thats aimed at me???

How about " I'm really concerned about the environment and I want to do extended oil changes with lots of UOA's and see how a really cheap filter works with that.. Too cheap or just stupid enough to be mildly amusing?

Honestly, this whole site has been nothing but rehashed [censored]... I haven't seen anything worthwhile and groundbreaking or technically interesting in a long long time.

In my profession, its always fun to watch obsessed people knock others that are just like them.. They can recognize it in others but never ( heaven forbid!) in themselves.

In my opinion, todays oils are so good, there isn't anything to complain about so you need to make something up.

The only oil related failures is not oil at all.. its human.

Well getting back on topic. Something Art mentioned:

Quote: I have one of the cars that Ford back spec'd to 5W-20. That contradicts the CAFE argument, since previously sold vehicles have no bearing on the figures.

I also wonder why a company would bother back spec'ing anything, it certainly isn't going to help with the CAFE numbers. Maybe they figure that an engine will blow with the thinner grade oil and that might just jump start sales in a depressed auto sales environment. I think NOT....
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Quote: I have one of the cars that Ford back spec'd to 5W-20. That contradicts the CAFE argument, since previously sold vehicles have no bearing on the figures.

I also wonder why a company would bother back spec'ing anything, it certainly isn't going to help with the CAFE numbers. Maybe they figure that an engine will blow with the thinner grade oil and that might just jump start sales in a depressed auto sales environment. I think NOT....
grin2.gif

I've thought about this before and have to wonder what's in it for the manufacturer to back spec. It wouldn't surprise me if CAFE has a hand in this, persuading manufacturers to back spec.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

grin2.gif

I've thought about this before and have to wonder what's in it for the manufacturer to back spec. It wouldn't surprise me if CAFE has a hand in this, persuading manufacturers to back spec.

Makes you wonder that's for sure.

It's very possible that back in 97 they would have wanted to recommend an oil like 5w20, but couldn't, simply due to the lack of availability..

It's very possible that back in 97 they would have wanted to recommend an oil like 5w20, but couldn't, simply due to the lack of availability..

Yeah, that's what I thinking. Look at the Lima block for Ford...they've back spec'd that engine maybe all the way to the Pinto (just kidding). In the interim, nothing dynamic has really changed w/that block (other than stroking the 2.3l to 2.5). So, if 5w20 was widely available in the 90's, Ford would have used it; alas they couldn't.

However, that flies in the face of our accepted cynicism of all things big and corporate. A company like Ford saying they are doing this for the consumer's benefit (e.g., better gas mileage) is just not gonna be credible. And this in spite of the fact that here, on Bob's giant forum of oil, there isn't one single report of engine failure due to back spec'ing from 30w to 20w. But the speculation ran (or is trying to run once again) rampant...sort reminds you of old women in a knitting circle, no?

Last edited:
Relax, "Art."

Maybe you should try the "search" function next time you believe you have some ground-breaking commentary to share. Seriously, you just might be surprised to find out that this particular subject has been discussed ad nauseum. Furthermore, just as with the recent rehashing (re-bashing?) of Mobil 1, nothing comes out of it but arguing and conjecture.

BTW: As far as I'm concerned, I really don't care what you think of me, being as you've been here since November and have a handful of posts. Perhaps I should say something to the effect that "your inability to use that basic tool called the "search" function is indicative of a weak minded idiot." However, I'm not doing that...I'm just illustrating that you need to chill out a bit and rest those hurt feelings. Perhaps sarcasm is a concept lost on you; you'd better learn it, as this forum relishes in it (to illustrate, see the 1K Mobil 1 thread).

Buh-bye, Art.

+1. Over and over and over and always like no one has ever thought of it before.

Relax, "Art."

Buh-bye, Art.

No thread topic, in the last 2 years, matched CAFE's relationship to 5W-20. These searches also returned no matches:

site:www.bobistheoilguy.com "CAFE 5W-20"
site:www.bobistheoilguy.com "CAFE oil"

I like the site and the people on it. I thought it was a good question. If it's not I'd rather own that responsibility, than be the author of indecency. Search the internet for disrespectful online behavior. That's been discussed at greater length than any weight motor oil.

How about spending some time browsing the site/threads?

The search sucks but a little effort is worth it.

Information is not instant. Too many want it right now.

Bill

PS: 5w-20 is a excellent oil and protects well. I'd use it in a sec if I had a vehicle that required it. My Dad's Honda powered Vue has ONLY used 5w-20 and is clean as it was when new, gets excellent MPG and runs like new @ 80k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back