C-Class to come exclusively with 4-cylinder engines, including AMGs.

I find the sound (drone and buzz) of 4 cylinder engines annoying. The drone that they produce is particularly unpleasant to me on uphill climbs. 3 cylinder engines, on the other hand, have a wonderful growl that I find less bothersome.

The Motus motorcycle had a V4 engine, as did a number of Yamaha and Honda products. All of which avoid the annoying drone and buzz. Yamaha built a number of inline 4 cylinder engines with an unusual crankshaft, that resulted in a different sound, although I'm not at all sure I'd call it pleasant.

I'd like to see the higher end manufacturers that choose to employ 4 cylinder engines, address the low quality feel that such engines produce.

This is barely news as turbo 4 cylinders are the only option on most C class cars sold in the US and Canada. Only the C400 and the AMG models (which represent a small fraction of C Class sales) come with something else. I honesty doubt the the average status conscious suit C Class buyer knows or cares that their new C300 comes with 4 or 6 cylinders.

This is barely news as turbo 4 cylinders are the only option on most C class cars sold in the US and Canada. Only the C400 and the AMG models (which represent a small fraction of C Class sales) come with something else. I honesty doubt the the average status conscious suit C Class buyer knows or cares that their new C300 comes with 4 or 6 cylinders.
the current C63 has one of the most obnoxious factory exhausts in the industry. many buyers will care about that, trust me

In my experience, the emblem means more to them than anything else. So much so that they buy AMG badges and glue them on ahead of the model designation. It's good for a laugh during my boring commute.

the current C63 has one of the most obnoxious factory exhausts in the industry. many buyers will care about that, trust me
Well look at the bright side, when they do release the 4 banger AMG C43 or C63 maybe the exhaust note will be an marked improvement.

I had an '86 S-Class, the W126 420SEL, and a '97 C, the W202 C230 NA. The two displayed night and day difference in acceleration and ride quality, with the C-Class coming off the poorer in every department. To be fair, one was a big car and one was not. But that was when MB was starting to lose its way.

My BMW 3-Series with the turbo 4, though smaller in displacement than the C230, was again light-years ahead of it, and not just because it had ~100hp more under the hood.

Last edited:
Back