C-Class to come exclusively with 4-cylinder engines, including AMGs.

these rumors have been out for a while.

i had an 07 C63 for about a month, coming from an E55 it was boring, gutless and just as sloppy as the bigger sedan. i drove a new one with the twin turbo v8 (crippled to under 500 hp) and the 9 speed auto + modern traction control makes it fly, simply no comparison at all. horsepower is only part of the story

considering they already have an emissions ready 2L 4 cylinder engine making 400hp, I think they can pull it off and make it faster than the outgoing V8. stock at least.

Last edited:
Had an S class for about a week. My wife couldn't figure out whether to put the Presidential Seal on the doors, or just the fender flags! :D
It didn't fit my lifestyle very well, let alone my garage!
The E suits me fine, but I would LOVE to put that AMG turbo 4 in it!

these rumors have been out for a while.

i had an 07 C63 for about a month, coming from an E55 it was boring, gutless and just as sloppy as the bigger sedan. i drove a new one with the twin turbo v8 (crippled to under 500 hp) and the 9 speed auto + modern traction control makes it fly, simply no comparison at all. horsepower is only part of the story

considering they already have an emissions ready 2L 4 cylinder engine making 400hp, I think they can pull it off and make it faster than the outgoing V8. stock at least.
I hate the 4 cylinder in my wife's C300. It's just so unrefined for the price point. Sure it's fast but the experience is just blah. Benz should've thrown the I6 into the C AMG but I suspect they're more concerned with saving money for EV development.

Edit: For the record I don't believe a 4-cylinder has any business being associated with a luxury price tag regardless of how much power it makes.

Last edited:
I hate the 4 cylinder in my wife's C300. It's just so unrefined for the price point. Sure it's fast but the experience is just blah. Benz should've thrown the I6 into the C AMG but I suspect they're more concerned with saving money for EV development.

Edit: For the record I don't believe a 4-cylinder has any business being associated with a luxury price tag regardless of how much power it makes.
Yep. A colleague of mine has 2017 C Class and the 4cylinder leaves a lot to be desired. It’s loud, and the start/stop engine is about the worst I’ve ever ridden in. It shakes the whole car.

It's the end result of CAFE, they had 6 cylinder engines in the previous years.

BMWTurboDzl said:

Yep. A colleague of mine has 2017 C Class and the 4cylinder leaves a lot to be desired. It’s loud, and the start/stop engine is about the worst I’ve ever ridden in. It shakes the whole car.
My 2018 doesn't have any of these issues, and the power is more than adequate. It compares well to the V6 (non turbo) in my 2014 E Class.
And when you can see peaks of 40 mpg on the dash, you know it's a pretty good choice.
Now, for a fun drive, this engine in an A Class is good!
Had one as a loaner for a couple of days, it reminded me a LOT of my old 1986 Merkur.

the 45 turbo 4 cyl is no bs. It’s got a lot of power for the displacement. But idk about paying $70k for a 4 banger. I rather just go full electric at that point.

Small (2.0l and below) engines, mostly fours, have always been around in the Euro cars, even the luxo badges, made for the markets where displacement-based tax rules penalize larger engines (recall the Ferrari 208GTx models).

With the ever-tightening emissions regulations, the development money has gone into making smaller displacement engines with forced induction and such to take the place of larger ones that can't comply with the newer rules. That's been the biggest shift over the last decade or so.

The EU is now pressing harder, with new test procedures, and slapping particulate filters on petrol engines. Wait until CARB does the same.

Back